• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Guardian: Alan Godfrey Case & More

Bad news. I don't have any trust in Hollywood to stick to the original narrative, so expect something widely exaggerated with the claim that it is 'based on a true story'. They will probably set in in America, too.
Reminds me of The Comic Strip's Strike, starring Peter Richardson as Al Pacino as Arthur Scargill, and Jennifer Saunders as Meryl Streep as Mrs Scargill. :chuckle:

Bad news. I don't have any trust in Hollywood to stick to the original narrative, so expect something widely exaggerated with the claim that it is 'based on a true story'. They will probably set in in America, too.
Should of been a British Production Company.
Movie on the book The Janos People by Frank Johnson would be good.

There will no doubt be some contrived back story, a tragic tale of abusive relatives, some deep dark mystery that's never really spelled out, and of course a tale of unrequited love. Oh, and something or other to use as an excuse for a few horrible flashbacks that don't seem related to anything else in the story. Okay, yeah I've seen it. Never mind.

Last edited:
And a car chase. Cripes, how could I forget the car chase?

There will no doubt be some contrived back story, a tragic tale of abusive relatives, some deep dark mystery that's never really spelled out, and of course a tale of unrequited love. Oh, and something or other to use as and excuse for a few horrible flashbacks that don't seem related to anything else in the story. Okay, yeah I've seen it. Never mind.
And lots of CGI

They (the aliens) have to start somewhere! I'm sure they've simply made it through all the Aarons in the phone book, and were moving onto Adamskis.

They must be into the B's now, so I'll be in the cellar with my tinfoil hat.

They (the aliens) have to start somewhere! I'm sure they've simply made it through all the Aarons in the phone book, and were moving onto Adamskis.

They must be into the B's now, so I'll be in the cellar with my tinfoil hat.
Gulp!

It might go the way of the Rendlesham UFO TV show, which hasn't been heard of recently.

:) The Adamski found dead on the Yorkshire coal pit will become the 'contactee' Adamski from the United States
Well, how very Fortean...

On the 'Kenneth Arnold', thread, I have only just mentioned:

"There are considerably lengthy and hugely insightful discussions between Bruce Maccabee, Brad Sparks and myself, plus other contributions, regarding this IUR cover sketch, during discussions on the 'UFO Research List' (UFORL)

I had quite forgotten how detailed these were at the time, just over 20 years ago now.

There's no easy way of extracting these from other topics ongoing at the same time (some of which are equally fascinating in hindsight!)".

Cue my old UFORL forum's discussions concerning this very case. There is some fabulous insight from Jenny Randles.

As further explained on the Arnold thread:

"Therefore, I have attempted to reformat the entire 2000 archive as best possible, using Microsoft Word to create one, large readable file.

It's not perfect, however, the content is all legible.

The file size is almost 8Mb and there are just over 4000 pages:

www.forteanmedia.com/UFORL_2000.pdf

Naturally, simply search for 'godfrey' as the starting point.

Jenny begins:

"Well, I was involved in this case virtually from the start. I have met Alan often. In fact I spoke to him only a couple of weeks ago". :)

Jenny Randles found out about this case from her local contacts in the community. I suspect this case was the impetus that propelled Randles into UFOlogy.
From this thread a few years ago;
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/jenny-randles.22072/post-1829329
When I wrote The Pennine UFO Mystery with Alan in 1983 we knew about most of the things that happened. Partly because his sergeant was married to my cousin who had been my childhood babysitter when I lived locally. She had put me onto the case quickly as her husband was appalled by the way he was being hounded out. I heard the tapes of all the sessions secretly recorded (described in the book) when they happened but could not talk about them in Pennine as he was still in the force and they were well aware that he and I were writing that book. Indeed they were 'listening in' as we wrote the book.

If there really is a Godfrey film, then I really, really hope they include the UFO's fitted carpet and the dog (creditably, Godfrey has been fairly honest about the doubtful nature of some of the things that came up under hypnosis).

And a car chase. Cripes, how could I forget the car chase

On the subject of car chases, Martin Kottmeyer has pointed out that rather a lot of cases include them (despite the fact that cars "chasing vessels with the implicit ability to achieve escape velocity from Earth itself has to be viewed as pure farce"). He finds the following highly dramatic vehicle-related motifs inufological literature:

saucer chases car; saucer bumps car; car controlled by alien force; saucer forces car out of control; vehicle becomes airborne; car lifted up on two wheels; car made to do 180ø turn; car teleported; saucer crashes into car; police chase saucer; saucer chases ambulance; saucer chases train, plane, hitchhiker, snowmobile; saucer fires at car; man jumps from car before crashing into building; saucer blocks road; saucer plays chicken with plane; saucer rescues ‘copter; saucer swallows plane; saucer blows up plane; and plane disappears after reporting trouble involving saucer

This seems to suggest that the UFO experience itself, whatever that is, and film are actually pretty closely related - so bring on the car chases I say.

I like this theory. It would very neatly explain why we never see Otis the Aardvark anymore.

Btw, were either of those Adamskis related to this guy, cos I haven't seen him for a long time either.....

20220404_152113.jpg

One for the (a-hem) over-40s there.

Godfrey's obvious sincerity, alongside the many High Strangeness details of his abduction experience, is a real challenge to anyone looking to the ETH as a straightforward explanation for the abduction phenomenon.

I once read an extremely plausible explanation of Adamski's death but can't now remember where, or indeed what the explanation was!

I am intrigued by the Godfrey case too, but recently Godfrey told the Huddersfield Examiner that the abduction was probably a dream.
The respected policeman made a sketch of the UFO and later, under hypnosis, told a story about being taken aboard the UFO and given a physical examination by two non-human entities. The policeman’s UFO story made headlines around the world.
Mr Godfrey, now 70, told the Examiner that the story he told under hypnosis was probably merely a dream, adding: “I never said I was abducted by aliens.”
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news...unsolved-baffling-case-missing-miner-14150127

Very strange as he has got older he said it might of been a dream but I always thought the UFO he saw also looked like the Matti Suuronen’s Spaceship House ?

I think he said the UFO sighting was real but the abduction may have been a dream, he's always been refreshingly honest about the dubious nature of the hypnotic regression, despite his obvious distress under hypnosis. The thing is that if Godfrey's 'abduction' turns out to have been a fantasy even in his own judgement, where does that leave other, perhaps less creatively imagined, abduction experiences?

The UFO sighting itself has been suggested to be related to the 'spaceship house', or perhaps a catastrophic misperception of a bus. Personally I think without the abduction element it's a little like the Val Johnson incident of roughly the same period - a police officer seeing a light in front of their vehicle followed by a period of confusion or a brief blackout.

One possibly important point is that Godfrey experienced an incident in the 60s where he saw a classic 'road ghost' - an apparent woman with a large dog who stepped in front of his car and vanished.

You can either take this as evidence that Godfrey was followed by Fortean events especially those featuring dogs - or perhaps that he was especially prone to the mildly hypnotic state induced by driving at night.

I once read an extremely plausible explanation of Adamski's death but can't now remember where, or indeed what the explanation was!

Hold on - having done a bit of Googling I think I might be recalling the article by two BUFORA researchers who concluded he had probably been held hostage for several days by a family member following an argument.

Back