• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Talking To The Dead Is Just A Bit Of Fun

A

Anonymous

The fad for psychic t.v. (I'm sure I've got one of their records somewhere ;) ) has attracted the attention of The Authorities. ;)

TV spirit shows broke broadcast rules

TV regulators have ruled that two shows in which presenters claim to have contacted the dead breached broadcasting rules.

The Independent Television Commission said the shows Crossing Over and 6ixth Sense screened by Living TV should have been clearly labelled as "entertainment".

However, the broadcasting body said they would be allowed to continue screening them if clear announcements were put in place before and after the shows.

In the programmes, mediums purported to contact the spirit world and pass on messages to members of the studio audience.

However ITC rules say demonstrations involving supposed contact with the dead are not acceptable in factual programming, except for the purposes of a legitimate investigation.

The Commission ruled the programmes breached the code because they were not clearly presented as entertainment, and there was no debate about whether they were genuine spiritual techniques.

However it ruled it also needed to clarify aspects of its rules to prevent any future confusion.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_786238.html?menu=news.latestheadlines

On telly there are always loads of these men in frocks who claim to talk
to a big spirit in the sky and I've seen them putting a hat on the
Queen and stuff. I think I should have a right to reply or at least
set them in the context of an investigation. :p

quite! how does tbn get away without a health warning 24 hours a day?

Crossing Over and 6ixth Sense

Any program that wilfully chooses to be known as '6ixth Sense' should be banned forever.

Clever editing is the new clairvoyance.

And 'audience participation'...lots of comedies (esp. on BBC!) give their audiences glasses of red wine beforehand, to make them laugh...harder to spot than canneed laughter..this stuff is bottlded!!

Is it possible to interact with the dead? Belief in such encounters is more widespread than we might think. Yet sociologists, unlike other disciplines, have not fully engaged the question. Here, I review both long-standing theoretical objections to such research and recent theories that encourage attention to the issue. Leaning on the latter, I use closed- and open-ended survey data collected from 535 Americans to explore what I call “living-deceased perceived interaction.” My data show that nearly half of my study participants report meaningful and regular interactions with deceased relatives and friends who were important in their lives. I examine the characteristics of such interactions—how and when they are performed and what these experiences mean to respondents. I also investigate the role of one’s social location in initiating interactions with the dead. Finally, I explore the social benefits, if any, these interactions provide for individuals who engage in them.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/23780231231203658

Back