• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Suitcase Murder, Joe Meek & Velvet Mafia

MrRING

Android Futureman
I read somewhere on line that one theory about why Joe Meek shot his landlady and himself was that he knew something about who commited a case called the "Suitcase Murder", where a young man was cut into pieces and the body parts were left in suitcases around England. The Joe Meek link seems to be just that he was gay, and the victim was apparently or theoretically gay, so Meek would have known him and the crowd they both hung out with (Is this the "Velvet Mafia" I've read about in realtion to the 60's British record industry?).

Was this case ever solved, and is there an overview of it anywhere online?

Is that the same murder case where somebody was tried for the murder, cleared, then confessed to the killing in a newpaper interview knowing he couldn't be retried because of the double jeopardy rule?

Unfortunately, I don't think that's the case. Here's what it says about it on Telestarweb:

"The Suitcase Murder

In January of 196? Police discovered two discarded suitcases in the Suffolk village of Tattington. When the suitcases were opened they were found to contain the mutilated remains of a young man, later the victims identity was discovered to be that of a young homosexual named Bernard Oliver. Joe knew Oliver, who had been hustling for awhile , and he realized that the police would probably be able to connect the two at some point. The idea of being questioned by the authorities, of his connection to a murder becoming public knowledge terrified Joe.

The Young man had been abducted and held, the police believed, for over a week, perhaps in a cottage in the village that had reportedly hosted all male orgies during the time Oliver had been missing. Though it's highly unlikely that Joe was directly involved in the case he may well have known more about it then he let on. It is not known whether anyone from the authorities ever contacted Joe but the fear of a knock on the door only added to the pressure he was under. In the end no one was ever officially charged with Bernard Oliver's death. "

And here's a link to the web site's joe meek FAQ where this came from:

http://www.concentric.net/~meekweb/faqtoc.htm

There is a brilliant evokation of Joe Meeks last moments in Alan Moore's Beat Seance CD "Highbury Working". A quite tragic/sympathetic view into the mindset of an artist and the events leading to a murder/suicide. A must if you are into psychogeography.

Telstar by the Tornadoes!

All I know is that Joe Meek was probably one of the finest and most innovative record and music producers, Britain ever had!

What If: Meek had produced, `Sergeant Pepper's,' or `Their Satanic Majesties?':spinning

A short piece about the fortean side of Joe Meek from my website:

The Ghost of Troubled Joe
My first icon is the legendary independent producer Joe Meek - genius of music technology and creator of such awesome sixties sounds as the spooky "Johnny Remember Me" by John Leyton, The Honeycombs' stomping "Have I The Right" and perhaps most famously, the cosmic "Telstar" by The Tornadoes. Influencing everyone from Broadcast to Saint Etienne, Aphex Twin to Edwyn Collins, Joe conjured-up most of his sonic wizardry from a small flat above a leather-goods shop in London's Holloway Road. He employed numerous unconventional means to get the sounds he desired, from flushing toilets (played backwards), stamping feet on stairs and banging broomsticks on bathtubs, the results of which are probably best heard on the truly innovative, "I Hear A New World" - regarded by many to be the world's first concept album. But Joe was a troubled soul. His interest in all things spiritual, coupled with an avid consumption of amphetamines resulted in a paranoia that was eventually to lead to his downfall, while his frequenting of a certain Holloway Road public convenience (incidentally, also favoured haunt of playwright Joe Orton), gave a whole new meaning to the term "cottage industry" and resulted in his being arrested and charged with "Importuning for immoral purposes." Joe was fascinated by the occult and following one session too many on the ouija board, Joe claimed that he'd been told the date of Buddy Holly's death - February 3rd 1959 - a prediction that turned out to be accurate. The date was to take on an almost mythical importance in Joe's life. In 1967 he became paranoiacally worried that he might be implicated in the "Suitcase Murder", when police found the body of a young male prostitute, who Joe knew, chopped up in two discarded suitcases in a field in Norfolk. It is very unlikely that Joe had anything to do with the boy's murder, but this together with his increasing suspicion that his flat was being bugged by other record producers wanting to steal the secrets behind his sound (nothing, of course, to do with the enormous number of "Black Bombers" he was consuming), led to Joe shooting his landlady before turning the gun on himself. The date? February 3rd. Take a look up at the stars and hear Joe's brave new world.

Alan Moore's invocation of Meek on the Highbury Working is brilliant - but I would say that I'm a big fan of Moore (I also won the CDs in the FT comp a few months back :))

btw Carnacki if you're interested in psychogeography you should check my Manchester Area Psychogeographic site - http://map.twentythree.us/

Considering he was a music promoter, I would think that the fact that he'd rejected The Beatles, Rod Stewart and David Bowie would be quite enough to make you eat your gun in hindsight.

