• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Flying Man

MrRING

Android Futureman
Does anybody else remember a story (and I think it's a well-known fortean tale) of a man who was able to float in his house and even fly outside for short amounts of time? I want to say the phenomenon occured in the 1830's or there about, and he would show various friends what he was able to do.

It seems interesting, but I've never read a challenge to it and don't know if it's "debunked", if people just flatly refuse to believe it could have happened, or if perhaps it is considered real by fortean scholars.

I think I also remember a Buddhest friend who said that yogis were reportedly able to fly, but I don't know if that is more legend than currently-believed thought.

Could it be Daniel Douglas Home? Would fit with the 19thC time period you are thinking of.

Wasn't very well liked by Dickens and I think he was an inspiration for Browning's poem 'Mr Sludge the Medium'. He was well known for his 'levitation' during seances. On one occasion to prove his powers to a friend, he 'floated' out of a window from an upper floor of a building.

Edit- Hopefully this link should work. Got a bit more info on DDH (although I thought he was Scottish, this says he was an "Englishman")

I think that was the guy, thanks! Found two other links for him:

http://www.prairieghosts.com/ddhome.html

http://antigravitypower.tripod.com/BioGravity/DDHome.html

from the first site:
In December 1868, his most famous feat took place at the home of Lord Adare. During the evening, Home reportedly went into a trance and floated out the window of the third floor, then floated back in another window - all before the eyes of a number of stunned witnesses. The event occurred in front of three irreproachable members of London’s high society, Lord Adare, his cousin Captain Charles Wynne and the Master of Lindsay.

Skeptics contend the event was a mass hallucination or was somehow accomplished through trickery. They base this on the fact that there are slight discrepancies in the accounts of Adare and Lindsay, mostly concerning the size of the windows that Home floated out of and how high they were off the ground and whether or not the night outside was dark or moonlit. The debunkers ignore the statement of Captain Wynne, which was simple and straightforward. “The fact of Mr. Home having gone out of one window and in at another I can swear to,” he wrote. “Anyone who knows me would not for a moment say I was a victim of a hallucination or any other humbug of the kind.”

It should again be noted that during Home’s entire spectacular career, he was never seriously accused of fraud (all of those accusations have come much later) and he was never caught cheating, as so many of the mediums of the day were. It is also worth noting that this feat, like his other levitation, was accomplished in the home of someone that he was visiting for the first time and was among people of limited acquaintance. Any opportunity that he had to rig up elaborate machinery or engage the services of an accomplice to do so was nonexistent. There is no evidence to say that he ever resorted to such tricks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read a supposedly true story in one of those Peter Haining books years ago about a man who became weightless overnight, and had to wear heavy boots to keep him earthbound. The end of the story has him disappearing from his bedroom one night, which had the window open at the time - did he float away?! Anyone remember this? It sounds pretty unlikely.

I assume there must be some quirk of science that makes it impossible to build a machine capable of mimicking flying for humans, in the same way that it is explained why you couldn't have a spider bigger than a dog due to the complexities of their respiratory system (?).

Just wondering why no kind of wing suit could be made that would allow a human to jump in the air and flap in order to take off. When you look at some of the more pathetic looking pigeons knocking about the place it is quite amazing that such dumpy looking balls of feather and flesh can produce the power needed to be able to jump off the ground and then propel themselves with enough force to lift off and fly away.

I assume the power needed from human arms (aided by manmade wings in the same proportion to the body as seen in birds) is woefully beyond the abilities of even the most muscular men, or that the size of the wings would be so large as to make the lifting of them impossible.

I assume the power needed from human arms (aided by manmade wings in the same proportion to the body as seen in birds) is woefully beyond the abilities of even the most muscular men, or that the size of the wings would be so large as to make the lifting of them impossible.

I read that it was all in the chest muscles, so that would be why birds have large breasts and relatively puny wings(arms).
Yes I did read that. This is not an excuse to start a punning innuendo free for all.

. When you look at some of the more pathetic looking pigeons knocking about the place it is quite amazing that such dumpy looking balls of feather and flesh can produce the power needed to be able to jump off the ground and then propel themselves with enough force to lift off and fly away.
Those dumpy looking pigeons are mostly muscle to drive the wings, I've driven alongside a wood-pigeon in level flight at 45mph and it didn't look to be straining.

I read that it was all in the chest muscles, so that would be why birds have large breasts and relatively puny wings(arms).
Yes I did read that. This is not an excuse to start a punning innuendo free for all.

I guess that makes good sense. So, to go back to making a flying suit, I assume it would have to be so heavy on the chest plate to contain a mechanism powerful enough to propel the wings that it would be too heavy to take off, or too heavy for a regular human to wear?

