• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Toronto Tunnel Monster

A

Anonymous

Tunnel Monster - Toronto Ontario

It was a warm summer’s day in August of 1978 when a Toronto area man had an experience with a strange creature that would forever change his life.

Ernest (he would only allow his first name to be used) was a soft-spoken 51 year old at the time of his harrowing experience. He and his wife of 19 years had been raising a litter of kittens. One of the kittens apparently disappeared and Ernest decided to search for it in the vicinity of their Parliament St. apartment. Closeby he stumbled upon the opening to a dark “cave” and crawled approx.10ft inwards. This is where he said, “I saw a living nightmare that I’ll never forget.”

Armed only with a flashlight Ernest encountered a creature of unknown origin. He described the monster as “long and thin, almost like a monkey, three ft long, large teeth, weighing maybe 30lbs with slate-grey fur.” However it was the eyes that truly stood out, “orange and red, slanted.”

Ernest spoke reluctantly with reporters as to what occurred next. The creature spoke to him. “I’ll never forget it,” he said. “It said, ‘Go away, go away,’ in a hissing voice. Then it took off down a long tunnel off to the side. I got out of there as fast as I could. I was shaking with fear.”

Ernest never approached the media with his story. He was afraid that people would think that he was “drunk” or worse “crazy” and felt that no one would ever believe him. “The (Toronto area newspaper) Sun found him after hearing about his experience from a reliable contact who worked with a relative of Ernest’s, one of the handful of people to whom he had confided the experience. He would agree to talk only if his last name was not revealed.”

“I believe Ernie saw exactly what he says he did”, said Barbara (Ernest’s wife). “He was terrified when he came back to the apartment and he doesn’t scare easily. Look, he’s been known to to have a drink in the past - like most people, and to occasionally tie one on, but he’s not a drunk and he wasn’t drinking at all that day.”

The Toronto Sun did question some of Ernest’s relatives and neighbourhood aquaintances. They found that all agreed with and supported Barabara’s evaluation of her husband.

Ernest accompanied by Sun staff returned to the location of his strange sighting in March of 1979. The cave’s entrance was located at the bottom of a narrow passageway between the building where he lived and the one next door. Together they found the corpse of a cat, which was “half-buried in the tunnel.” The sad discovery reminded Ernest of ‘strange noises, like animals in pain,” that he had heard emanating from the tunnel prior to his frightening encounter.

Ernest showed the Sun reporter exactly where he saw the strange being. He stated, “ The last I saw the creature it was heading off into the dark.” The passage seemed to drop down very quickly and go a long way back.

It was speculated that the the tunnel in fact led to the sewer system and that the entranceway beside Ernest’s apartment was “an access point used by the creature to the surface.” Safety concerns promoted Toronto’s Sewer Deptartment to thoroughly inspect the tunnel as it was feared that area children may in fact try to enter it.

Ernest’s story was very strange, however sewage employees did not ridicule or scoff at it according to the report made by The Toronto Sun at that time. One worker who was quoted in the paper stated, “People who work on the surface just don’t know what it’s like down there. It’s a whole different world. Who would have thought a few years ago that people would live in sewers, and yet that’s what they found in New York a few years back. Another was quoted as saying, “I don’t know what he (Ernest) saw down there.” He also stated, “I’ll tell you one thing. If we could get in there, I sure as hell wouldn’t want to go down alone.”

It’s is interesting to note that the description of the creature provided by Ernest and an artist’s rendering which was included in the original Toronto Sun article resemble some current reports of another strange creature - the South American Chupacabara.

To view a sketch of the creature based on an artist’s rendition which appeared with the original Toronto Sun article - Please Click Here (link active on the original page).

Source:

The Sunday Sun - March 25th, 1979

http://www.pararesearchers.org/Cryptozoology/crypto1/crypto1.html

:eek!!!!: have there ever been any other sightings of this creature since?

Sorry but this smacks of many subterranean/sewer-living legends of New York / London.

"Go away, go away!" in a hissing voice? Where are the sibilants? Methinks it sounds too much like Gollum.

So this cave was in a tunnel/passage between buildings(?) and leads to the Toronto sewers?

Too many sensible questions, not enough sensible answers. Before the propositon of unknown hominids living off of stray cats begin, isn't there a question of accurate portrayal of location? Are there photographs of the passage/tunnel, even after the encounter?

It could just have been hissing and it sounded like "go away go away!"

Or perhaps he found an entrance to Middle Earth!

He found a broken gas outlet and had breathed in too many fumes ...
*mutter, mutter*

Check the chupacabra thread; I posted this last week. :D

This goes in my file of favorite creepy isolated reports. These interest me because the involved always seem so shaken and serious about what they've seen and there's little to no cultural deritus imprinted on their descriptions.

