• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Summer Travels

Night_Watch

Junior Acolyte
Hey all! Although I'm not so much of a Fortean traveller there are a few places of interest I've been. Castles in beloved Northumberland and York that have historic value and [some] with paranormal activity come to mind. Archeology sites near home and in North East England, as visited on many a summer school trip, have some Fortean worth too. A weekend stay at a London church [Hammersmith maybe] sleeping in a rumoured to be haunted crypt was chilly and ... chilling. Maybe my most interesting 'travel' was twenty five or so summers ago when I briefly worked as a volunteer helping with conservation of Maiden Castle [an Iron Age hillfort] in Dorset. Further afield and another summer was a visit to Montserrat [Spain] with an included viewing of the 'Black Madonna'.

Anywho! Last summer I was visiting family in Germany when the 9€ per month travel 'anywhere' permit was all the rage. As it was so cheap to do so we decided to visit a few places. We had a couple days in Berlin where we took in the sights including sections of a certain wall, checkpoint Charlie and the fastest elevator in Europe - twenty five floors in twenty seconds - and the Panoramapunkt. There was then a day with 'Tuffi' spotting on The Wuppertaler Schwebebahn ("Wuppertal Suspension Railway") which is a great experience for those interested in railways or engineering in general. That same day we visited the not altogether Fortean yet still very interesting Chocolate museum in Cologne. [SuGaR RuSh!].

I was, throughout those 'expeditions', taken right back to my childhood and those other mostly enjoyed summer trips. We still never found the Three Hare Window in Paderborn [around the Dom] though we do now know how to get to it on our next visit.

With still untold journeys and, hopefully, more to come maybe I am more of a Fortean traveller than first realised. Happy travels too you all!

And to you!

I enjoyed a really great 'ghost walk' around York one night around 20 years ago, in a group led by a very urbane elderly gent in a white suit & trilby. Good fun. Like you I queued to see the Black Madonna in Montserrat too :)

Back