• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Calling Of The Porpoise

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I thought i'd spend a minute to share a nice Fortean tale I found a little while ago. The account is found in Arthur Grimble's A Pattern of Islands, an account of the years 1914-1920, which the author spent working as a member of the Colonial Service in the British dependancy of the Gilbert Islands (located in the Pacific, now Kiribati):

Old Kitiona 'Chief of Chiefs' has jokingly told a young Arthur that as importance and station is demonstrated through bodily size (he himself being pretty vast) Arthur's slight build is inappropriate for a white man. To rectify the problem the old man prescribes a rare delicacy: porpoise-flesh.
"It was common rummour in the Gilbert Islands that certain local clans had the power of porpoise-calling; but it was rather like the Indian rope-trick; you never met anyone who had actually witnessed the thing... "
"[Kitiona's] Cousin was a leading expert at the game; he could put himself into the right kind of dream on demand. His spirit went out of his body in such a dream; it sought out the porpoise-folk in their home under the western horizon and invited them to a dance, with feasting, in Kuma village..."
Arthur expresses an interest and so he and the chief's cousin agree upon a date in early january. Come the day he is instructed only to refer to the porpoises as 'our friends from the west' lest they reject the invitation. Having entered the hut the dreamer bids him to 'wait in peace - i go on my journey'.
"But the hot hours dragged by, and nothing happened. 4 O'clock passed. My faith was beginning to sag under the strain when a strangled howl burst from the dreamer's hut. I jumped round to see his cumberous body come hurtling head first through the torn screens. He sprawled on his face, struggled up, and staggered out into the open, a slobber of saliva shining on his chin. He stood awhile clawing at the air and whining on a queer high note like a puppy's. Then words came gulping out of him "Teirake! Teirake! (Arise! Arise!)...They come!...Our Friends from the west...They come!...Let us go down to the beach and greet them." He started at a lumbering gallop down the beach..."
The villagers run out into the breaking waves and stop in a line about fifty yards out.
"When i did at last see them, everyone was screaming hard...When they [porpoises]came to the edge of the blue water by the reef, they slackened speed, spread themselves out and started cruising back and forth in front of our line. Then, suddenly, there was no more of them."
"I was in the act of touching the dreamer's shoulder to take my leave when he turned to me: 'The King out of the west comes to meet me,' he murmered, pointing downwards. My eyes followed his hand. There, not ten yards away, was the great shape of a porpoise poised like a glimmering shadow in the glass-green water. Behind it followed a whole dusky flotilla of them. They were moving towards us in extended order with spaces of two or three yards between them, as far as my eye could reach. So slowly they came, they seemed to be hung in a trance. Their leader drifted in hard by the dreamer's legs. He turned without a word to walk beside it as it idled towards the shallows. I followed a foot or two behind its almost motionless tail. I saw other groups to right and left of us turn shorewards one by one, arms lifted, faces bent upon the water..."
"The villagers were welcoming their guests ashore with crooning words. Only men walking beside them; the women and children followed in their wake, clapping their hands softly in the rhythm of a dance. As we approached the emerald shallows, the keels of the creatures began to take the sand; they flapped gently as if asking for help. The men leaned down to throw their arms around the great barrels and ease them over the ridges. They showed no least sign of alarm. It was as if their single wish was to get to the beach."
"When the water stood only thigh deep, the dreamer flung his arms high and called...'Lift!' shouted the dreamer, and the ponderous black shapes were half-dragged, half-carried, unresisting, to the lip of the tide. There they settled down, those beautiful, dignified shapes, utterly at peace, while all hell broke loose around them. Men, Women and children, leaping and posturing with shrieks that tore the sky, stripped off their garlands and flung them around the still bodies, in a sudden dreadful fury of boastfullness and derision. My mind still shrinks from that last scene - the raving humans, the beasts so triumphantly at rest..."
The porpoises are killed with knives.
"There was feasting and dancing in Kuma that night. A chief's portion of the meat was set aside for me. I was expected to have it cured as a diet for my thinness. It was duly salted, but i could not bring myself to eat it. I never did grow fat in the Gilber Islands."

A nice little tale in a book brimming with micro-Forteana.

For those of a scholarly bent: Arthur Grimble, A Pattern of Islands, London: John Murray, 1954. pp.172-176.

