• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tarot Cards: Using Them For Divination, Gaming, Etc.

i agree with donna black to an extent. my grandma gave me my one and only pack when i was about nine with a bundle of man myth and magics...lol bless her she introduced me to snowballs too.
now i do my advocaat neat.(hehe)
double major horseshoe to the un-believers :)

I have a couple of decks and one deck that I designed and made up myself.

I only use them to figure out things that 'bother' me on an internal level and wouldn't do a reading for anyone else these days.

I lay them out and somehow they manage to reason out what the real problems are and show me a way to get things back under control. Normally when I can't work this out for myself on my own.

I must admit that I haven't used them for a couple of years now.

I believe that the images used reflect something in your unconcious and you use that to interpret the cards and therefore come up with your own answers.

Predicting the future would mean that you have to believe in fate and I'm not sure that I do....

Don't use tarot. Can't bear them. They make my skin itch and I just find them horrible. Don't know why. They are only bits of cardboard after all, and the majority of me knows this and looks on at my physical reaction to them with bemused and marginally frustrated resignation. I was given my first deck when I was 12, and given another a couple of years back as a joke (Shapeshifter tarot - what a pile of wank, but a good joke).

I do read runes, which I made myself about 14 years ago. I don't bother for myself any more, not really. At the end of the day, the system you use makes no difference. The symbols are really only clues to something else. After all, the tarot are just bits of cardboard with pictures on them, the runes just bits of stuff with lines etched into them. Even when you consider the symbols to be potent, the potency lies in the effect they have on your own mind, not some grand, mystical connection with the universe. Hence I get a bit mean with people who get all precious about their cards.

Accuracy? Yes. I don't let anyone tell me what they want to know, not before, not after. I tell them what seems to be important to them from the runes, and then they can decide whether or not I'm accurate. I started doing this when some chap told me he wanted to know about his job, the entire reading pointed to a pregnancy in the family so strongly that I had to call him on it, and then he confessed that he had just found out his girlfriend was pregnant and he couldn't stop thinking about it.

How does it work? I don't know. Body language, probably, subtle cues. We are social animals, after all, and must have evolved some pretty advanced techniques for reading other people. It might even be pheromones or morphic resonance (!) or something. I don't think that these divination sets allow you to tap into the Akashic records or anything like that, and I don't think they contain any intrinsic value (other than materials and possibly craftmanship). I've used the way the pool balls go down before now. I also know someone who uses AltaVista.

But I would also point out that what you get is the reader's interpretation, and you can always turn round and say 'What a pile of crap' (or something similar but polite). Any reader worth his salt will be able to take that. Equally, any reader worth his salt will know that learning how to go by instinct rather than rote is what makes a reading a good one.

As for payment - do you value the opportunity to have that discussion? Is the reader's time of any value to you? If not, why bother asking for a reading? If it is, at least show willing to offer some reward if the reading you get is to your satisfaction. You are paying for their efforts, but you can always place your own value on what you have received. It needn't be money.

Sam (who doesn't mind being paid in booze, ta)

Well, a few things is that me and my much older half brother - he was taken away and put up for adoption, didn't meet him until a few years back (we don't look like siblings at all) share apart from a passion for cooking or fixing up things, is that we've experienced the paranormal - funnily enough, when I discovered I had 'esp' (thank you, weird school shrink...) 2 months later, I discovered I had an older half brother, who in turn had esp but lost it when he was 19.

Back to the tarot thing. My half bro did tarot ages ago, and he took omens very seriously as well - and he did some real accurate readings - he'd go into pubs, and some mate would introduce someone to him, and he'd whip out the cards and read his future, which the results would turn out to be pretty much right on the spot. (he scored lots of awed girlfriends as well) Then, he lost them, and he's never looked back because he said that it was pretty much time, and he had to move on.

I got the Rider-Waites deck, like my sis did (she's lost interest in them - just as well - she was SO negative and really bossy in the readings) and I do get emotional about the cards, because what I do believe in is that each single card can hold diverse meanings within the image for different Readers.

Anyone can read 'omens' - not just black or white cats or ladders, but what do you do when you look out of the window to see if it'll rain later in the day? Anyone can open their mind and try to see what things truly are, but many choose to move on, and seek more practical things, either from the beginning or right smack in the middle of life. That's what the cards and tea leaves and runes are - simply omens that inspires our hidden premotions that we usually ignore and it's just a matter of faith.

