• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Sweater Curse

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Never come across this before: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweater_curse

Knitters use the term "sweater curse" or "curse of the love sweater" to describe a situation in which a knitter gives a hand-knit sweater to a significant other, who quickly breaks up with the knitter.[1] In an alternative formulation, the relationship will end before the sweater is even completed.[2] The belief is widely discussed in knitting publications and some knitters claim to have experienced it;[3][4][5] a recent poll indicated that 15% of active knitters say they have experienced the sweater curse firsthand, and 41% consider it a possibility that should be taken seriously.[6]

Despite its name, the "sweater curse" is treated in knitting literature not as a superstition governed by paranormal forces, but rather as a real-world pitfall of knitting that has real-world explanations and solutions.[3][7] Several plausible mechanisms for the sweater curse have been proposed, but it has not been studied systematically.

etc

So, knitters: is this true?

james

I do not knit, and have never heard of this curse, but I have seen something similar in action with two different people who are knitters. The legend here is a bit different...
It is really popular here to knit scarves for boyfriends, but at the same time the rumor is that if you mention the scarf or don`t finish knitting it in a week, a break-up will soon follow. Because of this, most girls keep it an incredible secret, and are really proud if they can make the scarf and hand it over as that is a sign that the relationship will last.

The strong urban legend here though is to not knit for a baby who has not yet been born, or there will be a miscarriage. Knitting for the baby on the way is a no-no, but it has sort of been falling out with younger people. My son`s great-grandmother, who both knits and sews, didn`t make a single thing for him until he was safely home from the hospital as not to jinx things.

tamyu said:
The strong urban legend here though is to not knit for a baby who has not yet been born, or there will be a miscarriage. Knitting for the baby on the way is a no-no, but it has sort of been falling out with younger people. My son`s great-grandmother, who both knits and sews, didn`t make a single thing for him until he was safely home from the hospital as not to jinx things.

I can definitely see the superstitious logic to that, a case of not counting your chickens before they're hatched kind of thing.

I'll ask my knitty teaching friend about this - however, I now realize that I've never seen her husband wear anything that could vaguely be construed as hand-knitted.

Regarding the knitting for a baby thing, my family has a huge superstition about not getting ANYTHING for a baby until it's born. When I was pregnant with #1, I found it really stressful as although I tried to pooh-pooh it, I couldn't even bring myself to get a bag together for the hospital. Now I'm just over a month away from arrival of my second baby and I'm still finding it impossible to buy anything. Luckily at least working for a parenting magazine I've had a steady supply of bits and pieces forced on me, but it could still be that the kid has nothing to wear or sleep in for the first 24 hours.

"Look, I've brewed you this beer."

"Come, let us explore this sports-car together!"

"Do you like Doris Day?"

"I have built this secret nest of tissues."

"Can you help me find my gerbil?"

All work better than the jumper, I find.

Still, I know how to get rid of them now! Good patterns anyone? :) [/i]

My Mom was an avid knitter, as was my Dad's Mom. They knitted for every family member and everyone they knew with babies on the way. Never heard of any kind of curse attached. The only thing was, they'd knit baby clothes in white or yellow until the baby was born, "to be on the safe side" ;)

It makes me remember the hand-knitted jumpers that my grandmother lovingly made for my brother & I as sprogs. Being sprogs, we did not mind them so long as we did not have to go to school in them, where the machine-knitted variety from the local olde-mafiosi-official-uniforme-shope were essential.

Sir Colin Davis has been known to purl one off between movements:

Colin Davis :)

I have a theory.

Is it possible that as it's being knitted it's held up against the partner/wearer and their first thought is "I have to dump this person before this orange and green mo hair monstrosity is finished and I have to wear it to appease them!".

Moooksta said:
I have a theory.

Is it possible that as it's being knitted it's held up against the partner/wearer and their first thought is "I have to dump this person before this orange and green mo hair monstrosity is finished and I have to wear it to appease them!".

I don't think so, because I believe such a sweater is usually knitted in secret. I think the recipient's reaction is fear that the knitter assumes that the relationship is far more serious than the recipient does.

There's another curse: men knitting socks for women. Fast way to lose a girlfriend. (Yes, Commonwealth and American friends, it is not that unusual for males in other societies to know how to k nit.)

SHAYBARSABE said:
There's another curse: men knitting socks for women. Fast way to lose a girlfriend.

Any idea why?

My Mom - who can knit anything - reckons life is too short to knit socks.

Mythopoeika said:
SHAYBARSABE said:
There's another curse: men knitting socks for women. Fast way to lose a girlfriend.

Any idea why?

My guess is that the same motivation underlies both the sweater curse and the sock curse: the gift is too intimate and generates fear that the relationship is getting far too serious.

SHAYBARSABE said:
Mythopoeika said:
SHAYBARSABE said:

Any idea why?

My guess is that the same motivation underlies both the sweater curse and the sock curse: the gift is too intimate and generates fear that the relationship is getting far too serious.

But, but...the gift of a sock sets you free! Especially if you are a house elf... :)

Mythopoeika said:
But, but...the gift of a sock sets you free! Especially if you are a house elf... :)

You're in a relationship with a house elf?

Scenes From Crustic Life, Episode Three:

"At this important point in our relationship, I just want to say, may you walk a thousand miles in these socks . . . . and may they be as happy as the thousand I have walked with thee! Wait, I haven't got my heel out yet! Come back, damn you! Call yourself a man!" :cross eye

SHAYBARSABE said:
Mythopoeika said:

You're in a relationship with a house elf?

How do you know I'm not a house elf? ;)

I'm not, actually - honest...

I know of the curse from other knitters. Apart from the obvious superstition of not wanting to tempt fate, my theory is that most non-knitters don't realise quite what a time-consuming, complicated and expensive process it is to make a sweater - imho it's not humanly possible to ever be quite grateful enough for such a gift. Meanwhile, the recipient might well feel hard done by to get a "home-made" present. Resentment bubbles up on both sides.

Mind you I did knit a Dr Who scarf for the OH one Christmas, I think we saved our relationship by agreeing it should only be half the length of the 16ft original.

Back