• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Giant Fleece Of The Un-Shorn Shrek The Sheep

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Check the link for a good picture.

NZ's famous sheep gets TV haircut

A renegade New Zealand sheep that managed to evade the shearers for six years has finally had a haircut.
Shrek, the Merino sheep, was shorn live on national television by top shearers David Fagan and Peter Casserley.

The 10-year-old sheep had managed to roam freely on New Zealand's South Island for more than six years before being finally rounded up.

Shrek's giant fleece - possibly the largest ever - is to be auctioned off for children's medical charities.

Shrek went under the shearer's blade during a live half-hour news programme on TV New Zealand.

Correspondents said the contrast between the gigantic woolly mammal that entered the studio and the much leaner version that left could not have been greater.

'Biblical creature'

Bendigo hill station owner John Perriam told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that Shrek had managed to evade capture for six years by hiding in a cave.

"We didn't know he was there," he said, adding that when he was finally spotted they did not immediately recognise him as a sheep.

"He looked like some biblical creature."

Mr Perriam said Shrek was shorn with scissors to ensure a thin layer of wool was left in place to protect him from the oncoming winter.

The 27kg (60lb) fleece - enough to make 20 large men's suits - is to be auctioned off over the internet.

It is unclear what the future now holds for Shrek himself though, says the BBC's Phil Mercer in Sydney.

He is too old to be sold for mutton, but a new career in marketing may now lie ahead - promoting New Zealand's lucrative trade in wool. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3665735.stm

It's about 1 hours drive down the road from our house and i'd love to see it but unfortunately due to shifts i spend most of day sleeping and catching mesel' up
it's a queer looking beastie.....

The 10-year-old sheep had managed to roam freely on New Zeal

How did they know it was ten years old and had been in the cave for six? Sounds like a shaggy sheep story to me - but damn good publicity!:D

Back