• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stuck in the attic.

A

Anonymous

I heard a news story on the radio on 2mmm in Sydney this morning concerning two men who were stuck in an attic somewhere in England for around 24 hrs. Apparently they could not get out as they were pushing on the door rather than pulling on it.
Details of who they were or exactly where they were were not given.
Sounded like a UL to me, or can someone shed some more light on the story if it is true.

I guess our national media are too busy with floods in Europe, missing schoolgirls, and footballers committing GBH to have time for two dimwits in an attic!

Perhaps it made the local news somewhere, if it was picked up in Oz.

It was in The Times yesterday. Apparently it was 3 schoolboys who were planning to have a party while the adults were away for the weekend. I'll see if I can find a link.

[edit]

Four trapped boys take 27 hours to open door
By Hannah Hennessy

FOUR teenage boys spent 27 hours trapped in a loft, escaping only after realising that all they needed to do was pull the trapdoor rather than push it.
The boys had gone up to the attic to fetch food and alcohol for a party they were planning while the mother of one of them was on holiday.

Their guests arrived at the door, but left when there was no answer, having failed to hear the trapped teenagers’ cries for help. Fortunately they had their supplies of crisps, sausage rolls and beer to keep them going as they waited.

Their ordeal ended when one of the 17-year-old boys discovered that they had been trying to open the hatch the wrong way.

Ali Wood, of Gillingham, Kent, had taken advantage of the fact that his mother and her boyfriend were on holiday to throw a party. “We went up to get the food and drink from our loft after we had stashed it there because we didn’t want our parents to find out,” he said. It was then that he shut the hatch, imprisoning him with his student friends, Stephen Lloyd, Josh Nice and Dan Griffin.

The insulation in the loft meant that a mobile phone belonging to one of them could not get a signal, so they were unable to ring for help. Ali’s mother was not due home until four days after the planned party.

“We were laughing at the start, but then we realised the hatch wouldn’t open,” Stephen said. “The worst part was we could hear our friends outside, but we couldn’t do anything about it. All we had was snacks and drinks to last us all that time.”

Ali said: “Eventually our fears turned to panic. We literally had to calm ourselves down. We talked a lot and managed to sleep for a while. When Stephen opened the hatch, we were in hysterics. We couldn’t believe we had been stuck there so long when we could have been out in five minutes.

“I think our parents thought we had learnt our lesson. We were all just glad to be out.”

His mother, Christine, said: “I didn’t want them to have a party. But I thought it was funny when I realised what had happened.”

But if they'd previously stashed stuff in the attic, then climbed up into it again, surely they must have realised which way the door opened otherwise they wouldn't have got in in the first place.

The British Citizens of the future! At least the Daily Star has a guaranteed readership to come, I suppose....

I think that those 3 have a bright future in the expanding industry of nocturnal petroleum sales :rolleyes:

Adrian Veidt said:
I think that those 3 have a bright future in the expanding industry of nocturnal petroleum sales :rolleyes:

Oy, AV, don't knock it. Hardest game in the world, nocturnal petroleum sales; thirty years, man and boy...

Lard, you're not Peter Kay IRL, are you?

Oops!

Guidelines!

I'll just warn myself about real-life identity speculation :)

I am not Peter Kay, but by a strange coincidence I used to work with him... wait for this... in a petrol station in Bolton. He stole all my best gags... him and Sarah Cox.

Yeah, I remember "The Services", his thing about, erm, a petrol station in Bolton.

Any man responsible for "Phoenix Nights" can't be all bad, though:).

Ah, The Services was set in a service station on the M61 just North of Bolton, it used to be called Anderton services, but is now called something kak like 'Bolton North'. Whereas Peter and I worked in a proper petrol station near Bolton town centre. Who knows, maybe he took some inspiration from his days at 'Majestic' (now demolished).

Stu Neville said:
I'll just warn myself about real-life identity speculation :)

Ah, but that's moderating a thread in which you yourself have participated! Perhaps you should ask Niles to warn you.

Nonny

Boys! Boys! Where are you? Your A Levels have arrived and
you have passed! Where can they have got to? :p

hey there must surely be A-level results related urban myths out there? seems the ideal topic.

Adrian Veidt said:
. Apparently it was 3 schoolboys imprisoning him with his student friends, Stephen Lloyd, Josh Nice and Dan Griffin.
Josh Nice? Isn't he related to the But-Dims? Their mothers must be so proud. :hmph:

there was one on TV, on those "dumbest people in existence" programmes, where a bank robber went into a bank but they put the security screens went down and as he fled he couldn't push open the door. Another customer came in to the office and a very red-faced robber realised he should have been pulling the door open. He was caught later:)

I suspect someone's parents shared a surname even before they were married...

...the kind of wedding where everyone was sat on one side of the church :p !

Ah well, give 'em a few years and who knows what dizzy heights they may assume.

Back