• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Music Box

TheBeast17

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
My mum told me this on Sunday night (14 Sept), and her cousin Sean told her the story the week before. And I thought I'd share it with you.

Sean's boyfriend's mum had a bad fall in the street and badly broke her arm and shoulder. She was taken to hospital, and it took a while to fix her up.

Sean's boyfriend, Adam, had popped up to see his mum in hospital everyday, as they had to keep her in for observation as the break had not been clean. She asked Adam if he would bring her in a few items from home, which he said he would.

That night, Adam, his sister and Sean went round to their mums house to fetch the things she had asked for. Adam went into his mums room to collect a few bits, and as he shut the door behind him a music box on his mums dressing table started to play. Now he recognised the music, as his mum had been given the box by his dad on their first anniversary and it was her favourite tune, but the music box had been broken for over 10years.

He left the room quickly and when the other two saw him he looked shaken and uneasy. He told them that something creepy just happened, but before he could explain, his sister exclaimed that she had no time for this as she had to get back for an appointment she had. Adam said that he wouldn't go back in to his mums room, so his sister said she would.

The same thing happened to her. The music box started playing as she went in the room. She came out a few minutes later, slightly excited, as she found the experience intriguing rather than creepy.

She explains this to Sean and Adam. Sean is completely freaked out by the incident as he hoped he was just hearing things, and Sean said that he would investigate. He went into the room, but nothing happened. No music, nothing.

When they went back to the hospital the next day, Adams mum looks quite poorly, and says to Adam that this is it, she's dying. Adam tells his mum not to be daft, that it was only a broken arm, and she probably felt worse because of the hosiptal cuisine.

His mum told him that she was sure this was the end, as she had been dreaming of her husband, Adams dad, who had been dead for quite some time, and he was dancing to their tune......

...which was the tune from the music box.

She died from complications a couple of days later.

The oddest thing about this story is that a few months later, Sean took the music box to an antique place near where they live to ask if they could restore it. The man who owned the shop said that it would cost a lot to restore the item as it was quite damaged. Sean asked him if it was possible for the box to play music, and the man said that the box couldn't play as an essential part of it was seized up completely.

Now, you'll have to forgive my storytelling skills, they leave a lot to be desired. The event described, happened this year between February and March.

Adam is extremely skeptical about all things paranormal and was quite shaken by what happened. His sister, is into all sorts of Fortean stuff; crystals, tarot that sort of thing, found the experience comforting and thought that it was her dad telling them that he had come to take their mum with him.

Either way, I think it's a great story, despite being told inexpertly by me.

Music Box

On the contrary mate, I think you told it very well. Creepy story!

Wow! What a great story! And very well told, too.

I shall be retelling it for a week.

(The music box may be reparable by a cheaper, more spun method, by the way-

You need to expose the mechanism in a warm spot, such as a windowsill, then spray it heavily with WD40. Pick it up and shake it a few times, then leave it for the oil to warm through. Give it further shakes over a couple of days and then try gently flicking the flywheel a few times to see if it's loosened up. It might 'recover' eventually unless it's absolutely rusted, which is unlikely.)

Cheer's Escargot, I'll mention it to my mum, she's going up to fetch my Gran later on this week, I'll mention it to her.

What a brilliant story! And I think, the same as everyone else, that you told it really, really well.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Back