• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dorothy Izatt Case: The Vancouver Lights

skinny

Nigh
The video blurb:
This docuimentary examines a series of strange lights have been described and reported in the night sky near the home of Vancouver housewife Dorothy Izatt. Dorothy first reported seeing the lights on the evening of November 9, 1974. However the focus of the investigation quickly shifted to Dorothy herself and her incredible ability to capture the phenomena. Aired in 2008.

Edit: Updating the dead video.

See later post for alternative version of the video.

What do you know about this case?
What do you think?

I was initially intrigued by the flashes. Then I applied the critical process and it doesn't hold water.
First and most fundamentally, the frames can be doctored. We know any visual media can be manipulated. I reckon this 8mm was edited together and enhanced, maybe not by her, but by someone. The rest of the video is anecdotal and so doesn't pass muster. The heavy reliance on cardboard stats is also a significant weakener - eg, 60% of people believe (so what? What people?); I have 36,000 feet of film (or 25,000 feet reported on Unexplained Mysteries. So what?)

She was a sweet old lady attesting to faith in a christian god. She was the matriarch of a large and loyal family who adore her. For me that doesn't in any way strengthen her credibility. I think she is sincere about initially seeing and filming lights, but from there her conclusions are founded on a long string of dramatic and emotive opinionss and leaps of logic. There's no alternative possible explanation proffered that isn't immediately swept aside by her, her friends and family in favour of personal belief and unsubstantiated opinion. She's my mom, so I'm convinced that her response is all the facts I need. It's pretty much all an appeal to credulity, even revealing a vested interest by those who have attached to her for book sales and slide tour profits.

If I were still teaching critical thinking, this would make for a good lesson on logical fallacies. So much to analyse.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW ... This online article describes a set of incidents in which lights / orbs were sighted by boys in 1996 in Richmond BC (a constituent town within the metro Vancouver complex). It concludes with mentioning that 2 of the sighting locations were places where Dorothy Izatt had lived.

Now, Just Watch the Birdies
Graham Conway
http://www.ufobc.ca/Reports/birdies.htm

This article was cited in a 2004 thread discussing a member's own similar sighting:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/circling-orbs-over-a-sportsfield.18034/

Last edited:
I've been searching through Canadian Fighter Crafts. Some look similar but I'm not too sure which one. I'm also trying to imagine what they and their exhausts and chem trails look at night. One of the pictures looked like Angel Hair. But it does look like a fighter from the O O O O shape in the chem trail in some of the pictures I've seen on other websites. Fast and maneuverable. ;)

Reminds one of the Egryn Lights during the Welsh Revival:
https://jack-hunter.webstarts.com/blog/post/the-egryn-lights
http://inamidst.com/lights/egryn
Kind of like mediumistic phenomena, but outdoors.
41913172-1953941537977268-5683070747195473920-n-w603-o.jpg

Now I've seen the other pictures with the people and other pics swirly lights i used to make pictures like this when I lived in Chiswick. I was trying to make some unique photos with street lamps, car lights going past viewed through frosted and damp windows. If I had carried on with tat style of photo art i probably would of captured people through the windows. There's also an astronomer camera trick where they set their camera open on stars of moving things like traffic for a while then close it and have swirly picture.

Also I'm thinking the air craft looking pics are actually Russian.

Reminds one of the Egryn Lights during the Welsh Revival:

Thanks for those links. I am fascinated by everything about the Welsh Revivals, having lived for several years in Bethesda - where there was a chapel for every hundred-or-so inhabitants, or so it seemed.

It does seem as if plasmas or earth-light activity helped to promote the ministry of Mary Jones. Once you are up in those slate-zones, anything seems possible, however! :)

Thanks for those links. I am fascinated by everything about the Welsh Revivals, having lived for several years in Bethesda - where there was a chapel for every hundred-or-so inhabitants, or so it seemed.

It does seem as if plasmas or earth-light activity helped to promote the ministry of Mary Jones. Once you are up in those slate-zones, anything seems possible, however! :)
I think you are right about the plasmas / earthlights. :)

I been trying to get some pictures, I've just done, getting similar effects as some of Dorothy pictures. But they won't load.

Very interesting video....so if it's not a genuine 'paranormal phenomenon' then how is she or others doing it?
:confused:

Back