• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Swinging 60s Filmic Artifacts

Just out of interest, I traced some of the route shown in the Sammy Lee opening sequence. (It opens on Peter Street, travelling south west, before turning north on to the southern end of Berwick Street - with the sign for Walkers Court just visible to the left before the turn.)

For what must be some of the most expensive real estate in the world, Soho has remained remarkably low-rise and recognisable over the decades; someone stepping out of that movie would probably not get lost in 2021 - although there'd be less sex around now, and everything would look much shinier.

I was also interested if any of the shops or cafes in the film were still in existence. The pubs would be mostly still there, shops - probably unlikely; but there are at least a couple of long established cafes still doing business. I couldn't find any of the better known ones (eg Bar Italia, Algerian Coffee Stores) but I see that there is an Isolabella restaurant on Red Lion Street which I wonder is the modern day iteration of the Isola Bella you can see at 0:47 - on Frith Street.
I dated a girl who managed 'The French House' in Dean St, Soho, thats been there since 1891, not sure it was in the footage.

Back