• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sighting (13th Dec 2022)

Since the sighting only lasted three or four seconds, I think that doesn't really allow enough time for an accurate assessment of its shape or flight-path. Indeed, that time is so short that it seems unlikely to be any kind of large craft, alien or not; nothing large could move that fast. I suspect it was a large, vaguely-triangular bird, perhaps a goose or maybe an owl, swooping down to land.

The fact that Feen saw a pair of lighter patches on this shape suggests that the bird had some lighter feathers on the underside; a Canada goose, maybe, which has a patch of lighter feathers under its wing.
il_1588xN.3257362272_6585.jpg
On a slightly different note, I was out walking with the dog one night just after dark and, from above me, came the most unearthly noise. I couldn't pinpoint what it was, a kind of whistling honking sound. Again (because she's my barometer for weird) the dog didn't react so I just stood and looked up and puzzled...

and when they flew across near the moon, I realised it was a skein of geese. I recognised the noise as soon as I saw them, but in the dark and unseen it was incredibly spooky.

On a slightly different note, I was out walking with the dog one night just after dark and, from above me, came the most unearthly noise. I couldn't pinpoint what it was, a kind of whistling honking sound. Again (because she's my barometer for weird) the dog didn't react so I just stood and looked up and puzzled...

and when they flew across near the moon, I realised it was a skein of geese. I recognised the noise as soon as I saw them, but in the dark and unseen it was incredibly spooky.

This just reminded me of an odd bird related experience I had in, I suppose, my early-mid teens and which I'd almost forgotten about.

I was lying awake at about 1 or 2 in the morning. It was pitch black outside - can't remember the time of year though. Anyway I heard the repeated cry of a single bird in the distance - odd because of the hour of night and the fact I didn't really recognise it at all, despite being pretty familiar with the calls of most birds that appeared in our bit of Wales. It was a bit buzzard like, but wasn't a buzzard - not at that hour anyway.

The call got closer and closer and I got a distinct sense it was coming towards the house from the south. At this point the call very distinctly circled, a wide circle around the house and over the surrounding fields, but centred more or less overhead. Finally after a single circuit it faded away again to the north.

I realise that it was, I'm sure, some sort of unfamiliar bird passing overhead but the whole thing had a very unsettling feeling to it.

This just reminded me of an odd bird related experience I had in, I suppose, my early-mid teens and which I'd almost forgotten about.

I was lying awake at about 1 or 2 in the morning. It was pitch black outside - can't remember the time of year though. Anyway I heard the repeated cry of a single bird in the distance - odd because of the hour of night and the fact I didn't really recognise it at all, despite being pretty familiar with the calls of most birds that appeared in our bit of Wales. It was a bit buzzard like, but wasn't a buzzard - not at that hour anyway.

The call got closer and closer and I got a distinct sense it was coming towards the house from the south. At this point the call very distinctly circled, a wide circle around the house and over the surrounding fields, but centred more or less overhead. Finally after a single circuit it faded away again to the north.

I realise that it was, I'm sure, some sort of unfamiliar bird passing overhead but the whole thing had a very unsettling feeling to it.
That sort of behaviour sounds like a lone goose, separated from the flock and looking for them. One single goose does have a very 'whistly' sound to it, like the mew of a buzzard.

Reactions: BS3
If it was a goose coming down to land then I would have known about it as it would have been splattered all over one of the nearby houses in the estate (judging by the speed it was going). I don't know how to describe it properly and I just wish that there was someone else there to see it as well. As I said I don't know what it was and probably never will and I guess its not really important either.

If it was a goose coming down to land then I would have known about it as it would have been splattered all over one of the nearby houses in the estate (judging by the speed it was going). I don't know how to describe it properly and I just wish that there was someone else there to see it as well. As I said I don't know what it was and probably never will and I guess its not really important either.

maximus otter

Back