No.1 With A Bullet

It was the third of February 1967, and Joe Meek was set up for a final mix. Up all night on his diet pills, his Preludin, splicing and editing, Joe felt that it still needed something, some extraordinary sound. The morning light was blinding, coming through the Holloway Road window, sloped across the mess of cables on the studio floor, and Joe was thinking about Heinz again. Around the walls were pale rectangles, afterimages, where Joe had taken down the paintings that he'd done, and tried to burn them on his two-bar heater. They were evidence, incriminating imagery. The crying woman, and, Joe's favourite, the little black boys, dancing naked in the dreamy voodoo firelight. Heinz had been standing with his back against the window. Kneeling in the wires, Joe kissed the singer's cock. The sun through Heinz's white hair was like a halo. Downstairs, his studio assistant, Patrick Pink, was calling him for breakfast. Joe stamped down and drank the coffee, didn't touch the toast. Knocked back the bitter dregs then went into the kitchen to cremate his personal papers in a dustbin. All he'd say was "they're not getting these." Eyes filling, he started doggedly into the smoke. Given a choice of reincarnations, the most perfect thing Joe could imagine was to be the final organ riff of 'Telstar,' rising up into celestial blue, and never coming down. Joe went upstairs again, and thought about life after death, all of the séances, the magic. Buddy Holly's end predicted, and the iron key placed in a bible, twisted by no earthly hand. The cat in Highgate cemetery that spoke in human tongue. He'd heard a new world. Sighing, he retrieved the shotgun from beneath the bed. If he could only find that sound, that ultimate Joe Meek effect, he could wrap up his mortal session, finally get it down, with all the clarity of, of shattering glass. His landlady arrived at just the wrong time. Mrs Shenton stumbled down the stairs, with threads of woollen smoke still trailing from the distribution pattern in her back. The blast rang in the air. Joe tried imagining it with echo, maybe more compression. Leaned his forehead on the still warm muzzle, tipped the trigger. There was the most perfect sound.

That is a great bit - is that from a web site, or from a book?

Does that mean that the Woman With The Crying Eyes no longer exists?

Its from the "Highbury Working" CD by Alan Moore, the one that me and Carnaki mentioned earlier in this thread. As for "Woman With The Crying Eyes" I'm not sure. Was it a painting by Meek?

Here is a link to a bad reproduction of the Girl With The Crying Eyes:

http://www.concentric.net/~meekweb/cryeye.gif

Here is what Telstar web says about it:

"Joe was (skilled) with a brush as well. He painted and sketched with his most (in)famous work being `The Lady With The Crying Eyes", a haunting work that Joe believed could speak to him. "

I got to get that Alan Moore CD!

As you’re not in the UK you won’t have noticed the synchronicity that occurred on Monday (4th November). I was watching a comedy music quiz called “Never Mind the Buzzcocks” – one of the rounds involves 2 members of each team singing the intro to a famous song to the third member. One of the songs was Telstar… the host then went on to make various jokes about Meek and his landlady - something like, “On the 3rd of February 1967 Joe Meek shot his landlady and then turned the gun on himself. Why? Well how was he ever going to get his deposit back with that stain on the carpet?”

Anyone see the repeat of the classic Arena documentary on Joe Meek last night? The haunted cat (sounding weirdly like a cat going "miaow"), the seance predicting the success of "Telstar", and most chilling of all, Jonathan King saying when he went for an interview with Meek, he was worried that he would be "groped". Maybe this post would be better in the Irony thread.

Joe Meek's master tapes are up for sale.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/sep/04/joe.meek.master.tapes

What's on Joe Meek's master tapes?

Two thousand of Joe Meek's master tapes are going on sale today. According to those who have heard them, they include recordings of David Bowie's first band

Chris Cottingham. guardian.co.uk, September 04 2008 11:27

An important chapter of British pop-music history goes on sale today. Two thousand master tapes recorded by celebrated 60s producer Joe Meek are being auctioned at the Idea Generation Gallery in London. They are expected to fetch £300,000.

In the early 60s, Meek had a string of UK No 1s, including Telstar, which was the first song by a British artist to top the US charts. Frequently compared to influential American studio whizz Phil Spector, Meek pioneered numerous recording techniques in his flat-cum-studio at 304 Holloway Road in North London.

Meek committed suicide in 1967 and the tapes passed on to Cliff Cooper, who worked with the producer when playing bass with the Millionaires. Totaling over 4,000 hours of music, they contain previously unheard songs by Billy Fury, Tom Jones and David Bowie's first band, the Konrads, as well as forgotten 60s stars as the Honeycombs, John Leyton and Heinz, all of whom had UK No 1s with Meek.

According to Alan Blackburn, former president of the Joe Meek Appreciation Society who catalogued the tapes in the mid-80s, they contain great insight into how Meek worked. "There are eight years of a man's life on those tapes," he says. "They're invaluable, really."