Tarot

I think that I have always been told that you cannot read for yourself either. I am very grabby with my cards. I don't actually let anyone touch them.

Told you I was grabby...

I used to do my own readings all the time. I used it as a method of analyzing my present
and near future in my current life situations. It was always correct, but its easy to mold
the interpretations to what was going on then, and I think that this business of witches
getting two or four fold back when they cast bad spells on people is nonsense.
In my opinion, its storys concoted by parents and the religous community to try and persuade
people from experimenting with the arts. Just like how premarrital sex will send you to
hell, yea right.:D

3x3=...

Umm, getting three fold back kinda makes sense to me. A lot of it is related to ethics that are around in other religions, but I doubt that our parents and the religious community invented it to scare us. It gives you something to work around doesn't it??????

IIRC, the modern notion of the Threefold Law originates in Wicca, and is probably culled from some part of Leland's Aradia - Doreen Valiente had a lot to do with making a lot of Wicca more poetic, and I seem to recall that she implied the Threefold Law was another of her poetic transformations when talking at the PF National Conference just before she died.

A great deal of modern romantic notions about the 'law' of returns stems from an interpretation of notions of karma, heavily influenced by the prevalent culture of the early 20th century, of course coloured by Christian ideals. There have been a number of comparisons drawn between modern Wicca and Christinaity because of their common abdication of responsibility in favour of an all-powerful God, Goddess or God/Goddess.

Personally I do not hold with any notion of a law of return, except when it comes to social currency. Game Theory would suggest that the selfish/altruistic behaviours result in inavoidable consequences in a social culture. Otherwise, the notion of return would suggest that there is a Big Giant Head somewhere keeping tabs on everyone's behaviour so as to plan their reward or come-uppance. I've never come across such a beast, personally.

Sam

triple whammy

The explanation I heard of the Threefold Law was that Occult artist Austin Osman Spare invented it during an argument with Gerald Gardener. After that it just kind of stuck..
Whether it's true or not it's a very lovely story, I can just see crotchety old Spare being pumped for info by Gardener and making up something on the spot.
I've had a few debates with witches and pagans over the Threefold law and a lot, but by no means all, seem to believe it's a bunch of arse.
In my experience the universe doesn't function with the kind of human judgement that the threefold law seems to imply. There's just no point in handcuffing yourself with this kind of karmic retribution. If you believe in it, it's likely to manifest.

93 93 93

Peter Grey

Time Delay

Why is it that some psychics/mediums tell you things that did, but no longer, apply. A clairaudiant told me that my mother was telling me i was in danger. I recognised the situation she was referring to but also recognised that that part of my life was over and had been for many months before i met this woman.
During recent readings, two people told me i will move house but i only moved last summer. Does this mean i will move again or is this 'observation' from someone who is getting the timing wrong? Is there some kind of "timeslip" between us and the spiritual world.

I read Tarot cards but only for myself or close friends.
I'd be very happy to be a subject for the experiment "can tarot be read across the message boards?"

I started reading Tarot way back in 1968 prior to that I used ordinary playing cards ! Tarot was much more helpful as the images are more evocative. I now use the Mythic Tarot and for years have enjoyed working with it.
I charge no fee......give no more than 2 readings a year to the same person and always explain that they are able to make alterations to their future and are not dependant on what the cards say .The Tarot is a guide for living your life..it gives advice....it is not a straight forward prediction tool.......although it will predict events that cannot be changed(some things are fixed in fate). I am appalled by so-called Psychic lines etc. which I believe to be a grotesque manipulation of needy people .I always meet sitters personally and spend at least an hour to two hours with them.....I've never taken a penny. I explain the Death card can be very helpful....it predicts change..........the card of the Devil need not be feared and even The Tower has a place to play in our lifes .I encourage sitters to take notes or record the sitting for their future referance and have never experienced a 'bad' sitting . I refuse point-blank to include a third party( you really don't want others hearing potentially intimate details ) am very discreet and always assure sitters I soon forget my own readings because I am in light trance during them(don't want them thinking I remember all their private details..they might find that upsetting.).
Poeple do not need The Tarot in their lives..it's an option and if you feel un-comfortable during a reading....walk away..and don't pay!! I think I'm pretty good at it.........but if I was that good I would have predicted the winning lottery numbers for myself by now..............I wish..I wish!!!!

Funnily enough...

A few weeks ago I dug out my Tarot cards, which I hadn't used since about 1984.

