• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The eagle and the dragon

A

Anonymous

I read on another message board that there was a prophecy of (possibly) Nostradamus that World War III would be fought by the US and Russia (on the same side) against China. (although it could have been another self-proclaimed prophet).

This stirred up a vague memory of a legend about a battle between an eagle and a dragon being a sign of the end of the world. Unfortunately I cant remember the source of this legend (I had vaguely thought it was Celtic or Arthurian) but as rather obviously eagle = USA and dragon = China could this have been the same "prophecy"? It sounds like the sort of thing Nostradamus would have written - cryptic and possibly not meaning anything, but easy to draw possibly spurious conclusions from based on "modern" interpretations of the symbolism.

Does anyone know what the quote from Nostradamus (if real) is, or if there is another origin of the "eagle and the dragon" legend and any further details/interpretations?

From http://www.bible-prophecy.com/plus.htm

Sagittarius, the Bowman, is the figure of a horse with the body, arms, and head of a man. This is the centaur, a creature that never existed as a mere animal, but would be an interesting depiction of the God-man with two natures. His bow is drawn, and the arrow is pointed at the scorpion. These images continue the thought of the struggle between good and evil from the former sign, and seem to assure us of the sure triumph of the Savior. The three Decans of this sign are Lyra, Ara, and Draco. Lyra, the heaven-bound eagle holds a lyre, symbolic of the song of victory. Ara, the Altar faces downward, presumably burning with the fires of punishment. Draco, the Dragon symbolizes Satan in the throes of defeat, winding himself about the North Pole.

I remember reading about the Prophercies of Merlin about 15 years ago...The book mentioned a battle between a 'red Dragon' and a 'white Dragon', amongst other symbols. I think the Prophecies are contained within Geoffrey of Monmouth's 'History of the British Kings', written in the twelfth century(?). Which would be about three centuries before Nostradamus...

(I vaguely remember that they also predicted such things as North Sea oil, quartz technology and the Industrial Revolution...)

Could this be your 'Celtic or Arthurian' connection?

Back