• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

strange experience - what does it mean?

A

Anonymous

hi all.

I have just had a strange ish experience, and wondered if anyone could help with an explanation.

I was in my garden, and it had begun getting dark. I watched my cats play and chase eachother about the grass - nothing unusual so far. All of a sudden, a small bird or bat flew over to me and started circling me, just above my head. (it was no further than about 30 cm above me.) I ducked , and it flew off. This then happened twice more, before I started getting a bit spooked and went in. I was surprised partly because small birds tend to fly away from people rather than too them. Also, it was so close, and it was actually circling my head, and was very fast indeed.

Any suggestions?

All of a sudden, a small bird or bat flew over to me and started circling me, just above my head.
A small bat catching flies, or mosquitoes attracted to the warm air from your body?

Out in a tent this holiday and making macaroni in the gathering gloom, I amused myself, by watching a bat chasing midges above me.

Midges is a good guess to me. I attract the buggers like nobody's business - resemble Pigpen on a hot day. Haven't had that happen to me though.

If it wasn't a bat, Pied Wagtails have a bit of an odd sense of humour when it comes to playing chicken with cars and dive bombing people. They're very quick too.
Swallows also move fast and are likely to snatch insects out of the air around you.

If it was a small blue bird then you are almost certainly a disney character.

I've had a similar thing with a bat. My Mum and Dads house has bats in the attic (I know) and they will fly a set route every night. If you stand in the way than they will fly round you a couple of times befroe carrying on on their set route1

thanks for all your suggestions, I feel much happier now I know there's a plausible explanation! My mind was working overtime on possibilities such as bad omens; impending doom; etc etc :)

I've got bats in the tree outside my house and they frequently divebomb me...they cause no end of amusement during games of badmington...

Have a word with beakboo on these boards - she's the expert on this sort of thing!!

I was cycling down the road, the other day, with my kid on the back seat. It was a sunny day, about two O'clock. Suddenly, I saw a little black, thing, moving, in the middle of the road. It had a spidery shape and was quite big. It was so strange I got quite a shock.

Stopping the bike, I looked closer and saw that it was actually a cray, or crawfish. It was 6 to 7cm long and wandering along the road, rapidly drying out and waving its little claws. It must have escaped from the drainage ditch nearby. I bent down to pick it up and throw it back.

"No! Don't touch it!" Yelled my kid. "It could be dangerous!" He thought it was a black scorpion. Well, they look similiar.

That set me to thinking. Supposing a lot of the strange things we experience are simply examples of how us, 21st century urbanites, have lost contact with nature.

Strange sights in the gloom and strange noises in the dark can freeze our blood, until we find out what's making them. I was sleeping out in a wood one night and heard a strange, snuffling, rustling noise, very nearby. It turned out to be a hedgehog.

I've had similiar strange experiences with badgers, polecats, sheep, deer and even a mongoose. Unnerving in their way, until explained. One of the most terrifying noises I've ever heard was the cry of a peacock. It just like a child being strangled.

weird flying thing

could it have been a "Rod" they are very fast and the only way you can see them is look indirectly into the sun while shaking your head /blinking your eyes back and forth. http://www.roswellrods.com

Re: weird flying thing

ruffready said:
could it have been a "Rod" they are very fast and the only way you can see them is look indirectly into the sun while shaking your head /blinking your eyes back and forth. http://www.roswellrods.com

I thought those were the *"microscopic circles in the fluid of my sight" seen side on?

(*Donovan Leitch reference. Donovan: now there's a Fortean music-maker!)

re:zygon side on vison of ,

those would be"floaters", also there are the "shadow people"those beings you see out of the corner of your eye.always zipping away when you try to see them striaght on! I like ,"Hurdy gurdy man" by Donovan.

ruffready, it was definitely a bird or a bat, as I saw its wings.

Androman, I agree, many of us have lost touch with nature. I actually love being among animals, trees etc, but modern society means we spend much of our time in offices or in front of computers etc (like everyone who is reading this is doing right now!)

Back