I'm not sure I'd call it a "nice little tale", but really interesting bit of ethnography, that's for sure. For a more recent story (published in '96, I think) of porpoise calling in Kiribati (aka Gilbert Is.) you can read Eating Out in Butaritari by award-winning travel journalist Cleo Paskal here

The embedded link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20021116023849/http://www.cleopaskal.com/article.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Colin Wilson discusses this excerpt in his book 'The Occult'.

lopaka said:
I'm not sure I'd call it a "nice little tale"...

Ok, I meant nice in form (i.e. it was nicely told) as opposed to it being nice in content - it's quite distasteful really.

Also, Lopaka, the respects in which the accounts of the ritual differ are very interesting: sex of the dreamer/caller, exchange of life for power, conditions under which power is employed (for power or hunger). If i were to put on my student's hat, I'd put many such differences down to the cultural differences in authorship - the more modern tale betraying the stains of animal conservation and sexual equality; the former displaying the indelible colours of perceived racial superiority.

Very astute observations, The Yithian. Essentially the same story, but one written by a man from a very Edwardian background trying to preserve bits of a vanishing culture. The other by a female of the late 20th/early 21st century aimed at a popular (if literate) audience. The differences you cited are instructive.

I'm not sure I'd call it a "nice little tale", but really interesting bit of ethnography, that's for sure. For a more recent story (published in '96, I think) of porpoise calling in Kiribati (aka Gilbert Is.) you can read Eating Out in Butaritari by award-winning travel journalist Cleo Paskal here
The embedded link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20021116023849/http://www.cleopaskal.com/article.html

Here is the story told to Cleo Paskal, excerpted from the salvaged article ...

... The dolphins and the humans lived in separate but equal worlds. The dolphins kept watch over the sea and the humans oversaw the land. There was mutual respect and liking but they rarely saw each other socially. In fact, there were only two families on Butaritari who had the knowledge to Call The Dolphins.

Calling the dolphins was difficult and dangerous and only undertaken in times of hunger. When the Caller was asleep, she (or he) guided her dreams towards the land of the dolphins. There, unhindered by physical considerations like incompatible vocal chords, she could speak to them directly.

The Caller of dolphins was invariably well received. The dolphins loved company. Once introductory pleasantries were over, the Caller stated the real reason for the visit. "I have been sent to invite the dolphins to a dance in our lagoon. Can you come?"
That always thrilled the dolphins. "Oh Yes! Yes, of course, we would be happy to come!" Invitation delivered and accepted, the Caller then politely excused herself and quietly faded back into consciousness.

The next day, just before high tide, the whole village went down to the lagoon and watch the sea channel expectantly. Soon the dolphins started to arrive. The teenagers and young adults of the village took off their clothes and hung them on trees. Then they dove into the lagoon and paired off with the dolphins. The humans murmured sweet nothings while gently holding onto their hosts.

72underwaterdolphin.gif
As parents and siblings watched from the shore, singing and dancing encouragingly, the human/dolphin couples frolicked in the crystal aquamarine waters. Occasionally, a mischievously adventurous pair even went out into the darker blue waters of the open sea, returning only hours later.
Eventually, the tide faltered and the time came to end the dance. The dolphins knew what to do next. One by one, they beached themselves, always in the same spot and always facing the same direction. The swimmers quietly got their clothes from the trees and stood watching. Emotions crackled in the air. Sorrow, pain, gratitude, love and, darting about like an embarrassed streaker, hunger.

Some of the stronger men picked up the hatchets that had been lying on the cool grass since the morning and, caressing the lean and still wet dolphins with one hand, hacked them to death with the other. As soon as they beached, they were butchered. The meat was quickly and equitably distributed all throughout the island.

Every one got a piece. Everyone except the Caller of dolphins. She had known the dolphins as friends, she had spoken with them. It was unacceptable for her to eat them.

She also paid another price. The Caller of the dolphins always died young and, when she died, she was not buried on the island. Just off the coast of Butaritari there was a dark blot on the otherwise turquoise ocean, a bottomless hole in the sea floor that people believed led down into the home of the dolphins. The body of the Caller was brought to this spot and placed in the water. Other bodies would have just floated away, but hers sunk, down, down, reuniting her again and forever with the dolphins, who were always happy to have company.

That sacrifice, dying young, forever being separated from her family, the Caller of the dolphins was willing to make for the honour of being able to provide food for her hungry Island. ...

Im trying to recall where I read something similar.

Was it about the Irwaddy dolphin which is easily tamed?

Back