• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Snopes...

A

Anonymous

Okay, everyone on the internet knows Snopes... The Urban Legend Reference Page or whatever.
Giving a link to a Snopes article is the definent way to settle an argument. I find it done constantly. I do it myself.
I love Snopes, but I'm just wondering- has it ever been proven wrong? They seem to do a LOT of research for most of the articles... but anyone have any complaints about it, or is it the defenite authoritive voice on everything UL?

I've just had a look on Snopes, and apparently any rumour that it occasionally gets things wrong is just an urban legend. ;)

I think snopes are generally a reliable reference. They are pretty scrupulous about their research, and they are honest enough to say if theey aren't sure.
That said, the main thing with urban legends is that they are just that legends So determining whether there is any objective truth behind the basis for a story is next to impossible in most cases. All you can really do is disprove individual cases.

Hmmmm - I think I remember a case in which a "false" verdict ended up being recinded (details, sadly, forgotten), and I know several cases in which they've been later elaborated upon.

They're scrupulous in changing their "undetermined" verdicts in the face of new evidence, I know that much.

Caveat: I know I shouldn't have to say this to a group of such devout skeptics, but take anything you read in their "Lost Legends" section with a large block of freshly-mined rock salt. They're not so much lost as made up.....

Nonny

Yeah, the "lost legends" confused me at first... until I read the Mr. Ed one and realized they're jokes, or made up, or whatever.

The most wonderful transition from a UL to fact, that I recall, was that of the infamous exploding Oregan whale. For a long time this was regarded as a UL, until someone dug out the news foootage of the event. :cool:

Fortis, is that the one where a beached whale was blown up with dynamite (or whatever) resulting in fresh whale steaks raining down on the gathered onlookers?:laughing:

It's one of those tales that you think can't possibly be true because nobody could be that stupid (what did they expect to happen to the whale? Why did people gather around to watch?)

On the other hand, there are the tales of people who use guns as makeshift hammers thereby nominating themselves for a Darwin Award ... they can't be true, surely?

Jane.

Jane, that's the one. If you haven't seen the footage yet, I recommend it wholeheartedly. An object lesson in how *not* to do something. :)

Piscez said:
Yeah, the "lost legends" confused me at first... until I read the Mr. Ed one and realized they're jokes, or made up, or whatever.

The Repository Of Lost Legends (TROLL) ;)

sureshot

Back