Maybe when I collect enough, I'll make them fight: Toronto's cat-faced monkey monster vs Washington's 5 foot basement shrimp would make a great addition to Monday (sur)reality TV.

Seriously though, makes me wonder about all the cracks and crevices we step right over every single day; perhaps sewer workers, city renovators, and other urban splunkers are hoarding over some tasty stories. Gives me another good reason to avoid cleaning the basement: 'Night Shift' anyone? :eek:

I think he met a husky voiced sewer worker.

it was dark after all

Using the word artist in conjunction with the sketch seems to be stretching the meaning of artist a little far. It looks like one of the pictures that the kids draw that they print in our local sunday funny-papers. They could have at least got a police sketch artist.

LobeliaOverhill said:
It could just have been hissing and it sounded like "go away go away!"

Or perhaps he found an entrance to Middle Earth!

Myy Pre-cious!

chrisford said:
OOH, OOH maybe it was a C.H.U.D.

The glowing-bugeyed cannibal mutant type CHUD or the spoof-sequel poodle-eating zombie type?

It's the former you got to look out for...unless you're a poodle. ;)

Healthy scepticism is well ... healthy. However, Fortean Times wouldn't exist if there were not innumerable strange experiences being reported daily. Are we to believe Charles Fort had too much time on his hands; was too credulous?

Yes, there are many urban legends and many fabrications; many improbable sounding myths and legends. They confuse, confound. However, some accounts we find credible, at least in part; why? Is it because the semi-believable accounts conform with oft-repeated (and now almost acceptable) tales; such as the variety of abduction scenarios, unidentified flying objects, improbable animal sightings? What causes us to seriously consider some accounts whilst denying others outright? How long does it take for something to become accepted as being worthy of consideration at least; two generations, three?

It's often stated that those who've claimed evidence of their 'past life' always seem to choose someone famous as their past incarnation. But research does not support that; generally, the claimed 'past lives' are ordinary in the extreme. So it appears an urban legend has sprung up about past-lives. It sounds a bit similar to jealousy, in fact, as in: ' Oh -- he says he's found out he lived before. Sure. And I was Cleopatra'.

Here we have a post about a man's claimed experience within a tunnel and it's been granted short shrift. But a strange experience within a deserted tunnel or cave is highly probable. Dark, deserted locations are not going to attract your grandma and grandad and the corgis, are they? So it's logical that those creatures which frequent deserted locations are going to be a little bit out of the ordinary; be they teenage kids looking for excitement or some frightened soul without a job, money, friends or a place to live. And dark, deserted locations are not often fitted with bathrooms, kitchens, lighting, running- water, etc. So someone who'd spent even a week in such a location would already appear 'different'. Imagine someone who'd spent six months or six years in such a place. Hair down their backs, beard, ragged filty clothes, unhealthy looking skin, long yellowed nails and probably something different about their eyes. Living for an extended period without natural light would cause them to rely more on their senses of smell and hearing.

It would be logical that someone living under such conditions would swiftly lose their social skills .. that's if they had many to begin with. They would 'live in their own mind' much of the time. If they were capable of seeking assistance re; their plight, they wouldn't have chosen a life underground to begin with. So it would be natural for them to be afraid of 'normal people'; to shrink from such contact; to react in seemingly aggressive manner. And it would be logical for them to scavenge food or whatever could be found, via access to the 'above ground world'.

A middle-aged man, slightly nervous of leaving the security of his normal environment in order to enter an underground location and driven on by his concern for a helpless animal, would rightly be shocked to encounter someone in a dark, confined area. Both creatures in the account sound as if they reacted in shock. Echoes within the tunnel may well have bestowed an 'unearthly' tone to the hairy creature's ' Go away' warning. Scientists among us may well be able to explain the strangeness reported about the hairy-creature's eyes.

Later, a small kitten was discovered 'half buried' in the tunnel. Not 'half eaten', not burnt by 'strange fire' -- no, just 'half buried'. It may well be the hairy-creature attempted to bury it. It may very well be that truly gentle souls, being the least-likely to survive in our ruthless world, sometimes take refuge in subterranean places and spend most of the poor, lonely lives there.

I find the original post reasonably believable, allowing for the natural 'dressing up' of the tale by the media.

Thats what I was implying, it was probably a person.

whether or not they were permenent residents is another thing.

going from the light into the dark, you wouldnt see much...but you might get spoooked.

(a typo, but it looks good, neh?)

In Alexandria David Neels `with mystics and magicians in Tibet` she described some hermits.

They were pretty much like what Finehair visualised.

A tunnel or cave "between" two buildings? In a city centre?

I'm sorry to evince such scepticism but the story - and it is an unconfirmed story, regardless of family, freinds etc. saying he look shocked - is quite improbable. Not impossible just so highly unlikely as to evoke doubt.

