• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mystery Of The Four Bagged Snakes... In A Box

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Box of snakes 'linked to death'

Police believe the death of a man whose body was found in a rental car at an American airport may be linked to a box of venomous snakes.

Computer programmer Garrick Wales, 48, from Kilmacolm in Inverclyde, Scotland, was discovered near Little Rock National Airport in Arkansas on 13 May.

A box containing four African snakes was found in a box more than half a mile away the following day.

Police would not say why they believed there was a link with the snakes.

Detectives have not yet released the results of a post mortem examination and have not said whether Mr Wales, who was in Little Rock on business, died of snake bites.

Forest cobra

The four African snakes, which were in bags inside a box, were found by a local electrician near a motorway.

The 14in twig snake, 6ft green mamba, 4ft black mamba and 5ft forest cobra could all be deadly.

The box was said to be marked with warnings of its contents.

The snakes were taken to a local zoo, where staff said police had told them they were investigating a link between the reptiles and an unusual death.

The black mamba feeds on small mammals and birds, which it strikes and then stalks until paralysis kicks in.

It can grow to up to 14ft in length and travel at speeds of almost 12mph.

The snake is actually a brownish-grey colour and takes its name from the purple-black lining of its mouth.

The green mamba is another fast-moving snake, which grows to about 5ft in length.

It lives in trees across Africa, and is often difficult to see in green foliage. It feeds on birds and lizards and its venom can kill in only 30 minutes.

Rear-fanged snake

The forest cobra is a large, thick-bodied, black snake from the rain forests Africa.

Its bite can cause early paralysis and ventilatory failure, and can kill without quick intervention.

The twig snake comes from the family of rear-fanged snakes.

It has enlarged rear teeth with a groove to allow venom to flow down while swallowing their prey.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3738185.stm

More Clues to Bizarre Death of 'Box of Snakes' Briton

American detectives have released more information surrounding the bizarre death of a Scotsman found half-a-mile from a box of deadly snakes.

Detectives say Garrick Wales ordered the snakes over the internet from a “reptile dealership” in Florida before police found his body in a rented car near a local airport,

Detective Eric Knowles, of the Little Rock Police Department, who is investigating the death, said tonight that the snakes were transported from Florida to Little Rock National Airport at Mr Wales’s request.

He understood Mr Wales, 48, had also taken delivery of other snakes on previous trips to the United States.

Detective Knowles said police still knew little about why Mr Wales ordered the snakes, what he had intended to do with them or where the other snakes were.

“Whether he had a snake fetish, we just simply don’t know,” he said.

Little Rock police found Mr Wales, from Kilmacolm, Strathclyde, dead in his car on May 13. He was pale and surrounded by vomit.

A local electrician discovered a wooden box containing four deadly African snakes near a motorway half a mile away the following day.

The box contained a 14in twig snake, a 6ft green mamba, a 4ft black mamba and a 5ft forest cobra. All four could be deadly and the box was said to be marked with warnings of its contents.

Detective Knowles said police did not yet know how the snakes came to be dumped by the motorway.

It would not be known if Mr Wales died from snake bites until reports came back from post-mortem and toxicology tests.

“We can say that this is definitely not a homicide. There is definitely no foul play as far as someone else contributing to his death. All other possibilities remain open to us.

“We will continue trying to determine what he did with the other snakes. We still have not accounted for those snakes.”

Detective Knowles said Mr Wales’s family told Little Rock police he had travelled to the United States on numerous occasions and owned a computer information business.

Mr Wales’s widow, Pamela, speaking from the family home in Kilmacolm, an affluent commuter village near Glasgow, declined to comment on the nature of her husband’s death.

Mrs Wales, a teacher at a local school, said: “I have no comment to make as it would not be appropriate as the matter is being investigated by American authorities.

“I would ask you to respect my own and my family’s privacy at this time.”

Neighbours of the large detached house spoke of a “lovely man” and “nice neighbour”.

Mr Wales, who was a successful computer programmer for business, was in Little Rock on business.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2964082

Deadly snakes link to mysterious death of Briton in US

Kirsty Scott
Monday May 24, 2004
The Guardian

It was a delivery driver who first noticed the wooden box left at the junction of Sixth and Byrd streets in Little Rock, Arkansas on May 14. It bore the warning "Live Venomous Reptiles", and as he moved the lid to peer in, a large cobra lifted its head to strike.
The box was taken immediately to Little Rock Zoo where keepers found four venomous snakes: a forest cobra, a 6ft green mamba, a 4ft black mamba, and a 14 inch twig snake. Mambas are among the deadliest snakes in the world.

