• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Dreams - Bird-Masked Woman in Forest

beyond_abysmal

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Sometime a couple weeks ago, I went to bed and had this intense dream.

At first, it was just a bunch of jibberish to do with my friends - I had just come home from their house - but I was in a pretty shallow sleep, and was suddenly awoken by knocking sounds coming from the wall by my bed. It woke me up pretty fast, and I waited to hear the knocking again. I thought someone was at my front door (it's right by my bedroom. I didn't hear anything, and gradually began to drift back into sleep. this time I was in a forest. It was the kind of forest we have here where I live, in British Columbia, Canada. Huge trees covered in moss, and a greenish twilight sort of lighting from the trees being so close together. I remember looking p at the trees, and seeing this weird formation of a woman, growing out of the tree. I heard the knocking sound again, but this time it sounded more like drums. I began to come out of sleep, and upon hearing a tapping a my window, I woke up completely. I waited to hear the noise again, but I didn't. Usually, when I'm in the peripherals of sleep, I begin to hear noises, or people talking, or I'll have weird visions. It's just something I get when I'm drifting off and beginning to dream. I assumed that was what it was, or maybe just my roommate hitting the TV. I began drifting off again, and dreaming about my friends again, but my dream was interupted. I was in the forest again, and there was a woman. She was very, very old, and her body was hung with moss. Her fingers looked like tree branches, they were all long and twisted. The only other thing she was wearing was a mask. It was carved out of very old looking wood, with bark and feathers on it. It had a long, thin, curved beak. She began to turn her head very slowly, and I was paralized with fear. I couldn't move. As she turned to look at me, I saw that where the eyeholes of the mask were, there were no eyes. Just blackness, and as I looked into them I felt like I was being absorbed into her. I couldn't look away. I was so frightened. And all the time I could hear these drums beating. I woke up very suddenly, to a loud knocking on my window pane. My heart was beating very rapidly, and I was very, very freaked out. I lay still for several minutes, trying to calm down, and listening for the knocking sounds. They didn't come. I began to relax.
Eventually I began to fall asleep again. I dreamt about a bunch of random bullshit I don't really remember - something about Alana having heart problems - but eventually I began to dream about this woman again. This time she was quite young, but she was the same woman, still wearing her mask. I was in a clearing, and there was a deer. It was wounded, and she was creeping up behind it. She grabbed hold and dragged it down and the deer began to sort of dissolve. SHe looked up then, and I had the same paralizing pulling feeling from where her eyes should have been. I woke up again, hearing the same knocking sound, my heart beating very fast. I couldn't sleep for a long time after that. I kept seeing to image of the woman, turning to look at me, and remembering the horrible feeling I had when I looked into her eyes. I eventually did sleep, but not very well, and I was disturbed once or twice more by those knocking sounds.
Although this experience was intense and disturbing, for the meantime I passed it off as being some weird stress-related nightmare or something. The thing is, I can't get this image out of my head. I've asked a few people about it. Garritt said he thought it was some old Native American Folklore thing (I can't remember the name), my sister thought it was a creative/destructive dream or some sort of reaper. The closest I came to was "Skinwalkers", a native american creature which can transform into just about any animal form. They often only wear masks, it is said they will often knock on the walls or windows of a house, or climb on the roofs, trying to get in. Aparently if you lock eyes with one, it can absorb itself into you or something. Look them up on wikipedia for more info.
If anyone else has any ideas on what this could have been, please respond. I can't get it out of my head, and I haven't slept well since.

Your dream certainly was much more"involved" than most. I've read a little about the Skinwalker and it does seem to have some details that ring very true with your experience (although to be fair "knocking" seems to play a part in many fortean things).

Hope you manage to be able to cope with the experience by finding out a little more about it. I found this http://www.rense.com/general32/strange.htm interesting but never followed up on some of the details to see how much truth there is in some of the encounters.

Did you think to look out of the window?
That's the first thing I'd have done if I'd heard knocking on the window.

beyond_abysmal said:
If anyone else has any ideas on what this could have been, please respond. I can't get it out of my head, and I haven't slept well since.
Had you been feeling stressed recently before your dream?

Back