So, your theory is that it's a tramp (or streetperson to the politically correct) who has retreated so far from humanity that they've become feral who was spotted by Mr Middle Class Joe Average?

Possible. Not probable, but possible.

The original post cites a newspaper article which describes the location as a 'cave'.

This brings to mind the dedicated subterranean explorers in many large cities; many of whom have organised and conduct tours. A group in my own city publish a lot online and the photos show every shape and size of tunnel; many of which could be described, particularly by 'above ground dwellers' as 'caves'. In my city, the tunnel-group long ago gained access to a several mile network of drainage tunnels, all of which have been named by members of the various groups. Recently apparently, developers constructed a multi-storey apartment block almost above one of these enormous tunnels (many features of which actually do resemble caves) and drove a massive steel and concrete support column straight through the tunnel. There was still a huge amount of tunnel left on either side of the column, which gives some indication of the size of some of these things. Photos show tunnels eight metres high; cavernous and used by skateboarders, apparently. The tunnel group found it amusing that access to the tunnel network was quite close to the luxurious gardens surrounding the new apartment block, and the entrance was very flimsily guarded by a rusted square of grill. Similarly, in the centre of Sydney there's a massive underground 'cave' in the true sense of the word, leading off one of the main railway stations(St.James I think). This cave has now partially filled with water, upon which some enterprising subterranean explorer has left a blow up boat. Photos show crystal water, lamps, even a section of sandy 'beach'. Until recently, apparently, the Council conducted tours there.

All of this implies that despite high density living, there's much to be discovered beneath the pavements. It's entirely possible that the 'cave' seen by the man in the original post may have been an entry to a drainage system; and of course it's not unusual for access to such subterranean necessities to be conveniently located between buildings. After all, service personnel have to enter somewhere.

All of this implies that despite high density living, there's much to be discovered beneath the pavements. It's entirely possible that the 'cave' seen by the man in the original post may have been an entry to a drainage system; and of course it's not unusual for access to such subterranean necessities to be conveniently located between buildings. After all, service personnel have to enter somewhere.

But surly such a place would have some sort of barrier to prevent unautherised access.

In an ideal world there'd be secure impediments to entry, but cities are growing at a tremendous rate. Old gratings are not always maintained; some are forgotten altogether. Rust never sleeps. New drainage and other systems are being built all the time, others abandoned. I'd never suspected the 'world beneath' and only read about it while doing a search for information on the Denver airport. Before learning about the tunnel systems under most big cities, I just imagined there were sewers a foot wide, carrying solid waste. But of course, sewers are just one aspect of what lies below. There are a lot of abandoned shafts/tunnels down there. After looking at online photos of many, it makes you wonder what some of them were built for. Even those people who make exploration of the tunnels their hobby are confounded by a lot of what they discover. And of course, many major cities expanded the systems (London and Toyko apparently) and built new ones as part of military defence. Wars end; governments are replaced; local-council boundaries are changed; information is lost, deliberately or otherwise and within a few years much is forgotten. But the tunnels are still there. Some visit them for fun, some by accident, some to conceal their activities, some live in them.

And it's worth remembering (in relation to the original post) that paranormal events occur all the time above ground. It's logical to assume they also occur underground equally frequently.

Hrm--I've found a reference to the location.

From the original story:
One of the kittens apparently disappeared and Ernest decided to search for it in the vicinity of their Parliament St. apartment.

And the reference...

Toronto Entrance
There is a small opening to the underground tunnels off Parliament Street in downtown Toronto. (The entrance is between two apartment buildings, and leads to the tunnels via the sewers.) The underground city (abandoned?) beneath Toronto has its center beneath Gerrard Street and Church Street. Above this area, strange magnetic effects have been observed. (Note: This corner of Gerrard & Church streets has a higher accident rate than anywhere else in Toronto. It is believed that underground equipment utilizing powerful magnetic fields (which have caused many strange magnetic effects in houses near this intersection) are responsible for the bizarre equipment failures that often are the cause of these accidents.) The Indians near Toronto have legends of these tunnels.

linky linky

I blush, I live 3 hrs from TO and seldom go. Any FTMBers from Tronno who can check out the location, or at least confirm the accident rate as claimed above?

chrisford said:
OOH, OOH maybe it was a C.H.U.D.

homer.gif

"And that's when the CHUDS attacked..."

Leaferne said:
I blush, I live 3 hrs from TO and seldom go.
Quite OT (!!!) here, but in this part of the world TO refers to Truro, the only city in Cornwall.

This derives from fishing boat registation districts: TO is Truro, FH is Falmouth, PZ is Penzance, etc.

OK, nothing to see here, move along folks! Carry on as you were!

Green acres is the place for me.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

...The chores.
...The stores.
...Fresh air.
...Times Square

You are my wife.
Good bye, city life.
Green Acres we are there. :lol:

Back