• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shy Bladder Syndrome

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Falling into the odd medical syndrome category - I never knew this had a proper name!!

Man With Shy Bladder Syndrome Files Suit

Wed May 19, 8:15 PM ET

By MARK NIESSE, Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA - A man who says he was fired by Caterpillar Inc. because he wasn't able to urinate for a drug test sued the equipment giant Wednesday, alleging discrimination.

The plaintiff says he suffers from paruresis, more commonly known as shy bladder syndrome, and was physically unable to urinate into a specimen cup, despite having drunk 40 ounces of water and being given three hours to complete the task.

Tom Smith, a 55-year-old assembly line worker, was suspended by Caterpillar a day after the aborted test in November, and dismissed on Dec. 5.

"This is supposed to be a country where losing a job for a disorder like that shouldn't be a problem," said Smith, who worked at the company's Griffin plant more than three years. "It's just a matter of simple justice."

Smith contends Caterpillar violated the Americans with Disabilities Act and that companies should offer alternate drug testing methods such as hair or blood tests. He wants his job back and unspecified monetary damages.

Smith's lawsuit claims he ultimately was able to provide a urine sample during an exam by a doctor appointed by Caterpillar, but the company refused to test the sample because he failed to produce it within the allotted three-hour period.

Smith passed an independent hair drug test he paid for himself before he was fired, but Caterpillar required him to pass the urine test. Hair tests are generally considered to be more accurate than urine tests and detect drug use over a few months rather than a few weeks.

Peoria, Ill.-based Caterpillar says its drug tests are in place to protect employees' safety.

"We believe that our drug testing policy does not violate the Americans with Disabilities Act, and we intend to defend against the allegations," said spokeswoman Linda Fairbanks, who declined further comment.

Employers conduct about 45 million drug tests each year, and a vast majority use urine samples.

Paruresis is recognized by the American Psychiatric Association as a social phobia, but no government agency has classified it as a disability, said Steven Soifer, president of the International Paruresis Association.

As much as 7 percent of the general population has said in surveys they have trouble using the bathroom away from home, said Soifer, an associate professor of social work at the University of Maryland in Baltimore.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=/ap/20040520/ap_on_re_us/shy_bladder_lawsuit

They fired the guy for not being able to pee.
That's just taking the piss!

Apparently it's almost impossible to take a leak if there's somebody taller than you at the next urinal...or so I've heard. Doesn't bother me of course.

Well not much anyway.

From my unelevated point of view, being a short person and all, I can safely say that I do actually find it hard to pee at wall urinals, I always have to wait for the room to empty or use a cubicle.

Didn't know it could be down to height.

Strangely enough I can pee quite easily when wild camping even with people around.

Ok that sounds, weird dunnit?

A queue for the urinals also seems to inhibit performance...

I find it almost impossible to urinate if I think anyone is around who might be able to hear. It can be a bitch at work.

What about the guy in the sideline in the recent FT, who had lost his fingerprints due to his many years in his job, but now the job required fingerprints for security, he was sacked?

Hubcap's 6'3" and can never urinate when there's anyone within a 3 mile radius.
I used to have trouble too, and then I discovered it was a side effect of my tricyclic anti depressants. Always read the leaflet.

beakboo said:
Hubcap's 6'3" and can never urinate when there's anyone within a 3 mile radius.
Spouse, too, can't do it. He can urinate in the woods, though, as long as he knows no one is watching.

I just began to post my method for overcoming this and other similar problems but got half way through and realized that not only does my method sound utterly insane but explaining it was giving waaay too much information.

Suffice it to say that I have found that if you train yourself to associate a certain hand gesture, mental image, thought process etc with the successful carrying out of a particular action under favourable circumstances the employment of that physical and mental imagery can help lead to the successful completion of that activity under less favourable circumstances.

I always like to think of the pizzicato in Autumn from Vivaldi's "Four seasons" - the rain drop effect works for me most of the time.

I just worry that when I'm old and in a wheel chair (I hope not - but it happens) some kind soul will take me to a concert and I will wet myself!:eek!!!!:

Well it doesn't have to be anything to do with water - that relies on the automatic instinctive mental connection you already have between running water and weeing, which is obviously not sufficient in a lot of cases .... what I am talking about it creating a new deliberate and powerful connection so that if you make a conscious decision and always think about ... oh I dunno ... the surge thrill release of dropping a gear and flooring it to overtake at speed or something of that nature for example at the exact moment you start to piss and get the connection built up strongly enough in your mind the thought will lead to the action and the action to the thought ......... this in no way removes volition from the equation and so shouldn't actually lead to involuntary micturition whilst driving ...........

This is mean.

I had to do a Mandatory Drug Test when I was in prison, so I got to pee in a small cup in front of a Geordie screw who kept cracking cheap jokes at my expense and a butch dyke who was going for the world record of how much gold jewellery she could get away with with her uniform. If I didn't manage it in the time limit I'd have been up before the governor the next morning for 'adjudication'.

Should have chucked it in their f*cking faces.

Timble said:
A queue for the urinals also seems to inhibit performance...

My brother is the most pee-shy guy I've ever seen. You should have seen his reaction when we went to a major league baseball game for the first time and the men's room consisted of guys standing shoulder to shoulder in front of a 50-foot-long urine trough.

can't use urinals. I hate them. Theres something about standing in a line with other guys in an inch of stale pee that puts me right off.....

FLFU

The most common name for this condition in the States is "fuel line freeze-up."

By the way, in making appeals under the Americans with Disabilities Act, it's not usually important that the condition in question be specifically mentioned in or covered under the Act. EVERYTHING IS.....except for "voluntary" disabilities. That is, abuse of and addiction to alcohol, illegal drugs and/or gambling.

Steven Soifer, president of the International Paruresis Association
I'm always amazed at how many strange societies there are. No doubt they have a regular magazine or newsletter - perhaps it'll feature in "Have I got news for you" one day! :D

Egan~ said:
can't use urinals. I hate them. Theres something about standing in a line with other guys in an inch of stale pee that puts me right off.....

And remember those old sweets - pineapple chunks - why is there always a pile of them at one end?

I wouldn't bother, they taste awful!

Paruresis

I still remember an attack of paruresis I experienced in November, 1994, on the very last day I ever spent alone with my late Dad.

I stood at a urinal with Dad (who'd already finished) waiting a little impatiently behind me.

"Do you often have this problem?" he asked concernedly, at last realizing that I was having difficulty.

"No," I replied. "Only when some old man stands behind me going 'Hurry up! Hurry up!'"

Spookdaddy said:
And remember those old sweets - pineapple chunks - why is there always a pile of them at one end?

I wouldn't bother, they taste awful!
The blue ones unblock your nose a treat, though.

i'm fine peeing. Its pooing that is the trouble. When I go and stay with a friend or a relative more than fifty or miles away from home for some wierd insecurity-based reason my appetite disappears, my system seizes and i cannot go to the loo. I never seem to lose weight. No matter how long I'm away, a week at most. its as if my metabolism shuts down too! Very odd this toilet thing.

Back