I'd been using them since the mid-seventies, just doing readings for myself and sometimes for friends. I finally stopped doing it because I was getting things too right and it was starting to spook me. (I used to write down my own readings so I could cross-check)

I never considered them as magic, or even paranormal, just a way of accessing the subconscious, for all the information that we take in, lock up and don't conciously use and often can't get at.

I used to use them in my writing as a means of plotting, again basically as route to the subconscious, this was mainly why I dug them out again.

I used to read the cards a lot for myself and friends. I never charged, although sometimes people used to want to offer me money or buy me drinks or something as a 'thank you'. I also did some 'online' readings on one of the Usenet newsgroups, as a way of testing myself. I asked for feedback, and what I got was generally positive, but then I think I am quite vague :)

When I started I believed in the collective unconscious and that tarot could be a way of tapping into it. I saw it as a means of spiritual development, and I used to meditate on the cards most days, and do guided visualisations to learn more about their meanings. At the time I would get into a 'zone' where I felt like I knew it was 'working'. I still read occasionally but don't feel like that anymore, maybe because I stopped doing all the meditation or maybe because I don't believe it in the same way anymore.

Now I use it, as some others have mentioned, as a way to explore my thoughts and feelings. Sometimes if I'm upset or confused it can help to objectify all that in the visuals and physical layout of the cards - a bit like writing a diary can help you work out how you are feeling. When I read for others I certainly use what they tell me - I see it more as an opportunity for them to get something helpful from the experience rather than 'telling their fortune'. I think the reading is something that is constructed between the reader and the readee. (Is that a word? :) )

Basically, I think it's all about meanings. You learn the meanings of the cards, and over time your understanding takes on new layers and gets deeper as you relate it to your life and to emotions, experiences and events. For someone receiving a reading, it should be a meaningful experience that helps them learn something about their situation and gets them thinking about themself and where they are going.

My friend/roommate/girlfriend/thing likes tarot cards. She has two sets: A little miniature one that I gave her, and a set of "fortune cards" (not a real tarot deck, as the cards are different) that her brother gave her. She has two odd superstitions about tarot cards:
1.) You can't choose or purchase your own deck. They must be given as a gift.
2.) You shouldn't touch or play with another person's tarot cards unless you have their permission to do so. (Then again, I guess this goes for anything that doesn't belong to you! ;) )

I don't know where these ideas came from.

She's done readings for herself, me, and our friends. For free, of course, whenever we're bored and we ask her about it. She's even done a reading or two on my "haunted" doll. :) Occasionally she does a whole little spread with us picking out the cards, but most of the time she just shuffles through the deck face-down and waits for cards to sort of throw themselves out, until she feels that there are enough.

The readings are usually pretty accurate, but she attributes most of this to the fact that you can interpret the cards as pretty much anything.

Though I have to say, there ARE a few odd coincidences in her readings. (Cards that show up repeatedly, for only one person. The fact that random cards like to fly out of the deck when she's handling them, but they all stay put when I have them, ect.)

I have my own deck of "fortune cards" that she got me as a Christmas present, but I haven't tried using them yet. I just fawned over the pretty pictures. :D

I've done a reading once for a friend, and it turned out that I got exactly the same results she obtained a couple of years back from a tarot reader located on a different continent ... what we saw was that she was going to be a young widow, her husband passing away on an accident :nooo:
she was pretty surprised and since then she got obsessed with having her fortune read. Same happened with 2 other friends, so I decided to put a stop to it and will not do the cards for other people anymore :(
Sometimes, it just doesn't matter how hard to try to explain it, people (in general) seem to believe that you are setting their lives in stone, which is most untrue :cry:

A true diviner of the cards will not pass on bad news like that. I n my experience the cards are rarely that specific!!!

I'm interested in tarot, but I know little about it..can I ask a couple of things anyone..

Do you think that it is possible that when a reading is given the information can somehow program the subconscious of the target and actually lead to those predicted events occurring when they may not have done before? I have always been wary of tarot (and other divination) for this reason.

Also, over the years I've heard a handful of second-hand accounts in which tarot reading have been followed by some really nasty stuff happening to the people who had them. Is there anything there really to be scared of, or are these just ULs?

Do you think that it is possible that when a reading is given the information can somehow program the subconscious of the target and actually lead to those predicted events occurring when they may not have done before? I have always been wary of tarot (and other divination) for this reason.

Also, over the years I've heard a handful of second-hand accounts in which tarot reading have been followed by some really nasty stuff happening to the people who had them. Is there anything there really to be scared of, or are these just ULs?

