• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Total Personality Shift Following Accident / Head Trauma

We have a thread on that ...

Thank you, that will be an interesting read - obviously, a crossover here.

Was wondering about, `speaking in tongues' and whether that may have some origins pertinent to this topic.

Just checked and indeed there is also s separate thread on this.

Will also duly be perused.

Meantime, came across this:

The people who wake up from comas with different personalities

Source: Express online
Date: 24 December, 2014

The brain plays the most astonishing tricks. Why else would a 25–year–old man from the Midlands wake up one day and be convinced not only that he was Matthew McConaughey, a 45–yearold Hollywood actor, but French to boot?

This is what happened to Rory Curtis when he suffered a serious brain injury in August 2012 after a horrific accident on the M42 in Staffordshire. After six days in an induced coma he came round and began chatting to the nurses in French and planning his return to film work. Not until he looked in a mirror did he realise that a) he had suffered a head injury and b) that he was not the Oscar–winning McConaughey after all.

"I was shocked because I don't look like him," said the semiprofessional footballer from Redditch, Worcestershire who plays for Stourport Swifts. "I didn't know what I was looking at."

Two years on Rory is still fluent in French even though before his accident he had not spoken a word of the language since dropping it as a subject in Year 9 at school when he was 13.

https://www-express-co-uk.cdn.amppr...ke-up-from-comas-with-different-personalities

Two years on Rory is still fluent in French even though before his accident he had not spoken a word of the language since dropping it as a subject in Year 9 at school when he was 13.

Yup, he already spoke French so he didn't suddenly acquire it from nowhere. He remembered it, which would be natural if unusual.

Anyway, I doubt he's actually fluent. 'Understandable', perhaps. Having good French pronunciation goes a long way. I have experience of this!

Yup, he already spoke French so he didn't suddenly acquire it from nowhere. He remembered it, which would be natural if unusual.
Was wondering about that.

Still trying to appreciate the overall perspective, found this fascinating, online article:

Personality change after brain injury impacts recovery and relationships.

Source: Psychology Today
Date: 9 March, 2012

In the brain injury world, there are taboo subjects that family caregivers can't wait to talk about among ourselves. The dark side of personality change is at the top of the list. In my recent post, "After Brain Injury: Learning to Love a Stranger," I shared my experience of building a new relationship and marriage with my husband Alan. Alan suffered a severe anoxic brain injury following a massive heart attack and cardiac arrest.

n this post, I'll tell you more about the impact of personality change after brain injury. On Sunday, in Part II, I'll describe some of the strategies we used to help Alan manage anxiety and anger.

https://www-psychologytoday-com.cdn...njury-the-dark-side-personality-change-part-i

This is a link to the second part:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...njury-the-dark-side-personality-change-part-2

Back