• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

THE PARANORMAL: THE EVIDENCE AND ITS IMPLICATIONS FOR CONSCI

Is the evidence in favour of the psi 'effect' existing?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
TBH, I thought the same as JamesM about the bald assertion that there the field is awash with 'good' science. Some references would have been more than nice. I agree with e man's assertion about statistical mete-analysis, but that is based on observations in other fields...

If there is good evidence then the source siting them should have been given...

Bayesian analysis of belief and science and parapsychology

Robert Matthews
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rajm/

wrote one of the articles in the recent New Scientist (13th March, 2004) page 39-41 and it had some interesting things to say about Bayesin analysis and the problems of subjectivity in science which was very interesting. He doesn't have the article online but an older paper of his sums it up:

In this paper, I have shown that the scientific community has a deeply ambiguous attitude towards the presence of subjectivity in research. While both desiring and proclaiming objectivity, working scientists routinely use subjective criteria in their everyday research. The justification is pragmatic, and entirely reasonable: it is impossible for working scientists to deal with the plethora of new results and theories that constantly present themselves in any other way. However, mindful of past abuses in the history of science, the scientific community remains committed to keeping the presence of subjectivity in the research enterprise to a minimum.

This commitment has led to the widespread adoption of techniques for statistical inference that appear to be "objective". Known as frequentist methods, they have become central to the research enterprise, with their outcomes - P-values and 95 per cent confidence intervals - becoming a sine qua non for acceptance by leading science journals. As I have shown, however, these textbook methods are neither objective nor reliable indicators of either effect size or statistical significance of research findings. By failing to take into account the intrinsic plausibility of the hypothesis under test, frequentist methods are capable of greatly exaggerating both the size and the significance of effects which are in reality the product of mere chance.

The implicit recognition of these failings by scientific community is evidenced by the way in which essentially identical results from the supposedly "objective" frequentist methods are interpreted in entirely different ways, according to the subjective belief of researchers. Thus, a large and "highly statistically significant" result in parapsychology will be ignored, while a small and statistically non-significant link between passive smoking and cancer will be deemed to "add considerably" to the case against environmental tobacco smoke.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rajm/twooesef.htm

I'm still pondering it but I thought I'd throw it in as I found that paper.

Emps

Still no word from Dr. Radin, by the way.

Back