Ah, the old self-fulfilling prophecy eh? Well, the corpus of evidence would imply that auto-suggestion, especially when an individual (either as diviner or postulant) is in a heightened state of consciousness, can be a very powerful effect. This can of course be mitigated somewhat, by a number of practical and moral devices. Whether by the very “voicing” of such germinal futures, you bring them into existence well we’ve certainly seen that belief / fear across the centuries and across the continents – the Roman Sybilline Verses for just one example.

In my limited use of the Tarot, originally only studied as a side-effect of the teachings of Clifford Bias (some of whose teachings I have incorporated into my “Magical pantheon of TMS”, some of which I have discarded as “inappropriate” – to me personally anyway), the emphasis was always on the role of the Tarot as a storyteller. The Tarot loves to tell tales. It’s pretty awful at simple yes/no answers. True some cards imply negativity, just as some reflect the positive.

In terms of “horrible things happening to people after a reading”, I always like to use the analogy that statistics present us with the fact (in the UK at least) that 1 in 3 people will develop cancer. Whether they are an Xtian, Jew, Gentile, atheist or devotee of cartomancy. Again, only from a personal POV, I consider the consultation of the tarotic Oracle as insufficient reason to bring the wrath of the Host of (fundy Xtian) Heaven down upon one’s head.

The idea that tarot is in some way dangerous or frightening is inherently superstitious and being 'scared away' by 'accurate' readings makes no sense to me .... if you expected it to be a load of old nonsense why did you read or have read for you in the first place?

I seldom read for other people as, as with people who read newspaper horoscopes, they are usually after a little light entertainment which will flit from their heads the minute they leave the table and thus are a complete waste of my time and effort, or they have some desperate need or problem which would be better dealt with directly rather than indulging their misconceived ideas about 'fortune-telling', or else occasionally they are some miserable skeptic who desires to belittle me for the ridiculous beliefs they assume I must hold to be doing it.
In any case I cannot think of any conceivable combination of cards in any spread I know of that would lead me to read 'you are going to be a young widow, your husband passing away in an accident' or anything of the sort.

The cards for me are archetypes: influences, feelings, personality traits and types of experience, the way these interrelate ... in a spread I can usually connect each one to something that is going on in my life, or in my head, or my reaction to it, and the 'outcomes' are possible consequences of the same nature, not predicted future events. All things are allegorical, metaphorical and philosophical. And magic(k)al.

But they are not 'predictions of the future'.

Asking the tarot what's going to happen next week is like asking the buddha which garage in Croydon sells the cheapest petrol.

A true diviner of the cards will not pass on bad news like that.
Elfriend, I understand and respect that, honestly, but you must understand that I hold a VERY STRICT IF NOT SOMETIMES ANNOYING "policy of truth" accompanied by a "don't ask if you don't want to really really know, or if you are afraid of the outcome and not ready to hear what I might have to say: good or bad" policy.
I spend a good 20/30 min. or so warning my friends about the cons of tarot reading, and the psychological effects the readings tend to have upon some people. I also warn them about the fact that I'm human being and make mistakes, and that I don't believe the future is a 100% pre-set thing. By now, they know me and know my way. Indeed, they are fed up of my preaching over them! ;) But they respect my honesty and they thank me for (we live in a world where a large amount of people is out there waiting to lick you ass in exchange for something else, they know for sure I'm not one of them). I'm not a con artist, I'm their friend. I'm not the sort of person who will tell them what they want to hear just for the sake of it. If they ask a question they know they are going to get a bloddy straight-forward answer, and if they don't want that kind of answer they rather go to someone else. I treat people as I want to be treated, I don't like to be lied about, specially when I ask a question and expect a honest reply.
However, I must say that I never read for strangers, only for friends. The reason nr.1 is that I know I can be straight-forward and honest with my friends, they know me and know my way well, but I can't force that resposibility on a stranger.

As per:
I n my experience the cards are rarely that specific!!!
They have often been to me, just as sometimes they are vague. I was merely stating a fact born from personal experience. You are free to disbelief me though. I understand it, you are not the first and surely won't be the last! :? But that won't change what I saw back then.
It is fine if you don't believe me, but please don't try to burn me on a stake next time it happens!!!! ;) :nooo:

being 'scared away' by 'accurate' readings makes no sense to me .... if you expected it to be a load of old nonsense why did you read or have read for you in the first place?

