• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Two Balls Of Light In The House In The Night

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
Another ball of light story but inside not outdoors (warning: batshit alert):

When I was about 11 years old, I was sent to the country to spend the summer with an aunt and uncle on a secluded farm in western Kentucky, US. My aunt and uncle lived there by themselves, as their son was grown up and had moved away. It was so secluded that the night sky was really dark, with no light pollution. This meant that the inside bedroom was also really dark, with little ambient light coming through the windows from the stars or the moon. I had my own bedroom, which was connected to the bedroom my aunt and uncle occupied by a door. This door was always kept open to my bedroom at night.

One night, I awoke convinced that someone was up and moving in the house. I sat up in bed but didn’t turn the light on. I saw two bright shiny round-oval lights in my aunt’s bedroom. They were about the size of a regular flashlight light, and were about 4 feet off the floor. They were so bright that I could see the bedroom furniture in their room illuminated by them, but they were not quite as bright as an actual flashlight. I thought it was my aunt and uncle up, doing some inexplicable grown-up thing in the middle of the night. I called out to them, but they didn’t answer. The lights, however, shifted position, apparently in response to my calling out.

The two lights turned to face me (meaning they changed from oval to round) through the bedroom door, and then they moved undulatingly as if floating, to me. They crossed the connecting bedroom doorway, and crossed my bedroom until they were only 3-4 feet away from my face as I sat in my bed. I realized that they were not attached to flashlights and nobody was carrying them. My little proto-scientist mind knew that this was impossible, but it was happening all the same. I vaguely thought I should be scared, but I was not. I was cautious, but fascinated.

What I saw: two lights, which shifted from round to oval to round again. They were about 1 – 1.5 feet apart at all times, but the actual distance varied as they moved around. One was slightly bigger than the other, and it took the lead in moving from my aunt’s bedroom to mine, and getting close to me. The dimensions of the bigger one were 4-5 inches in diameter when it was round (face on?). The smaller one was about 3-4 inches in diameter at the biggest. They both had definite, but soft edges. They seemed to have three-dimensional volume, so they were like balls and not just circles. They both were bright enough to light up my room so I could see furniture on the other side of the room – maybe 12 feet away. They were not as bright as a flashlight or ordinary lightbulb in their ability to illuminate objects brightly; but they were incredibly bright in themselves – on their surface. Hard to describe. Their colors were a shifting, shimmering combination of pastel blues, greens, and pinks. They were beautiful! When I looked very directly at them, I had a sense of depth. I felt no heat from them, but a charge similar to static electricity. I did not try to touch them, but I don’t know why. They made no noise at all.

I had the impression that they were intelligent and directed, and that they were real. It was as if two people were visiting me in the bedroom. They seemed curious, and friendly. I tried to talk to them in my mind, not with my voice because I didn’t want to wake up my aunt and uncle, which I thought would stop the lights’ visit. I tried really hard to talk with them, and it seemed as if they were aware of my efforts and wanted to talk to me as well, but we were unable to communicate.

After a few minutes (which is a really long time), they bobbed up and down a few times, then floated back to the other bedroom a few feet from my aunt’s bed. Then, they became gradually dimmer until they both faded out at the same time. This fading away took 2-3 seconds. At no time did my aunt or uncle stir.

I stayed sitting up in bed for a long time, waiting to see if they lights would come back, but they didn’t. I went to sleep. The next morning, at breakfast, I asked my aunt and uncle if they had been up in the middle of the night with flashlights. They were surprised, and said no, and why had I asked. I told them that I thought I had seen flashlights in the house. (No, I didn’t tell them the whole story as I was sure they would think I was mistaken and I didn’t want them “concerned” about me.) They suggested I had probably dreamed it. I agreed in order to head off any interrogation.

I thought about it, and decided I had not been dreaming, but couldn’t prove it to myself. I decided if the lights came back I would move a book in my bedroom as proof I had been awake and not dreaming.

A few weeks later, I again woke up convinced someone was in the house. The lights were back, same as before, in the other bedroom. I sat up in bed, and the lights immediately came to me! It was a repeat of the first visit, friendly but no communication. When they went back into the other bedroom and faded out, I got out of bed and moved a book from next to my bed on a small nightstand to across the room to where I would never ordinarily place it.

The next morning, the book was still in its unusual place, and so I believed the weird lights were real. I have thought about this over the next 50 years, and have no explanation. It is another data point in my search for the unified field theory of ontology.

Those two visits were all I experienced of these lights; they never happened again. Comments invited, of course.

Thanks for the clear and detailed description of the incidents, and kudos for being clever enough to use the book-moving as a test against dreaming.

Did one or both lights wink out (however briefly) in moving from your relatives' bedroom into your bedroom?

