• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Steps Into The Unknown: The Noises Upstairs

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Whether these two things are in any way related is a huge stretch. But there's a genuine spooky mystery in the second part regardless.

Today I was told my mate G, early 40s, certified healthy , and with no discernible trigger, had had a heart attack on Wednesday evening. He's fine.

But G is one of the people who turns up most frequently in my dream "hits". He's also the one whose dad seemed to be sending signs in the form of references to the musical Cabaret, which lead me to discover the deceased shared his name with the lead male character in the movie.

So it got me thinking given this "psychic" connection it seems almost strange I never - as far as I know - had any dreams about his health crisis. Or maybe I just didn't record them before they vanished from memory.

Then it dawned on me, no dreams but something
strange did happen in my house on that very same evening G had his heart attack. I brushed it off at the time but because of making this potential connection I've investigated it further and confirmed there's a mystery.

As you hopefully know I run my home as a guest house. On Wednesday a Chinese guest arrived in the afternoon. I went out. A regular guest, "S", arrived before I got home.

The remaining occupant of the house is a long stay and effectively my housemate at this point, "R".

At 6:41 I whatsapped R to say I was heading home on the bus. Therefore I know I can't have been back in the house any earlier than 6:50-7pm. R replied that he himself was on the bus to the match. So of course he wasn't home.

S was in the kitchen making his tea when I got in. I assumed the Chinese bloke was out. But while chatting to S, several times I paused and glanced at the ceiling in response to the noises of someone noisily moving about upstairs. I concluded the Chinese guest was in after all.

Except....it only dawned on me the next day that I had actually heard him come in around 10:30pm. So....?

I shrugged it off until now. But keen to know if there was something uncanny going on now that I'm linking the timing to G's heart attack I messaged the Chinese ( now former) guest. He confirms he was out the entire time. In fact he categorically can't have been upstairs when I got home as he went to the match and says he arrived at the stadium at 7pm.

So who or what did I hear upstairs?

And does G's brief brush with the Grim Reaper that same evening have any connection to it at all?

For completion's sake , for those who like to play detective, to G's best recollection he thinks his attack occurred around 9 so - if accurate - almost certainly after I heard the activity upstairs. And S has no recollection of the noises , but as I never verbally drew his attention to them and it's not his house, this was to be expected. But that they happened is a certainty as several times I took a breath ready to comment when they distracted me from whatever I was saying. I also mentioned them to R the next day.

I do not find it particularly likely that the noises and your friends situation or your mother is connected here as it does not appear to have been a logical form of sign or communication. Since you do have multiple people living there it seems more likely that it is one of the other people there or someone they invited over/someone lied about when they were home for some unknown reason. I assume you would be able to discern where in the house the noises were coming from would that be right?

While I accept the lack of logical paranormal connection ( I never suggested it was a "sign') your specific prosaic explanation is a non starter. I don't have multiple people living here. Aside from the just arrived and long familiar person in the room with me the only other person who could have been upstairs categorically was not. In a sitcom they might have sneaked a secret lover back. But in the real world , as I detailed above, it was a solitary Chinese student who had come down from Edinburgh that afternoon to stay one night in a single bed after seeing a Liverpool match that evening which they apparently attended and were at at the time of the noises.

There was no physical person upstairs.

I'm not wedded to a supernatural explanation. But a secret guest is not the rationalist one.

What connection was I making yo the friends heart attack? Of course logically there is none. It was a case of elaborating on my thought process that got me checking what I had previously shrugged off. We associate a heart attack with a brush with death and the friend in question frequently "connects" in my dreams so I was looking back to recall if I had a thought of him at all at the time and recalled that it was the same night I had the mistaken conviction of someone moving upstairs. If the timing had been exact I'd have ponder the idea of crisis apparition. ( Edit: or perhaps I'd have imagined it was some kind of clairaudient perception of him collapsing 200 miles away)

Last edited:
If you are absolutely certain that there is no way any of your guests could have sneaked someone else in , is it possible that one of them may have had their luggage stacked precariously and something may have fallen? and is it possible that the noise could have come from the house next door? or airlock in the pipes, or something?
If so , then it seems that the cause must be something paranormal and perhaps was a spirit alerting you to your friend's heart attack. These things do happen

It is strange that some people have a very strong psychic connection with not only loved ones but friends as well.

I've recounted before about having a very strong urge to visit a very close friend one Saturday morning, a time when I would not have normally visited him( I had seen him a couple of days before). Something intervened and I couldn't get there. He died alone on the Friday night or early Saturday morning from a heart attack and his daughters had to get the Police to break in. Said friend couldn't stand the Police and would have much preferred me to discover him. Same with my father who I rang on a Friday (unheard of) - he died that night of a heart attack. I do now pay more attention to these urges even if they prove fruitless.

It is strange that some people have a very strong psychic connection with not only loved ones but friends as well.

I've recounted before about having a very strong urge to visit a very close friend one Saturday morning, a time when I would not have normally visited him( I had seen him a couple of days before). Something intervened and I couldn't get there. He died alone on the Friday night or early Saturday morning from a heart attack and his daughters had to get the Police to break in. Said friend couldn't stand the Police and would have much preferred me to discover him. Same with my father who I rang on a Friday (unheard of) - he died that night of a heart attack. I do now pay more attention to these urges even if they prove fruitless.
It was like that with my Mother. I used to visit on the weekend but on this Friday I picked up the middle daughter after TAFE and we went to see her.
She actually looked better than she had for awhile and she died that night.

Back