That's exactly my point! That's why I spend 20m talking to them before the reading. Just to avoid such reactions. My policy is: Want it? Take it! Don't want it! Don't ask then ... Simple ... ;)

In any case I cannot think of any conceivable combination of cards in any spread I know of that would lead me to read 'you are going to be a young widow, your husband passing away in an accident' or anything of the sort.

Again, you are free to disbelief me. That won't change what I saw. The only thing I would kindly ask you is that, for politeness sake, keep such comments under the label of points of views rather than insults. I'm not a lier, if it is that whay you guys are implying ...
Thanks!

Asking the tarot what's going to happen next week is like asking the buddha which garage in Croydon sells the cheapest petrol.

I don't see logic or practicality on asking the buddha such question!!! But then, I can't drive! ;)

Kitty said:
Just to lighten the mood, my current deck is the Hello Kitty Tarot and I adore it. I spent months colouring in all the cards and them laminating them, so although I did buy it or myself, I've put a lot of myself into them.

Here's a review: http://www.themysticeye.com/reviews/hellokitty.htm

I think I must have one of those! I collect decks (or "packs" as the proper term) and I adore Hello Kitty.

I have a deck of Tarot cards and a book about how to use them ( plus a crystal ball but that's not really the point here.)
I have only ever used them to fool around with and not for serious purposes as I do not know what I am doing. I admit it.

But I have this question: Let's say you have a tarot card reading. The Tarot person does the spread of cards and delivers all the news to you. That is your fortune.
Now a simple shuffling of the cards will give you a whole different result. If you shuffle again you will get something else........and so on and so on.
So how can it be that the first spread is correct and accurate when there are an infinite number of possibilities for an outcome?

Tell me please ....someone.......anyone:?:

Well, Redhead - try it out. You'll probably find (I do) that in practice you turn up the same cards over and over. Whether this involves the limitations of deck shuffling or the mystic influence on the cards I wouldn't know how to determine.

If the cards can be used as accurate fortunetelling devices, then the shuffling, which normally randomizes the deck, is in fact a method of allowing whatever unconscious forces are at work to manipulate the deck to give a suitable answer. If, as most practictioners require, you ask a specific question, I find cards will restate the original layout in slightly different form (much like re-phrasing an answer for someone who didn't understand you the first time) two or three times, and then start spitting out random cards that even I can't force into a pattern as the "spirits" get fed up (or the deck gets properly randomized, or my patternmaker gets bored - take your pick).

If - as seems probable - tarot cards are not accurate fortunetelling devices, then they function much like other systems of reading signs, by taking advantage of the human predeliction for finding meaning in randomness. This is what I assume I'm doing when I do a reading for myself. Something is bothering me, so I shuffle the cards with a soothing ritual (I chant "Xilka xilka, besa besa," which is from *Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth,* by E.L. Konigsberg, one of the truly influential books of my life), lay out the cards in a structured pattern, and gaze at the pretty pictures, interpreting them according to the structure and the known context. It would be surprising, given that I am constantly engaged in making up stories, if I couldn't make such rich pictures take on some sort of personally relevant meaning. It isn't always reassuring and sometimes is paradoxically helpful in making me face up to reality, like the time my friend was dying and I couldn't keep the six, ten, and three of swords out of my layouts no matter how I shuffled, or the time I was desperately hoping that my life wasn't in the process of changing and that I hadn't been fooling myself, and my significator turned up as the Tower, with the 7 of Cups (Illusion) in a ruthlessly accurate position. These are dramatic instances; but I'm convinced that the source of the meaning is me, not the cards per se.

I don't know whether this is a limitation on my ability to tell a story about my own life, or confirmatory evidence that the cards can only tell me what I already know even if I don't want to admit it, but it's rare for me to be able to interpret the Resolution card satisfactorily, the only card which, in the configuration I use, is actually about the future rather than the present. I can tell myself (through telekinesis or imaginative projection) all about my present situation, but the cards have not been a great help in predicting the future. The one time they did, I refused to accept it because I wasn't about to let a bunch of cardboard tell me John was going to die.

NB - Consistency being the bugbear of small minds, even though I don't believe they're magic in any way, I am strict about not letting other people mess around with my tarot cards. They can shuffle if they want me to do a reading, but otherwise, hands off. I don't do the whole wrapped in silk business, because it's a crummy little commercial deck and it'd be silly. But it is a fact that if the wrong person handles a deck it messes up my ability to make sense of the layouts.

