• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Silver Streamers

A

Anonymous

On an off for years I occasinally see these silver streaks the size of ants before my eyes,They dont seem to be physical I cant touch them they seem to appear from inside my eyes

They seem to appear when Im hungry or havent eaten it may be from a lack of vitamins or something.

No doctor has a clue what Im talking about.

Anyone ever have this happen to them

Are they silver or grey?

If grey, probably just floaters. I've got one permanently lodged in my eye jelly just off center (so if I try to focus on it, my eyes skitter down and to the left, very annoying).

If silver, certain things can cause "sparklies" to appear in your vision, such as if your blood pressure is low. These, for me, almost look like silver coloured fire works going off in my field of vision (the big, typical blooming ones). I don't see why they couldn't be streaks.

Third possibility is just a guess, but maybe some wierd form of hypoglycemia? Do you have a head ache at all before/after/during when this happens?

Finally, you could possibly have some sort of neurological misalignment or ailment. Err, that sounds bad, but I mean something along the lines of synesthesia (but, err, not synesthesia). A possibility may be a tumour, though unlikely. Have you had a CT scan since these streaks started appearing?

Of course, there could be some other bizarre reason, but I would think it's probably physiological from what you describe (and I get from your post you seem to think it is physiological as well, correct me if I'm wrong).

Some more description would help, if it is at all possible.

i do have low blood pressue i think that and the hypoglcemia-(spelling) may be it

they do look like fire works silver like magnessium burning

it usually comes if i havent eaten for a while

I sometimes get a similar thing if I stand up too fast, sort of a burst of silver sparklies.

I am extremely nearsighted and can focus quite close up to my eyes, and I have noticed that when I have my glasses off and am facing a light-colored area I can see tiny jelly-like things. they seem to be unicellular animals on the surface of the eye. They are usually elongated and the perimeter is well defined. they are not flashes like you are experiencing.
I first noticed them as a kid but have never mentioned it to anybody as they would probably think I'm a nut and I would rather keep my nuthood to myself..

Pharmboy, they are DEFINITELY 'floaters' which are microscopic bits of debris left over from the formation of the blood vessels of your eyeball. They are harmless, everyone has them, and you shouldn't worry. ;)

"i do have low blood pressue i think that and the hypoglcemia-(spelling) may be it

they do look like fire works silver like magnessium burning

it usually comes if i havent eaten for a while"

My advice would be to improve your diet (if applicable), eat smaller but more frequent meals (most likely cause, given the circumstances), and drink more non-alcoholic fluids. This should effectively prevent your blood pressure from dipping and causing visual disturbances, as well as just being a good idea in general. Some other solutions are increasing salt intake, or drinking coffee.

As to when people see fireworks (or stars) when they stand up, that's postural hypotension. It (hypotension and postural hypotension) can be a symptom of diabetes, nerve disorders, infection, allergies, alcoholism, dietary deficiencies, or very rarely failure of the adrenal gland. It can also be a symptom of pregnancy, or simply due to genetic factors you could simply have naturally low blood pressure.

As to Pharmboy, escargot is dead on. Floaters are annoying but not a problem.

Disclaimer: you probably should see a doctor anyways, to rule out underlying medical conditions. (this directed at people with low blood pressure).

blairsden said:
On an off for years I occasinally see these silver streaks the size of ants before my eyes,They dont seem to be physical I cant touch them they seem to appear from inside my eyes

They seem to appear when Im hungry or havent eaten it may be from a lack of vitamins or something.

No doctor has a clue what Im talking about.

Anyone ever have this happen to them

I get this occasionally myself when I cough hard. I put it down to having high blood pressure. I also have diabetes, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with it.
I'd suggest that you get your blood pressure checked.

Pharmboy said:
I am extremely nearsighted and can focus quite close up to my eyes, and I have noticed that when I have my glasses off and am facing a light-colored area I can see tiny jelly-like things. they seem to be unicellular animals on the surface of the eye. They are usually elongated and the perimeter is well defined. they are not flashes like you are experiencing.
I first noticed them as a kid but have never mentioned it to anybody as they would probably think I'm a nut and I would rather keep my nuthood to myself..

I've seen this as well, as I am very shortsighted too.
I think it may be because a lot of light gets reflected back into the eye, and magnifies these bugs that live on our eyes.

Naw, not bugs, but clumps of protein left over from the formation of the eye. They float around in the acqueous humours, appear as sort of a grey splotch or small shadow, and they can become lodged in place.

Annoying but benign.

Back