I guess that makes good sense. So, to go back to making a flying suit, I assume it would have to be so heavy on the chest plate to contain a mechanism powerful enough to propel the wings that it would be too heavy to take off, or too heavy for a regular human to wear?
You would think with the lightweight materials we have today that something could be cobbled together, but I'm no engineer so I can't really say.
But why would it have to be centered on the chest area? It wouldn't have to be exactly like a bird's flight. I think, or am guessing, that the most powerful 'thrust' (for want of a better word) that the human body could achieve would be from a full body lunge, using the legs as well as the torso muscles. So what about something that looks more like a rowing machine than that thing from 'Brazil'?
Like I say, I'm not an engineer.

I wonder how Icarus and his father took off.

A flying suit? Vid at link.

This isn't actually a real Iron Man suit. But it does fly. It's a flying suit made by Gravity Industries, a young British startup that builds what they call 'jet suits.' The system uses six kerosene-powered jet thrusters to let a human fly around. Honestly, it just looks cool.

This tweet states that it takes 1,000 horsepower to fly—how about an estimation to check this number?

The Physics of Flight
Let's start off with some fundamental physics. How does this jet suit fly? I'm going to say it's all about the momentum principle. This says that the net force on an object changes its momentum where momentum is the product of mass and velocity. Here is the equation form of this idea.

momentumpricple.png

https://www.wired.com/story/how-muc...?mbid=nl_080718_daily_list3_p1&CNDID=38161694

... Edit- Hopefully this link should work. Got a bit more info on DDH (although I thought he was Scottish, this says he was an "Englishman")

The link cited:

http://http//www.survivalafterdeath.org/books/fodor/chapter15.htm

... is long dead, and apparently so is the website.

This link led to a transcription of Chapter 15 from:

Nandor Fodor
These Mysterious People
Publisher: Rider & Co., 1934

An archived version of the Chapter 15 webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2004051...alafterdeath.org:80/books/fodor/chapter15.htm

Home's most famous levitation incident is summarized in Chapter 1 of the Fodor book rather than Chapter 15. Here's the relevant text from Chapter 1:

Man in the Air

In 1886, in the St. Germain Cemetery in Paris, they laid to rest a Scotsman who was one of the most remarkable men of the last century. His name was Daniel Dunglas Home.

His father was said to be a natural son of an earl. If the story is true the flighty earl was not a patch on his grandson. For, according to no less distinguished a witness than Sir William Crookes, "there are at least a hundred instances of Mr. Home's rising from the ground, in the presence of as many separate persons; and I have heard from the lips of three witnesses to the most striking occurrence of this kind - the Earl of Dunraven, Lord Lindsay and Captain C. Wynne - their most intimate accounts of what took place.

"To reject the recorded testimony on this subject is to reject all human testimony whatever, for no fact, in sacred or profane history, is supported by a stronger array of proof."

The astonishing occurrence took place on December 13th, 1868, at Ashley House, Victoria Street, London. In a state of trance Home floated out of a third-story window and came in through the window of another room.

The three witnesses heard Home go into the next room, heard the window thrown up, and presently Home appeared standing upright outside their own window. He opened the window and walked in quite coolly.

Lord Adare, later ford Dunraven, went into the other room to shut the window, and found that it was not raised a foot. He could not think how Home managed to squeeze through.

Home told him, "Come and see."

"I went with him," Lord Adare writes. "He told me to open the window as it was before. I did so. He told me to stand a little distance off.

"He then went through the open space head first, quite rapidly, his body being nearly horizontal and apparently rigid.

"He came in again, feet foremost, and we returned to the other room.

"It was so dark I could not see clearly how he was supported outside.

"He did not appear to grasp or rest upon the balustrade, but rather to be swung out and in."

A truly remarkable incident, well worthy of the violent controversy which arose over it in later years.

To Lord Lindsay we owe two accounts. One in 1869, another in 1871.

In the latter he speaks of the moon shining into the room. This was a serious discrepancy, as a nautical almanack disclosed a new moon on the date in question. The moon, therefore, could not have lighted the room.

But Lord Adare's almost 'contemporary account and Lord Lindsay's first version do not mention the moon. Which was correct?

Dr. W. B. Carpenter, vice-president of the Royal Society, intimated that Captain Wynne never testified to having seen Home float out of the room. He must have been discomfited by Captain Wynne's answer to a letter to Home:

"The fact of your having gone out of the window and in at the other I can swear to."

Other writers attacked the testimonies on the grounds of poor visibility. But Andrew Lang was to the point in remarking that people in a room can see even in a fog a man coming in by the window, and go out again, head first, with body rigid.

The account of this levitation is too remarkable and too well attested to be treated lightly. It essentially differs from Dr. Cannon's feat, as Home had no conscious recollection of what had taken place.

We find this the case in nearly all mediumistic levitations and in all cases of aerial journeys.

SOURCE: https://web.archive.org/web/20040510180732/http://survivalafterdeath.org:80/books/fodor/chapter1.htm

Back