• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The End

What will finally 'do in' the human race?

• Nuclear Armageddon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Biological warfare

• Meteor strike

• Naturally occurring disease pandemic

• Alien invasion

• Magnetic pole shift

• Effects of pollution, environmental damage or climate change

• The Second Coming

• Sun goes Red Giant

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Evolutionary dead end

• Wiped out by robots/AI

• Genetic tinkering (GM superhybrids/etc)

• Total voters
Flood Basalt

Edit : (thought I better add something to that)

The greatest mass extiniction in history was at the Permain boundary this is thought to have been caused by massive flood basalt extrustion, imagine most of a continent spewing lava at an amazing rate for 100's of years decades at a time.

In fact theres more evidence to support a flood basalt been the main reason behind the dino extininction at the K/T boundary than a metor however a combination of the two is most likely, the Iriduim layer found at the K/T boundary (indicating a metor impact) is found in the mddle of Flood Basalt extrustions in the Dakan Province of India, so it's likely the Dino's were been wiped out by the basalt, the metor kinda helped them along and anything left was wiped out by more flood basalt extrustions.

I could go in to more details but im tired :), however if you want just ask.

Hi all, :) , I haven't had time to read all this thread so please forgive if I reiterate...

I voted gm cuz that's closest to what I choose. Humans will wipe themselves out through their own lack of foresight/greed/powerhunger/ect.
Humans are so full of self importance that we belive that when we go, the whole universe will too! Well, the dinosaurs were wiped out and the Earth and Universe are still here....On that note I've always had a burning curiosity as to what the next dominant species will look like? How much evidence of us will be left? And what picture will thery build of our lives? It could be hillarious! :)

Don't know how it will happen or when.
Don't know what the next dominant (if any) species will be, that's the joy of evolution.

It's the uncertainty that makes life fun.

Maybe our species will eventually sublime and leave the stage free for the next act.

Or we may be wiped out by a plague contracted from a dirty telephone.

The thing is as creatures we are resilient little buggers and there really are quite a few of us. With this in mind, I just can't imagine humanity, as a race, being entirely wiped out. The meteor strike is supremely unlikely to happen but the most likely to wipe us all out if it happens - so that's my choice.

If 'the end' doesn't happen before we colonise worlds beyond this solar system, nothing will kill us all of until the end of the universe - if that ever arrives. :)

As for the sun going red giant, we know that won't happen for billions of years, but a nearby star going supernova could irradiate us all, and I guess we wouldn't have much warning?

Well those 1980's infomercials said 'Don't die if ignorance', but I always figured if that was true then we'd have no Sun readers left.

I don't recall the source, vaguely recall hearing a theory a few years back that claimed that there are several streams of intense radiation radiating out from the galactic core, and that eventually our solar system will pass through one of them.

Ooh, Sir, Sir, I've got another one, Sir! What if some quark-chasing physicist type plays with his superconducter and manufactures a black hole into which we are all sucked?:eek:

And how do you all know that the world hasn't ended already and "owd Nick" is just breaking us all in gently. It would explain why all my mates always seen so damn miserable, or is that me (you don't have to answer that one)
Incidentally, although it's only seen as a very remote possibility CERN are taking the black hole scenario seriously enough to have formed a committy to look into it.

Re: Re: Re: Ways The World Will End (WTWWE)

whizzer said:
I wish I could get my hands on some of that Mayan baccie!

Hello, I am an American who is appalled at our current U.S. government. It is reminiscent to the fall of Rome. A great nation made up of many nations. An original spin off of the U.K. I would like to think of America, as being the U.K.'s children for many still are just that in my country. I myself am of Scotch-Irish and English descent.I have a father,grandfathers,brothers and other relatives who have fought and died for this country. A country, I believe that has the potential to do much good in the world... however,as currently seen: Power in the wrong hands lead to corruption. And corruption is running rampant right under the noses of many in my country. Arrogance and ignorance are running hand in hand. I believe the forefathers would turn over in their graves,and God himself is frowning upon us as a nation right now.
Regardless,timeless truths have been set into place for our nations destruction, unless we can turn this nation around, and prosecution of the corrupters,and the factual truths are brought out into the open for all to see,otherwise I believe America is doomed.
I believe America is "Babylon the Great" spoken about in Revelations Chapter 18...of the Christian Bible. The whore riding on the scarlet beast was Rome...that was... but is not yet and is to be. The candle within is possibly the Statue of Liberty,that is never to be seen in her anymore,as written. I have always said,
America is a whore... Biblically a harlot... Merchants from afar will look in horror as she burns, Revelations, refers. A land of many waters??? Doesn't that sound like America??
Chapters prior to Chapter 18, and after, also speak in the same referrence to and of "Babylon the Great". Someway she is to burn. Burn with fire. Never to rise again, because the land will forever be laid waste. It has been prophesied,that while America is focused on the center of the country (such as Colorado) The backs of the citizens will be turned away from the true threat that is to come. Our military will be away in some far off land,while our borders are not protected. And unexpectedly,the destruction to America will then come. As the other nations watch in horror. Merchants in ships will look upon her and watch her burning from afar in grief...never to be able to trade with her again.
I am not sure from what source the destruction will be... This could be nuclear,a comet,meteor, etc.
I will say this: judging from the archealogical finds in many parts of our World as we know it... We are missing a large part of our worlds history... I am afraid we are doomed to repeat it. How much of what is today...could or would survive?? In 10,000 years from now, what will survive as proof of our existence, if mankind should continue? Stone is all. That would again, be just one piece of the whole picture.
Unless we try to live in peace and work with one another for the betterment of all... many if not all within the world shall be lost.

:glum: :glum: :glum: :glum: :glum:

Back