• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Suggest Improvements To The Fortean Times

On reflection, I would like to see major articles (not just Fortean Follow ups) discussing any (if any) concrete findings that have occurred in relation to Fortean Issues. It is all well being open minded, but one should use an informed base for reasoning - though this shouldn't stop an interest in a topic. I particularly welcome the current UFO section as it cuts through much of the arcana that surrounds the subject. Surely to be Fortean is to be presented with the evidence/reports and not the slant. It would be interesting to hear from reviewers/writers who don't follow the egregious stance of social constructivism (in its many forms), purely because it is indicative of narrow and confused thinking.

Dr_David_Sutton said:
Don't worry about Hiero - he's not going anywhere, although what with all the daily chores at the Fortess of Arrogance, I don't know if he'll be contributing more to FT than his usual column.

AlistairP3 said:
More Hierophant!

Some Hierophant!

My longest thread...ever! lol.

But yes, more Hierophant. I'd like to see some more articles on "Forbidden Archaeology" as well.

I'd like to see fortean times focus more on paranormal afterlife, as that seems to be the most popular area, as can be shown through the amounts of ghost programmes on tv and so on.

I'd like to see more articles like we have in the latest issue, which I will be buying for the first time in over a year. The two articles on the Myths of the Raven and the Vision Quest look more like articles from the FT I knew, loved and never missed an issue of once upon a time...

As stated before, there is nothing that stops me reading a 'letter' more than:

'Regarding Mr B Rains article on Imaginary Publications FTxxx, especially in the second clause of paragraph three there are quite clearly numerous reasons why his proposed device would not work, those being that the point of A is the opposite to point B, whereas C is equal...'

What? You expect me to search by back copies of FT, re-read the article to actually be able to decipher the letter. Its especially enfuriating when the letter refers to articles two issues ago by which time I have passed my FT to my old school library.

Well, as a long time reader of FT (about ten years now) I would love to see a few more letters (only coz I've had a few printed myself :lol: ), more investigations, and perhaps some sort of article that helps inspire people to get off their chair and investigate further, maybe by offering tips on how to get out and research.

Who knows, maybe I'll write that article myself.

More (single) page forum articles, we seem to average about two per issue - lets get that closer to five, add an expanded list for further reading, appropriate books, web pages, music, films etc.

I agree, more forum articles should be included. And I would like to se more accounts of investigations being published. So, if you're reading this and about to do an investigation, let FT know.

Not directly but I know many people who have and have had the same problem. There are quite a few "I tried to send such and such and never heard back" type posts on here as well!

yes but heirophant is back, living in worthing of all places

The heirophant is back but for how long, how will the Tibetan One fare with the new points based immigration system.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4781030.stm

After all 'bitching and knowing big words' aren't going to fill any skills gaps, I guess he'll grade only a '1' under the new system and soon find himself on a plane back to his Himalayan home :twisted:

Harder crosswords! ---waiting for a wag to mention flick knives etc... :roll:

H_James said:
The heirophant - not good, any more.

I've not read an issue since he returned.

Is it the same writer(s)?

No (as far as I can tell). A much more bumptious style - it looks like the Heirophant's apprentice has ascended to the throne, in fact.

I realize this will get me tarred and feathered, but I've never cared much for the Hierophant.

Me neither, but at least the old one used to talk about Fortean stuff. And he generally only took up half a page.

The new one seems to have been given a whole page and writes pretentiously stodgy prose in a style that reminds me unpleasantly of Colin Bennett.

graylien said:
Me neither, but at least the old one used to talk about Fortean stuff. And he generally only took up half a page.

The new one seems to have been given a whole page and writes pretentiously stodgy prose in a style that reminds me unpleasantly of Colin Bennett.

Its probably a good thing his opinion of the mag is so low:

www.combat-diaries.co.uk

;)

He also seems awfully distratced by Serpo at the moment. Our loss.

I know who De Chirico is, I meant the other one, with the eye-catching web design, flyaway prose and axe to grind. :p

By Me

The heirophant is back but for how long, how will the Tibetan One fare with the new points based immigration system.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4781030.stm

After all 'bitching and knowing big words' aren't going to fill any skills gaps, I guess he'll grade only a '1' under the new system and soon find himself on a plane back to his Himalayan home

I take it all back, I may be a lone Fortean voice in the wilderness but rather enjoyed the last page (FT209) from the Ascended One.

Back