Q&A: ALAN BLACKBURN

Guardian/Music: What's on the tapes?

Blackburn: "Lots of unreleased stuff by the top names that Joe had at the time. There's a session from the Konrads, which was David Bowie's first band, playing an old Charlie & Ines Fox number called Mocking Bird. I think that's Bowie's first studio recording. There are lots of examples of the classic Joe Meek sound — angelic choirs and violins — that have never been released. For example, there's a song called Stairway to the Stars by Michael Cox. There are extended versions of Telstar, too. At a guess there's 10 albums worth of material good enough to be released."

Does Joe Meek's personality come through?

"He had a quite temper and you can hear him giving some of the bands a telling off. There's a point where one of his bands, the Wild Boys, are having an argument. He shouts, 'The only musician out of the bloody lot of you is [future Deep Purple guitarist] Ritchie Blackmore'. Also, he couldn't write or play music, so when he was composing he would just la-la along to a backing track. You can hear him composing Telstar that way. He's out of tune most of the time."

How long did it take you to transcribe the tapes?

"About 18 months. I started in 1983. I was a milkman. I'd finish work at 10am, then work on the tapes until 7pm. It took until early 1985."

Was it difficult making sense of them?

"A lot of the tapes don't have any writing on them, or it's some secret code of Joe's. For example, there's a song called Coma Prima, but Joe has just written 'neda'. And because he was short of tape in the early days he would record over old tapes or reverse them. Listening back, you get one song, then all of a sudden it goes into another song, or, worse, another song going backwards."

How do you feel about the tapes being sold?

"A little bit sad. Joe was the innovator of the studio in the front room. He recorded all those hit records in that flat in Holloway Road. It's amazing when you think about it."

Q&A: CLIFF COOPER

Guardian/Music: How did you come to own the tapes?

Cooper: "When Joe died, I wanted to buy his recording studio. I approached the solicitor handling his estate. He said the recording equipment had been sold, but that he still had all of Joe Meek's tapes. He said that he should really have them destroyed, but, and these are his exact words, 'It's his entire life's work and I can't bring myself to do it'. He said he could sell me the physical tape, not the copyright of any music they contained, for £300, but that I couldn't sell them on or split them up. They came in 67 tea chests, all full of quarter-inch tapes."

What did you do with them?

"I stored them in the basement of my flat in west London. My biggest concern was that the tapes may deteriorate, so I checked them regularly. They look a bit rough, but they haven't lost any sound quality at all."

Why are you selling them?

Joe's solicitor asked me to look after the tapes, which I've done. But I'm in my 60s and I need to pass them on to someone else. Whoever buys them will have to sign to say they won't break up the collection. I hope they stay in England. I hope they get released in some form, not locked in a cupboard and forgotten about. That would be very sad.

I hadn't heard this audio of Patrick Pink talking about his last day with Joe:

The Girl with the Crying Eyes, about as clear s I've ever seen it:
girlwithcryingeyes.jpg

The Tea Chest Tapes were acquired by Cherry Records in 2020:
Cherry Red Records have acquired legendary producer Joe Meek’s ‘Tea Chest Tapes’ – a near mythical collection of almost 2,000 reels that contain a vast amount of the producer’s work. In the early 60s, Meek had a string of UK No 1s, including Telstar, which was the first song by a British artist to top the US charts. Meek pioneered numerous recording techniques in his studio flat (304 Holloway Road in North London). Following Meek’s death in 1967 the tapes passed on to Cliff Cooper, who worked with the producer when playing bass with the Millionaires and went on to found Orange Amplification. The fabled quarter-inch tapes got their name because they were contained and sold in 67 tea chests. Amongst the recordings are previously unheard songs by David Bowie’s first band The Konrads, recordings by Billy Fury, several songs by Tom Jones, and unheard material from The Honeycombs, Heinz and John Leyton (who had a UK No 1 with Meek). Also included are mastered recordings of Mike Berry, Glenda Collins, Michael Cox, The Cryin' Shames, The Outlaws, Screaming Lord Sutch and The Tornados - recordings which have languished in the vaults for five decades and should finally now see the light of day. Further the tea chests contain demo recordings of (among others) Ray Davies, (who wrote some songs for The Honeycombs), Georgie Fame, Jonathan King, Alvin Lee, Gene Vincent, Rod Stewart, Steve Marriott and an early line-up of the band who became Status Quo. Finally it is said that there is also a demo tape of a certain Mark Feld, who later found fame under the name Marc Bolan with his band T. Rex. Cherry Red plan to work closely with Alan Wilson at Western Star on the tape digitization and mastering side, as well as Pete Rochford and the Joe Meek Society to bring these amazing sounds to an audience who have been waiting patiently for many years.

Back