• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tsunami Stones & Nuclear Warnings

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
The book I’ve just finished reading – Beyond the Map by Alastair Bonnett, is a vaguely Fortean themed exploration of some of the weirdest and lesser-known places on Earth.

One brief section describes the Tsunami stones dotted around Japan’s north east coast. These megaliths, some standing 3 metres tall, have been erected over the centuries and incised with prayers and warnings to future generations not to build houses in areas swamped by Tsunamis in the past. Sadly, they have been largely ignored and some 18,000 people lost their lives in the “3/11” Tsunami in 2011.

This Tsunami also wrecked the poorly-located Fukushima nuclear power plant, spreading hazardous material over a wide area.

The book then touches on a profound point; how can we warn generations in our far-distant future about dangerous nuclear waste we are storing around the world?

Plutonium 239 will remain hazardous for an estimated 220,000 years. That’s an almost unimaginable period to us.

So just imagine some curious hominids (who probably look as different from us as we do from Homo Erectus) in the year 20017, are exploring a cave system or maybe some ground disturbed by an earthquake, and come across some mysterious metallic cylinders, partially encased in crumbling concrete?

What kind of enduring warning message or symbol would be meaningful to them?

The inscriptions on the Tsunami stones are still just about legible and their slightly archaic Japanese can be readily understood. But they are only a few centuries old.

In just over 1,000 years, the English of Beowulf has become virtually incomprehensible to us. There is no chance of our mother tongue surviving 200 times that length of time. So what kind of warning can we produce to survive into an unimaginably distant future and to let our unimaginably distant descendants know what a recklessly stupid species we were?

So what kind of warning can we produce to survive into an unimaginably distant future...

Disregarding the erroneous presupposition that nuclear power is a bad thing, I would suggest a large image of Diane Abbott. That should be sufficient to deter the approach of anything quantifiable as humanoid and intelligent.

maximus otter

So what kind of warning can we produce to survive into an unimaginably distant future and to let our unimaginably distant descendants know what a recklessly stupid species we were?

Not to be flippant, but as we are indeed such a recklessly stupid species we probably won't be leaving any descendants far into the future.

It would have be in a language cockroaches would understand.

It would have be in a language cockroaches would understand.

I read somewhere that gerbils would be one of the species to survive any ELE. I rather like the idea of an Earth populated by intelligent, evolved gerbils because they would be cute.

Any vestigial remnants of humanity could be employed in wheel maintenance and sunflower seed harvesting.

maximus otter

Planet of the Gerbils :)

I think Keith Richards would probably survive too, it'd take more than an ELE to finish him off.

I read somewhere that gerbils would be one of the species to survive any ELE. I rather like the idea of an Earth populated by intelligent, evolved gerbils because they would be cute.

Any vestigial remnants of humanity could be employed in wheel maintenance and sunflower seed harvesting.

maximus otter

You don't reckon descendants of Richard Gere may face persecution?

I think the skull is a fairly ubiquitous sign of death, so I'd go with that...:reap:

Yes, but it can also signify a revered, sacred site. If our far distant descendants are into ancestor-worship, they could conceivably regard such a sign as indicating a sacred shrine where they could connect with their fore-fathers. Certainly the Aztecs could well have regarded it that way.

Last edited:
Yes, but it can also signify a revered, sacred site. If our far distant descendants are into ancestry-worship, they could conceivably regard such a sign as indicating a sacred shrine where they could connect with their fore-fathers. Certainly the Aztecs could well have regarded it that way.
They would not be far wrong in one sense, sadly.

With an Alan Partridge mask as a warning sign?

alan_partridge_text_added_cropped.jpg

maximus otter

A bad idea. We might need that nuclear waste at some point in the future. It might be recyclable.
Also, there's danger involved in getting it up there.
Plus the ridiculous waste of fossil fuels involved in doing so. Still, that waste of fuel might bring nuclear power's CO2 emissions into line with other main-line power options.

In just over 1,000 years, the English of Beowulf has become virtually incomprehensible to us. There is no chance of our mother tongue surviving 200 times that length of time. So what kind of warning can we produce to survive into an unimaginably distant future and to let our unimaginably distant descendants know what a recklessly stupid species we were?

Yes, and slang continues to develop at a fast rate.

But I think there will be a form of "Standardised Internet English" which remains, because people will want to go back and look at web pages from history.
So the net will encourage certain parameters not to be breached.
This form of English will run alongside the contemporary English of future times.

Not on all sites, not on many Forums, but on mainstream news sites and sites such as museums and charities.

Back