• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Simultaneous Dreams

dindix

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm just kind of curious how frequently this happens to other people. It's never happened to me before, but my boyfriend claims that a similar thing happened to him with another (earlier) girlfriend.

One night this past year I had a very odd dream. I won't say it's any more odd than any of my other dreams, but it was pretty weird. I dreamed I was at work in an office building. One of my real-life co-workers and my sister were both there. I know my co-worker very well, which was helpful in playing out this scenario. I dreamed that I walked into the ladies' and found my co-worker and sister staring at a pile of money someone left in the sink. Everyone's response was different, and everyone's response was very true to how they would act in real life. My sister started counting up the money, intending to walk away with it. My co-worker was determined to find out the rightful owner of the money. I was very suspicious about the whole thing and was trying to convince the others to just walk away.

When I woke up, I wanted to share my odd dream with my boyfriend, so I rolled over and started telling him about it. We share a bed, by the way. As I started telling him about my dream, he got a strange look on his face and said, "I had the same dream!"

In his dream, he was with his best friend in a parking garage. They were just walking around and they happened on a pile of money. My boyfriend started picking up the money and stuffing it in his pockets. His friend noticed the money, picked some bills up, and immediately asked the first person he saw - a well-dressed gentleman standing nearby -- if it belonged to him. The man said that it did, and took it, then looked accusingly at my boyfriend. My boyfirend did not want to lose the money he had in his pockets, so he pretended not to notice the man. Then he woke up.

The scene and characters aren't the same, but the theme definitely is. What was so strange was that in each dream, the cast of characters all reacted exactly as they probably would in real life. Everyone's personality in dreamland was exactly the same as in real life. It was a very interesting expereince -- anyone have any thoughts on it?

My cousin and I were housemates for several years and several times we dreamed about the same things. We'd also voice what the other one was thinking. I guess our minds had become attuned to each other.

Yep. That happened to me and my best friend in high school. I'll never forget it. I dreamed that I had a big bag of cocaine (very strange, as we had never even SEEN coke) and she kept trying to take it away from me. Throughout this dream, I was very angry with her for wanting to take my stash. Eventually, I lept up onto a horse (white?) and rode away. When I told her about it, she related how she dreamed that I had a bag of cocaine, and she really didn't want me to have it. She knew I was getting angry with her, and eventually, of course, I lept onto my horse and was off. What it all meant, we had no clue. We were not having noticable tensions between us at the time, and could not figure out what the cocaine represented. Strange.

I read a study a couple of months ago about students who shared dreams - they found that when the walls between dorms are thin and the bed is on either side like below

bed -> ----| |---- <- bed

then the occupants of the beds often had startlingly similar dreams. I should imagine this also happens with those who share beds or rooms. Unfortunately, I cannot remember my source for this and goooogle isn't being very helpful :(

This is very weird.

I've never had anything quite so precise, but my girlfriend an I have had similar dreams also, on occasion. We do share a bed.

:wtf:

Fascinating!

I know my house mate and I have had similar dreams, but I can't remember any specific ones now.

I did once overhear a man who was widowed telling someone about a dream he and his son had simultaneously that his wife came to visit them, and in a case like that, I'd be happy to say that probably in whatever way, she did!

Some other people I know claim to have had a very foreboding dream - I think about 4 people or so - involving people congregating in some building with an angry looking sky outside, and someone checking coats... Their reaction was that the dream was prophetic of something, but as far as I've heard, they haven't found anything to confirm the dream. What's relevant is that I think a married couple were involved, both having the same dream, but the others were all in different and somewhat distant locations. But they were a circle of friends, so maybe their thoughts tend along a similar wavelength (I mean that word metaphorically)...

Back