I discovered this way back when I was dating a guy who had a fancy deck that he used all the time, and claimed to get brilliant readings out of, but only when no one was around. If I was there, the cards would become wishy-washy, and I couldn't read them for myself at all. Since I'd had much better results with other decks, I bought one myself, something mildly arty but much simpler than T's, and was able to give illuminating readings for myself and my friends, until he started handling them, when suddenly I couldn't make sense of them anymore. I have since discovered that T was a pathological liar and an emotional vampire, and have a strong suspicion that the "brilliant readings" he got when no one was looking were brilliant because he carefully picked out the cards he wanted and put them in the order he wanted, in order to make whatever point he was co-opting the cards to make for him that day. I eventually left the deck when I left him, and after awhile paid bottom dollar for a mini-Ryder, which has always functioned perfectly.

Since my experience otherwise is more psychological than psychic, it's possible that trying to fit into this man's general atmosphere of dishonesty was interfering with my ability to make meaningful patterns, and that since then letting too many people fiddle with the cards disrupts a ritual element necessary to producing the right sorts of patterns. Or I could be in denial about my own psychic powers, I guess. :)

Dudes, what happened to Dr. Fu's post? I remember it and there wasn't anything in it that needed deleting. It even included useful information.

Anyway, since my life is still in flux and I had to stay home and off the computer yesterday, I did two readings, one general and one focused on my health, and something peculiar happened. I won't give you the whole layout, but in the general reading my significator was the Fool, covered by the Emperor, crossed by Temperance. In the health reading, my significator was the Emperor, covered by the World, crossed by Temperance. Both times (and per Dr. Fu's advice I made sure of randomizing properly by shuffling 8 times) the King of Swords was in the "hopes and fears" position, once up and once reversed.

What in the heck does it mean to be crossed by Temperance!?! It's one of the commonly-appearing cards in my readings and it usually appears in a place where I can make it mean that I've got common sense and good judgement if I'll only use them. (Not a stretch for most of us, eh? You see how the process works for me.) I'm having a hard time convincing myself that common sense and good judgement are working against me, but I haven't succeeded in producing another meaning. The King of Swords might be my husband, about whom I am worried, but he's usually the Knight; I'm inclined to think that card reflects my fear and loathing of the Present Administration, but think it's odd that I'm expecting that to mess up both my general life and my health, and would welcome other readings.

The health reading also offered me lots of money, so either it's addressing the wrong question or my new insurance is going to come through really well.

But I don't believe in in, nope, not me. :roll:

PeniG said:
What in the heck does it mean to be crossed by Temperance!?!

Uum, without knowing the pack you use, the type of spread, and allowing for the ethnocentric peccadillos of different practictioners around the world it is more difficult to create an accurate or meaningful interpretation, but I’ll have a stab at the general one:

The fool as I’m sure you know, indicates the beginning of a journey, or enterprise. Blissful “ignorance” of where this road will take you, is tempered by the fact that it appears that external influences contrive to assist you in avoiding any pitfalls at the outset. In my RW pack, this is signified by the cuddly puss ‘n’ pooch meowing and barking to alert the fool to the fact he’s about to tread in a hole / walk off the path.

When you say “covered by the Emperor”, that sounds like a type of celtic cross spread? If so, I’ve always used the “covered” card to signify the cause of opposition to the “self” (unless we’re talking at massively crossed purposes, you refer to this as the “significator”) card, ie the first card drawn and positioned. Again, just from my understanding, the Emperor is archetypal mature masculine. Powerful, wise, grave of judgement but difficult to anger. More material than the Hierophant, this card does not suggest to me a person, but a dictated routine. A job or formal obligation (such as paying a mortgage or equally visiting a sick relative at a set time each week). Having the maturity to accept responsibility is also represented by this card.

Again, depending on your interpretation of “crossed”, the temperance card could represent any of the following: A liminal state between the conscious and subconscious. A melding of these disparate, and seemingly irreconcilable elements. A catalytic process, a mechanism where the self undergoes metamorphosis, from one discrete condition to another. A change in polarity – either from bad to good, or just as importantly, the other way: from good to bad. It’s flux…

As I disclaimed at the beginning of my post, without the full SP (state of play, lowdown) of your process it’s difficult to ascribe meaning. If any of what I’ve said resonates, PM me if you want to go into more detail, I’ll mirror your layout and draw a full reading from that to mail you back?