What was it that made you think there was a 'charge' akin to static electricity about them?

The lights did not wink out ever. That is, from the time I first noticed them, they were constantly in my field of vision. Regarding the static charge: I could feel it on my face when they were by my bed. It tingled or tickled a little. Not a lot. It was later that I realized that the tingling was called static electricity. My cousins would rub a balloon until it was charged so it would stick to surfaces, and the balloon if held close to my skin felt like the lights' tingling. I did not touch them with my hands as I was afraid of both ending the experience and afraid of perhaps hurting myself. Why did you ask about them winking out?

Please feel free with possible explanations. It is important to me that I have some explanations for some of the weird stuff I have experienced, and these lights are at the top of my weirdness scale. I have ruled out:
- Dreaming (because of the moved book)
- Carlights coming in from the window (because the lights were continuous and lit up the whole room, which carlights, directional and from outside the room, would not do)
- My aunt and uncle playing a prank on me (because I clearly saw the lights unsupported right next to my bed)
- Ball plasma (because the lights were silent, no sizzling; and I saw no weird lightning spikes coming from their soft surface)
- I was experiencing a psychotic break (you'll have to trust me on this one)

I've just remembered that I had quite a similar experience when I was very young - probably about 4/5 years old. I have a distinct memory of sitting up in bed and seeing two small balls of light flying around me. I began playing with them and they seemed to react and dart about as I tried to swat them with my hands. I remember laughing and finding it very amusing at the time. Over the years I’ve tended to put it down to being a dream or a false memory, but now I’m not so sure!

I've just remembered that I had quite a similar experience when I was very young - probably about 4/5 years old. I have a distinct memory of sitting up in bed and seeing two small balls of light flying around me. I began playing with them and they seemed to react and dart about as I tried to swat them with my hands. I remember laughing and finding it very amusing at the time. Over the years I’ve tended to put it down to being a dream or a false memory, but now I’m not so sure!
OS - I am so glad to read that someone else also experienced this. What were the balls' colors? Did they visit you more than once? Etc. Wow - you were playing with them. I was far to cautious to do that. More details if you can, please!

Your lights sound similar to lights I've seen in my back yard. We've lived in this house in southeast Texas for 25 years. Our back yard is wooded. Not long after moving in I caught a glimpse of light flashing through the treetops. I looked up at it but it was gone. I thought it was strange but I chalked it up to someone probably playing with a flashlight across the street. Over the years that kept happening. Our grown sons also have seen this.

On one occasion recently I happened to look out the bedroom window just as a light sailed through the back yard outside the window. Bright white like a car headlight. I focused my eyes on it and got a good look at it. There's never any sound. It's always a very brief, fleeting thing and then gone. I have no idea what it might be.

OS - I am so glad to read that someone else also experienced this. What were the balls' colors? Did they visit you more than once? Etc. Wow - you were playing with them. I was far to cautious to do that. More details if you can, please!

Well, I recall the lights (I hesitate to say "orbs"!) as being a sort of soft but bright light rather than a pure white light. Possibly they were fluctuating with other colours but my memory is quite dim! The impression I have is they were playing with me rather than me playing with them. Clearly I wasn't frightened and they seemed friendly. Eventually they just sort of dimmed down in brightness until I couldn't see them anymore. I don't remember seeing them any other time and like I say previously I've tended to think in the past this was just a dream. I wonder if there are other reports of people having similar experiences.

Just my opinion, just as younger children can see ghosts, younger children can tap into light energy which goes away with age.

A lot of these stories usually start like I was young in my bedroom, and this light appeared.
I have never seen a ghost (as far as I know) and don't know what they are, like so many other anomalous personal experiences both reported by others and experienced by me.

I think that children around the world experience lots of real things which adults usually can not, because we have been socio-culturally educated away from that experience. Maybe our brain structure or biochemistry, with age, no longer perceives the same. I think this is analogous to how visual acuity decreases after childhood. What is out there has not changed; only our ability to perceive.

@brownmane: I did not know this. Now that I am retired, I have more time to read up on weird stuff. However, before I start all this reading, I want to capture, for myself, my own weird experiences unfiltered by others' interpretation of weird stuff. Recalling one's memory is always mediated by other, related thoughts. The more time passes, the more the subsequent thoughts interfere with the primary memory. I am interested in reading about others' direct experiences here in Forteanaland, but don't want quite yet to delve deep into more scholarly works written by subject matter experts which analyze others' experiences. I find them very persuasive in incrementally changing my own memories, as my interpretation of those memories includes those others' analyses.

@OrsonSwells: Thank you for the additional details. I vaguely wonder if these occurrences are common, only we as adults don't remember them.

Back