• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Subscriber Gifts (or, the Neverending Mug Parade)

Urvogel

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I’ve been a subscriber to FT for many years now (14 I think), and as much as I enjoy the mag there’s one thing I don’t enjoy about subscribing...the never ending tide of mugs! Whenever I renew my subscription I get sent yet another mug. Which wouldn’t be so bad if there was actually some variety. I think about 70% are the upside down monster design, several of the blue kraken design and a single copy of one with amusing headlines on. Needless to say I haven’t needed to buy a mug in years, though I’m running out of space in my cupboards and my friends are slightly concerned at why they all get served tea in mugs with an upside down monster on them.

Can’t we have some variety in the gifts given to renewed subscriptions? The only thing I’ve ever received that wasn’t a mug was a leftover tshirt from an old Unconvention that was XXL in size (I’m an S). New subscribers get books, DVDs and other lovely things, all the loyal subscribers get is yet another mug. I understand the need to attract new subscribers, but it really seems regular subscribers are forgot about. The gifts just appear to be an afterthought.
Maybe change how the renewed gifts work? Say one year you get a mug, the next a bookmark, the next a tshirt etc. Or even give special gifts, such as when you subscribe for the 5th year in a row you get a book? I’m just fed up of receiving the exact same mug year after year as an apparent ‘thank you’ gift...

Its a mugs game!

I has fun serving my friends tea and coffee in John Wesley mugs when they were sold off cheap in bargain shops after the tercentenary of his birth.

Still FT should do better, stuffed Cthuhlus'?

I never get free gifts :?:

My sub just seems to renew itself!

Shame, as I can always use more mugs (I am extremely cack handed!)

Fluttermoth said:

They will now send a box of mugs to you.

I still use my 21 Years of FT mug, just had a coffee out of it there, but because I subscribe by direct debit I haven't had a free gift in years. It's as if they thought, well he's hooked, we don't need to send him anything but the mag. I covet some of the mugs they've had down the years, but have to stick with the 21st anniversary one.

ramonmercado said:
Fluttermoth said:

They will now send a box of mugs to you.
:lol:

gncxx said:
I subscribe by direct debit I haven't had a free gift in years. .
Ah, I do too, that'll be why then :lol:

Is it only the UK subscribers that get gifts? This Australian Fortean only gets his subscribed mag once a month in the post. Wouldn't mind a FT mug, they'd go nicely with all my Doctor Who mugs! ;)

Yeah I subscribe by direct debit and I never get anything either! #

Not fair surely? :?

I only got 1 - the first time I renewed my subscription - I have it on direct debit as well

I've been a subscriber for ten years now and I've never had a free gift either. Unless you count the odd letter saying the cost of subscription is going up.

I say we should march on Fortean Towers and threaten to torch it unless we get our mugs.

ramonmercado said:
I say we should march on Fortean Towers and threaten to torch it unless we get our mugs.

Such action would be a mugs game!

hang on, isn't this the limmerick page? :oops: ;)

Obviously the reason why nobody is getting any mugs is because they're all being sent to me instead :lol:

Urvogel said:
Obviously the reason why nobody is getting any mugs is because they're all being sent to me instead :lol:

Do they supply flying saucers with the mugs?

Urvogel said:

I say we march on your residence and wait for you to hand out the mugs! (Possibly catching any that are thrown out with shouts of "Get off of my lawn!")

I don't really care about the mugs, it just seems a bit off to me.

Surely, DD subscribers save effort for all parties? DO we get a cheaper price than non-DD subscribers or something?

Anonymous have threatened DOS attacks on Denis unless we get our mugs. Assange has threatened revelations of what Felix Denis has under his patio.

ramonmercado said:
Anonymous have threatened DOS attacks on Denis unless we get our mugs. Assange has threatened revelations of what Felix Denis has under his patio.

We all know what Felix Denis has under his patio... ;)

I'm also a Direct Debit subscriber who has looked longingly at the mugs offered to new subscribers, and wondered how I might get one myself. Perhaps if I threaten to cancel my subscription if I don't get a mug. That sort of underhand behaviour isn't really my style, though.

Urvogel - You might be happier with Fortean Times' gifts if they were like this one my girlfriend bought me last Christmas.

e319c08c-d0b6-4d52-bdf0-2720626ea348_zps1c2c77e1.jpg

EDIT - Experts will notice I placed the archaeopteryx on a computer monitor from the same period in pre-history for effect. ;)

PaulTaylor said:
Urvogel - You might be happier with Fortean Times' gifts if they were like this one my girlfriend bought me last Christmas.

Oh, I certainly would like that! :D

FT, take note, your subscribers like plushies of long dead animals!

Yeah, sorry about the poor pic. I've been practicing taking dark, grainy, blurry and generally indistinct photographs so I can get a picture of our black cat in the garden and sell it to the tabloids.

I'll get a better pic of it when I get the time along with the little chick that comes with it which I didn't put in the first pic because, well, it's god damn ugly!

DrWhiteface said:
ramonmercado said:

The fragments of a thousand surplus Fortean Times branded mugs?

theyithian said:
DrWhiteface said:
ramonmercado said:

The fragments of a thousand surplus Fortean Times branded mugs?

There are no surplus Fortean Time branded mugs - they've been sent out to people! (Although I am not one of those people who were lucky enough to get one mug, let alone two or three!)

Mug related puns aren't really my cup of tea...

That was uncalled for... :oops:

Back