Oh, one more thing. I now don't reverse minor arcana, just the major. That has clarified a lot of my readings, on a personal level. It works, to my mind, because many of the minor Arcana are plain in their meaning. frinstance: 3 of swords is negative, whichever way around it is drawn in the spread. Of course you can *imply* a positive or negative slant to the minor cards when they're reversed or not, but there's no need to slavishly follow the practice.

For the major arcana, obviously the reverse / normal layout is important as it can fundementally change the interpretation. Like i said, that's just me tho'...

I use a mini Ryder Waite and lay out a Celtic cross, with the self/significator covered (supported) and crossed (presented with obstacles) as the first cards down. The little booklet that came with is nearly useless, so I reference a paperback Wiccan handbook and stare at the cards and usually come up with something useful.

I don't remember all the cards anymore, but I had the Magician in the root position (under, representing the source of the situation) and the Hanged Man reversed above (representing the surrounding conditions). I usually interpret the Magician as my profession - taking all the elements of life and working wonders with them. (That sounds egotistical but it's what artists of all kinds are striving to do.) I don't think I've ever had the Hanged Man turn up that he wasn't reversed, but he isn't frequent enough to have a standard meaning. In my current life circumstances I am taking him to reflect the fact that the stuff going on right now has changed not only my life, but the way I look at my life, and not so far in a good way.

Your interpretation of the Emperor is interesting, as the most immediate problem I have is that the day job sucks out energy I badly need for other activities, like breathing, but I have a commitment to stick it out for a year and ten months more. At that time, the house will be paid off, my husband's income will cover the bills, and I can finally quit wage slave hell and live all day every day. I know it's being mature and responsible to do this, but I really really really hate it and so far being mature and responsible has gotten me nothing that I want, so I am tempted every morning to be immature and irresponsible and quit right now.

The only completely unambiguous card in the layout was the Fool as significator. It's so applicable right now it's not even funny. The two of cups reversed looked pretty unambiguous to me - my husband's illness turned our marriage upside down - except that it was to the right of the center, in the immediate future position, and the illness's effects hit at New Year's and climaxed in March and April.

The outcome was Justice, so I'm not scared by this layout, but I usually can make more sense of things than this unless I'm actively resisting an interpretation, which I don't think I am. I actually did a third reading, for clarification, which came out with more than half the cards upside down and Temperance as the significator, and staring at it I suddenly realized that the overarching message in that one was - "You're looking at things all wrong." So I've stopped turning cards over until I can feel a real change in perception and get rid of whatever false assumption I'm making. I thought I'd stripped off all the illusions earlier this year, but if there's any more I guess I'd better hunt them down and kill them.

That’s what I was talking about re personal / local preference. I’ve only ever, for the celtic cross, used the self / significator. Then the card laid across that is the “obstacle” / opposition. There is no supporting card in my readings. The card below is the “cause” – ie formative / long since passed, the card above the “effect” or far future. We agree on left and right being immediate past and future respectively. The four cards on the right of this configuration, starting from the bottom up signify the group, warnings / guidance, hopes and or fears, and outcome.

So, possibly I would interpret the reading as:

Active, controlled desire to achieve an outcome is your historical starting point. This is not something that came about of itself, but was something driven by you / your will, with a focussed intent to achieve a desirous outcome – the card suggests the intellect, rather than the body. A quest for enlightenment, rather than the building of a house (one of the coins / disks suit) for example.

The fool is a journey that is to begin, whether wanted or no. There is a path that must be taken, and a destination to be reached. However what opposes this is the need to “knuckle down” to something, that is rooted in the material world.

The hanged man in the “effect” / distant future would suggest to me the universe drawing in breath. This is a time for meditation, maybe even acceptance of a facet of your life that you have struggled against for a long, long time. It’s difficult in English language to separate acceptance from simply “giving up”, but the positive aspects of accepting a situation, and looking within it to find a hidden meaning you can use for your own benefit are what I would emphasise here. This isn’t a drowning man sinking to the ocean floor. This is a drowning man realising he is the ocean. After all, the hanged man is the story of Odin’s enlightenment when hung from the world tree. Harsh and sometimes painful, but containing the promise to offset this hardship with something truly worthwhile.

