• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Streak Imaged in Australia

Jerry_B

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Meteor experts don't think it's a meteor. Atmospheric scientists don't think it's lightning. The photographer insists that the streak and flash on the above image has not been created digitally. So what is it? Nobody is sure.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap041207.html

It looks like a crease made on the photograph to me.

I recall seeing something similar in a photograph of a shuttle launch which was printed in FT...

And I thought Keyser Soze had been through ;)

There has been a lot of odd effects from a recent metero over Australia:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 168#471168

Do we know if that is a recent picture?

It does look like arather tiny BOL - could it be something very small very close? It is somewhere between him and the medium ground but........

I think either a negative or a light effect of some kind - if it was that far off, shouldn't there be a curve created by the lens?

What about the flash though, there seems to be some smoke too.

Pete Younger said:

there doesn't appear to be any sign of impact on the water which you would think would be whats making the smoke just to the right of it though

jima said:
Pete Younger said:

there doesn't appear to be any sign of impact on the water which you would think would be whats making the smoke just to the right of it though
Some years ago I saw what I believe was ball lightning, an orb the size of a football streaked across the sky and disappeared with a flash of light behind the house opposite ours, I think that's what it could have been.

not enough info on this one, for a start the camera settings will play the major factor in investigating this picture, and how far apart the photos were taken there could be a days delay between them for all we know.

The fact that the waters surfaces has little or no disturbance brings the authenticity of the image into question (beit deliberat or accidental) Otherwise the answer would need to fall in the catagory of a non solid "object" along the lines of petes ball lightning which would seem to account for the flash (ever chucked a bucket of water over a tv - dont try that at home), also the "trail could be steam as it burns off the natural water in the air. Also ball lightning is rarely seen in or out of labs so saying wheather it is or isnt ball lightning will be almost impossible and few could recognise it.

I've seen this before and the photographer claims that a meteorite hit a lampost hence the small explosion. The original piccie does NOT have the streak in the sky on it though, so that has been either enhanced or added.

Still looks like a sunset catching a boat and reflecting. The line looks consistent with a creasedphoto, which has then been scanned.

i aggre with the idea behind a creased photo but now where calling it a fake ;)

PintQuaff said:
i aggre with the idea behind a creased photo but now where calling it a fake ;)

It's a picture form a digital camera - there is no photo to crease.

Back