• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Amarillo Zoo Cryptid

I guess because if they weren't elusive, ie if the lighting was good, the image was crisp and in focus...we'd be able to see exactly what it is and there would be no mystery. And I think the 'carrying something' is what confuses our pareidolia and stops us seeing a normal human shape - because the balance and therefore stance is 'wrong' and our brain fails to match it to human.
And here's that photo I posted over on the 'Ilkley Moor' page, just a photo of a dog, yet at first glance it seems to be a man from the back -
I think it's also the angles at which these photos are taken, the legs could be going one way or the other, and the head can't be worked out, like a puzzle that doesn't fit.
1655145341057.png

And here's that photo I posted over on the 'Ilkley Moor' page, just a photo of a dog, yet at first glance it seems to be a man from the back -
I think it's also the angles at which these photos are taken, the legs could be going one way or the other, and the head can't be worked out, like a puzzle that doesn't fit.
View attachment 56154
Again going to prove that we see what we want, or expect, to see..

This is very "how many angels dance on the head of a pin" stuff. It's very doubtful the same circumstance will reoccur so we can confirm what it actually is. The point is lost that this really is "silly" stuff and not to be taken seriously. But, some other zoos have seen the ridiculous amount of attention it's getting and have jumped on the circus train.

'Mysterious Figure' posts continue popping up across Texas
https://www.audacy.com/krld/news/state/zoo-mysterious-figure-posts-popping-up-across-texas

sad face

This site isn't currently available in the EU​

This site isn't currently available in the EU

Just for the record ... It's a joke or satire ...

That webpage cites two other Texas zoos which have posted "mysterious figure" photos similar to the Amarillo pic on Instagram, but which are obviously featured animals at those two other zoos.

The San Antonio Zoo posted a pic of their well-known resident hippo ...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CetrvXX...d&ig_rid=242bf82d-04b3-48aa-8832-888327983849

The Fort Worth Zoo posted a pic of their new elephant ...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CewH_wa...d&ig_rid=d8d7af08-5f36-472a-8cd4-b2e09c23f5be

We had a discussion about this image a while ago.
My theory is that it's someone wearing a native American indian outfit.
I believe your correct 'Mythopoeika,' Appears to look like (suggest) an Apache Indian, wearing a Wolf-headdress, and possibly be carrying the smoking pipe?

I'm going to start calling these events where everyone wildly guesses about what an obscure, distorted object is "mass opinionation events". It seems to be an internet phenomenon that gets the attention of even mainstream news outlets. (We love distractions these days!)

First, why was it called a "cryptid"? (Not just here, but lots of places. It's not hidden, we have no information to be able to make any determination of whether it's a normal animal or a person.) People readily jump to mysterious conclusions without any thought about the situation. Unfortunately, I don't think they are at all interested in what it really is. They just want to have some fun speculating and making goofy comments. The sillier comments, the better.

I got a laugh out of the very serious discussion on Reddit about how it can't be a dogman because of the legs (not digitigrade) and then the subsequent discussions about what "real" dogman legs supposedly look like (because let's apply fake logic to a fantastical creature).

I have a game camera like this in my yard and I have gotten dozens of really weird, distorted animal pics. Do I assume they are a supernatural creature, or manifestations from another dimension? No. The blurring and lack of detail is a product of how the machine captures the image in low light. The speed is slow and any movement results in this distortion - that should be a primary consideration but it's hardly mentioned in the comments and news stories. Because, again, no one wants to really know what it is, especially the Amarillo zoo who is getting beaucoup publicity for this silly non-story.

Why assume it's even a person who deliberately dressed as a furry? That's a big assumption. It's far more likely to be a regular animal (like a jackrabbit) whose movement is blurred by the camera. Yet, here we all are, engrossed in wild-ass guessing. I think that's the bigger story here.
My suggestion is, that I'm starting to think that it's a person who intended to break in to the zoo for some reason, (stealing an animal?), obviously dressed in this disguise with a wolf's head and top half of body, carrying a pair of bolt cutters to cut through the fence - until he got caught out by the flash from the security camera?

Last edited:
Back