"I thought, holy cow! We've got some pretty serious animals," keeper Randal Berry told the local KATV news.

Across town, meanwhile, detectives at the Little Rock police department were investigating the death of a British businessman, 48-year-old Garrick Wales, from Kilmacolm, near Glasgow. Mr Wales, a computer programmer, had been found slumped in his hired car near Little Rock International Airport on May 13, pale and spattered with vomit.

Within hours, the two discoveries were linked, and police are now waiting for the result of toxicology tests which may confirm that Mr Wales was killed by snake venom.

Mr Wales, who was in the state on business, is said to have ordered the snakes over the internet from a reptile dealer in Florida and had them shipped to the airport.

It was not the first time, said detectives, that he had ordered snakes on a trip to the US. But they don't know why he ordered the snakes, or what he had intended to do with them. Nor did they know where the other snakes were.

They are also baffled as to how the box of snakes came to be dumped half a mile from where his body was found.

Detective Eric Knowles said they had ruled out homicide. "There is definitely no foul play as far as someone else contributing to his death. All other possibilities remain open to us," he said. "Whether he had a snake fetish, we simply don't know."

Det Knowles said Mr Wales had picked up snakes on previous trips to the US. "We will continue trying to determine what he did with the other snakes. We still have not accounted for those snakes."

Mr Wales's family is said to have told Little Rock police that he had travelled to the US on numerous occasions and that he owned a computer information business.

His widow, Pamela, who is a teacher, did not want to talk about her husband's death.

Speaking at their home, in the affluent commuter village near Glasgow, she said: "I have no comment to make as it would not be appropriate as the matter is being investigated by American authorities. I would ask you to respect my own and my family's privacy."

Neighbours of the dead man, however, said they had no knowledge that he collected snakes.

"The link to snakes is the biggest mystery," said Ewan Marshall, 21. "I have no idea if Mr Wales had pet snakes or an interest in them - but I find it very unlikely."

Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said: "Mr Wales did not have any hobbies involving snakes. He has never kept them or been interested in them as far as I am aware."

Experts, meanwhile, say the snakes in the box, thought to be worth around
Deadly snakes link to mysterious death of Briton in US

Kirsty Scott
Monday May 24, 2004
The Guardian

It was a delivery driver who first noticed the wooden box left at the junction of Sixth and Byrd streets in Little Rock, Arkansas on May 14. It bore the warning "Live Venomous Reptiles", and as he moved the lid to peer in, a large cobra lifted its head to strike.
The box was taken immediately to Little Rock Zoo where keepers found four venomous snakes: a forest cobra, a 6ft green mamba, a 4ft black mamba, and a 14 inch twig snake. Mambas are among the deadliest snakes in the world.

"I thought, holy cow! We've got some pretty serious animals," keeper Randal Berry told the local KATV news.

Across town, meanwhile, detectives at the Little Rock police department were investigating the death of a British businessman, 48-year-old Garrick Wales, from Kilmacolm, near Glasgow. Mr Wales, a computer programmer, had been found slumped in his hired car near Little Rock International Airport on May 13, pale and spattered with vomit.

Within hours, the two discoveries were linked, and police are now waiting for the result of toxicology tests which may confirm that Mr Wales was killed by snake venom.

Mr Wales, who was in the state on business, is said to have ordered the snakes over the internet from a reptile dealer in Florida and had them shipped to the airport.

It was not the first time, said detectives, that he had ordered snakes on a trip to the US. But they don't know why he ordered the snakes, or what he had intended to do with them. Nor did they know where the other snakes were.

They are also baffled as to how the box of snakes came to be dumped half a mile from where his body was found.

Detective Eric Knowles said they had ruled out homicide. "There is definitely no foul play as far as someone else contributing to his death. All other possibilities remain open to us," he said. "Whether he had a snake fetish, we simply don't know."

Det Knowles said Mr Wales had picked up snakes on previous trips to the US. "We will continue trying to determine what he did with the other snakes. We still have not accounted for those snakes."

Mr Wales's family is said to have told Little Rock police that he had travelled to the US on numerous occasions and that he owned a computer information business.

His widow, Pamela, who is a teacher, did not want to talk about her husband's death.

Speaking at their home, in the affluent commuter village near Glasgow, she said: "I have no comment to make as it would not be appropriate as the matter is being investigated by American authorities. I would ask you to respect my own and my family's privacy."

Neighbours of the dead man, however, said they had no knowledge that he collected snakes.

"The link to snakes is the biggest mystery," said Ewan Marshall, 21. "I have no idea if Mr Wales had pet snakes or an interest in them - but I find it very unlikely."

Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said: "Mr Wales did not have any hobbies involving snakes. He has never kept them or been interested in them as far as I am aware."

Experts, meanwhile, say the snakes in the box, thought to be worth around $1,000, were among the most dangerous in the world.

"He had some pretty deadly snakes," said Joel Weber, a reptile keeper at the herpetarium at Memphis Zoo.

"One bite from a mamba could put you out like nothing. Mambas are deadly venomous and they are pretty high strung, too."

He added: "Even a bite from a forest cobra would be pretty severe without medical help and I would not expect most hospitals to keep anti-venom for snakes like this."

Mr Weber said staff at the zoo avoided directly handling such snakes, preferring a system of shift cages to move the creatures around.

"I would not personally want to handle any of these," he said.

-----------------------------------------
Venom at large

Black mamba

One of the deadliest snakes in the world, the Black Mamba can grow up to 14ft. The swift black mamba comes from southern Africa. As little as two drops of venom can kill and each carries up to 20 drops of venom in its fangs.

Green mamba

The bite of the green mamba can be fatal in as little as 30 minutes. Mainly found in tropical or wooded areas of south and east Africa, it can grow to between 4ft and 7ft.

Forest cobra

A close relative of the Egyptian cobra, this species is found in the subtropical rainforests of Africa. It grows to 8ft or longer. Not considered the most dangerous of cobras, its bite nevertheless can be lethal without medical intervention.

Twig snake

Named after its bark-like colouration, the snake is found in eastern and southern Africa. A rear-fanged species, its bite is not normally dangerous, but it has been known to kill. The largest specimen measured 4ft.
,000, were among the most dangerous in the world.

"He had some pretty deadly snakes," said Joel Weber, a reptile keeper at the herpetarium at Memphis Zoo.

"One bite from a mamba could put you out like nothing. Mambas are deadly venomous and they are pretty high strung, too."

He added: "Even a bite from a forest cobra would be pretty severe without medical help and I would not expect most hospitals to keep anti-venom for snakes like this."

Mr Weber said staff at the zoo avoided directly handling such snakes, preferring a system of shift cages to move the creatures around.

"I would not personally want to handle any of these," he said.

-----------------------------------------
Venom at large

Black mamba

One of the deadliest snakes in the world, the Black Mamba can grow up to 14ft. The swift black mamba comes from southern Africa. As little as two drops of venom can kill and each carries up to 20 drops of venom in its fangs.

Green mamba

The bite of the green mamba can be fatal in as little as 30 minutes. Mainly found in tropical or wooded areas of south and east Africa, it can grow to between 4ft and 7ft.

Forest cobra

A close relative of the Egyptian cobra, this species is found in the subtropical rainforests of Africa. It grows to 8ft or longer. Not considered the most dangerous of cobras, its bite nevertheless can be lethal without medical intervention.

Twig snake

Named after its bark-like colouration, the snake is found in eastern and southern Africa. A rear-fanged species, its bite is not normally dangerous, but it has been known to kill. The largest specimen measured 4ft.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1223159,00.html

Case closed?

Police close snake death case 11:00, Jun 4 2004

US police have closed the bizarre case of a Kilmacolm man who is thought to have died after being bitten by snakes he bought over the internet.

Detectives in Arkansas decided Garrick Wales's death was an accident, although exactly how he died remains a mystery.

He was found dead in a car in the US state on May 13 and a box containing four African snakes was found nearby.

http://iclanarkshire.icnetwork.co.u...=police-close-snake-death-case-name_page.html

SNAKEBITE DEATH 'AN ACCIDENT' Jun 5 2004

AMERICAN detectives have closed their inquiry into the bizarre death of a Scot thought to have been bitten by poisonous snakes.

They have decided Garrick Wales died accidentally.

But it remains a mystery what the computer programmer, 48, was doing with a box containing four deadly snakes he bought over the internet.

He was found dead in a hire car near an airport at Little Rock, Arkansas, last month.

The next day, a man found the wooden box half a mile away.

Police suspect Mr Wales, from Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire, was bitten by a mamba, which would leave no puncture wounds or trace of poison in the blood.

However, a post-mortem examination revealed needle marks in his arm.

Police also found hypodermic needles in his shirt pocket and in the box with the snakes.

When they searched his hotel room, they found emails on his laptop to a Florida dealer thanking him for two 'quite docile' tree snakes.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/t...=snakebite-death--an-accident--name_page.html

Yeah, unfortunately, I've tried running searches combining this fellow with Bill & Hillary Clinton, Vince Foster, Whitewater, Arkansas State Troopers, etc. and come up with bupkis. :( ;)

Back