The two of cups (which I wouldn’t reverse as stated in my post above) is simply the old story: two’s company and three’s a crowd. Physical, emotional, intellectual attraction. This initial attraction will lead to a union of sorts. This card strongly advises kinship and collective endeavour, rather than forging ahead alone. Similarly, it suggests re-unification, whether that is of people or circumstances in your life, or indeed divisive impulses or questions you have in your own mind. Healing, bonding, and becoming stronger through that. It goes without saying to state that this card does not solely imply the physical. If you are the wronged, rise above and forgive, if the wronger – look for forgiveness with an honest heart.

You’ve got justice nailed down, so we don’t need to go into that.

As I’ve mentioned previously, all the tarot do is tell stories. If I saw a spread that had the chariot, death and the tower I would not immediately stop driving a car for fear of it crashing, if you get my meaning? ;)

Nice explination of Tarot by filmmaker & otherwise cool guy Alexandro Jodorowsky:

http://www.hotweird.com/jodorowsky/tarot.html
ORIGIN
by Alexandro JODOROWSKY
------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one knows who created Tarot, or where, or when. No one knows what that word means or what language it comes from. Nor is it known whether playing cards come from it or whether it is the end result of a slow evolution which would have begun with the creation of a deck called naïbbe (cards) to which the MAJOR ARCANA and the COURT CARDS would have later been added. Unquestionably the earliest reference mark is the interdiction of the deck of cards in Berne in 1376. In 1392, it is mentioned in the books of Charles Peupart, treasurer of Charles VI, that Jacquemin Gringonneur of Paris was paid 56 pence to paint three gilded decks of cards. But that does not mean that Gringonneur invented Tarot. In 1377, a German monk named Johannes mentions a deck of cards which he saw in Switzerland. In Spain, the deck of cards is first mentioned in 1378. In 1457, Saint Anthony refers to Tarot in his "Treatise on theology". And in 1500, a Latin manuscript -"Sermones de ludo cum aliis"- comprises a list of the MAJOR ARCANA. Until the 18th century, Tarot is thought of as a game of chance and its deeper meaning goes unnoticed. Its features are copied, modified, mutilated, embellished, adorned with portraits of the nobility, they serve the court's ostentation. But in 1781, French author Court de Gébelin rediscovers the Tarot (of Marseilles) and presents it in the ninth volume of his "Primitive World". Adding a zero to Le Mat (the Fool), misnumbering the Hermit and Temperance, adding a leg to the Magician's table, modifying the Pope's scepter, drawing the Hanged Man standing up, etc., he thus claims to correct the "mistake" of the original and, ignoring his own inaccuracies, attributes to Tarot a purely invented origin: the 22 MAJOR ARCANA would be hieroglyphs from the "Book of Thoth" saved from the ruins of Egyptian temples over a thousand years ago... Ten years later, a soothsayer in vogue, the barber Eteilla "restores" the "meaning" of the Tarot of Marseilles and sets between his whimsical Arcana no less whimsical links with Astrology and Kabbala. Since then, thousands of books have been written to the effect that Tarot comes from the Egyptians, the Chaldeans, the Hebrews, the Arabs, the Hindus, the Greeks, the Chinese, the Mayas, Extraterrestrials, Superhumans, when one does not evoke Atlantis or Adam himself, suspected of having designed the first sketches! The word TAROT would be Egyptian (TAR path; RO, ROS, ROB: royal), Indo-Tartar (TAN-TARA: zodiac) Hebrew (TORA: law), Latin (ROTA: wheel; ORAT: he speaks), Sanskrit ( TAT: the whole; TAR-O: fixed star), Chinese (TAO), etc. Various ethnic and religious groups, various secret societies have claimed authorship: Gypsies, Jews, Freemasons, Rosicrucians, Sufis... Influences from the Gospel and Revelation can be seen (in cards such as the WORLD, the HANGED MAN, the EMPRESS, JUSTICE, TEMPERANCE, STRENGTH, The DEVIL, The POPE, JUDGMENT), as well as Tantric teachings, the "I Ching" and the Aztec Solar Calendar. Some see Tarot as being alchemical, cabalistic, astrological, arithmomancean. Every society, every esoteric group, every branch of magic, every Initiate, every nationality, every artist then feels the need to finally paint the real Tarot... In the past two hundred years, over seven thousand new decks have appeared! Hundreds of ancient cards saved from libraries in order to retrieve the original cards!Out of this entanglement of limited, naive, fanciful, mercantile, pseudo-historic, romantic, schizophrenic, conceited or mitigated interpretations, out of this superposition of dogmatisms and Systems, finally springs the TAROT OF MARSEILLES, an authentic monument, anonymous as is all sacred art...

Back