• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Unbridged Amazon River

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This surprised me ... There are no bridges spanning the Amazon River. The reasons are fairly straightforward, but it's still something of a surprise ...
Why are there no bridges over the Amazon River?

The Amazon River is the world's second-longest river and one of the planet's most significant waterways. It contains more fresh water by volume than any other river, is home to the world's largest species of river dolphin, and hosts 100 species of electric fish and up to 60 species of piranhas.

Yet, despite its many and varied qualities, there is something that cannot be found on the Amazon River: bridges.

Given the Amazon flows through three countries (Peru, Colombia and Brazil) and more than 30 million people live in the river's basin, according to the World Wildlife Fund (opens in new tab), it seems somewhat improbable that no bridges span the river. So why is this the case? Are there fundamental difficulties with building such structures in a rainforest containing swaps, extensive wetlands and deep, thick undergrowth? Are there financial barriers? Or is it simply not worth the effort? ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/why-no-bridges-over-amazon-river

Back