• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UK Mystery Place (Fate Magazine, Long Ago)?

gerhard1

Abominable Snowman
This is my first post here and I'm excited to be with you.

There is a place in the UK, that was discussed in a long-ago article in Fate. It is not a structure, that is, a castle, building or house, but rather, it is a place like a hill, forest, or meadow. The strange thing is that this place seems to be a deadly place, but only in the month of May. If memory serves, it was in England.

Does this sound familiar to anyone here?

It was told about in a early compilation of Fate articles, and I used to own the book, but it is now lost. I have written to the writer of the current compilation, and have also written to other well-known researchers in this field, as well as to the magazine itself, but have yet to get any response.

All of my efforts to find any information on this place have produced no results.

Perhaps some of you might be able to make some suggestions as to where I can look. In the meantime, I'll continue to look for the book.

Thanks for reading.

Not that this is in England but.....

Thank you for the link. It was interesting even if it wasn't quite what I was looking for. Would you happen to know if there is an on-line index to Fate articles?

Can't help with the specific place, but perhaps worthy of note is that the month of May is associated with the old Celtic pagan Beltane festival, with its connotations of fire, sacrifice and the spirit world. There is also, the Maypole fertility tradition. All these themes were brought together brilliantly in The Wicker Man movie. So May is traditionally a time when the margin between the supernatural and the natural world becomes very thin. Possibly an optimum time for Fortean events?

Can't help with the specific place, but perhaps worthy of note is that the month of May is associated with the old Celtic pagan Beltane festival, with its connotations of fire, sacrifice and the spirit world. There is also, the Maypole fertility tradition. All these themes were brought together brilliantly in The Wicker Man movie. So May is traditionally a time when the margin between the supernatural and the natural world becomes very thin. Possibly an optimum time for Fortean events?
This is so, and it might also be worthwhile to note that I think the article mentioned that the place was associated with human sacrifice in pre-Roman Britain. That part is not (and I emphasize the NOT) certain, however.

Perhaps it might be a further aid to identifying the compilation to say that it also contained the story of Isidor Fink, who died in New York City in 1929 under very unusual circumstances.

I live in the central part of the USA in the state of Oklahoma, in case anyone is wondering.

... does this place that is the subject of this thread sound the least bit familiar to anyone here?

Last edited by a moderator:
But getting back to the OP, does this place that is the subject of this thread sound the least bit familiar to anyone here?
Do you have any more details?
It doesn't ring a bell with me.

Do you have any more details?
It doesn't ring a bell with me.
No, and I realize that this is not a heck of a lot to go on. I just put a post on Fate's facebook page seeking at least the name of the book that I had. One other thing that I posted in their facebook page was that the compilation was published in the 1980's at the latest.

This is my first post here and I'm excited to be with you.

There is a place in the UK, that was discussed in a long-ago article in Fate. It is not a structure, that is, a castle, building or house, but rather, it is a place like a hill, forest, or meadow. The strange thing is that this place seems to be a deadly place, but only in the month of May. If memory serves, it was in England.

Does this sound familiar to anyone here?

It was told about in a early compilation of Fate articles, and I used to own the book, but it is now lost. I have written to the writer of the current compilation, and have also written to other well-known researchers in this field, as well as to the magazine itself, but have yet to get any response.

All of my efforts to find any information on this place have produced no results.

Perhaps some of you might be able to make some suggestions as to where I can look. In the meantime, I'll continue to look for the book.

Thanks for reading.
Chanctonbury/Clapham Wood?

Chanctonbury/Clapham Wood?
Thank you so much for that information. Clapham Wood is certainly a strange place isn't it?

Here is a link to one post in the Mysterious Britain website.

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england/occult/black-magic-in-clapham-and-sussex.html

The story in the link above reminded me of something, even though I don't believe it is the place that I am after. About 2/3rd of the way down, it mentions a chalk pit. The chalk pit mention jogged my memory and I think the location is or could be associated with a chalk pit. I'm not 100% on that however.

Once again, thank you for the clue!

Fate Magazine has told me on facebook that they will look for the article that started this fascinating thread. They posted that it might take a while, but they will try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone put together an index of Fate articles, and I think I might have located the title of the article I wanted. It might be "Mystery Of The Death Quarry"

I only came upon this thread a few minutes ago, but the opening post sounds to me like "What Killed Harry Dean?" in Harold T. Wilkins' Strange Mysteries of Time and Space:

""At dawn, on 10 May 1939, the police found the dead body of Dean lying at the foot of a curious boulder in an eerie, abandoned quarry, which has been called 'Death Quarry.' I believe that it has been the scene of more than one fatal accident in modern times. He lay huddled up and it looked as if he had fallen [after being] strangled." (p. 221)

Wilkins' chapter seems to toy with the idea that the boulder was once a dais for human sacrifice, and that the entity worshiped there thousands of years ago got tired of waiting for new sacrifices and went out and killed its own.

(I haven't read the Harry Dean chapter since the late '70s, yet that was the first thing I thought of in this thread. And here I thought my memory was going. But don't ask me what my Congressmen's names are.)

"lying at the foot of a curious boulder"

Was it genuinely curious or just mildly inquisitive?

In about a week, I'll solve they mystery (I hope). I just ordered a Fate compilation that I think has the story in it and Invisible Horizons by Gaddis. The Fate publication also has stories of a lake in Africa that seems to have an intense dislike for Europeans, and other stories. I'm really looking forward to getting it.

I'll keep you all updated.

The mystery is solved. The book arrived yesterday and the place is the quarry on Bredon Hill, near Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire. It also has the story of Fink and I was able to clear up a few details such as the landlord evicting him as he was past due on his rents: Fink owned the building so that, it seems, is out. I'll have to go through the book carefully and note some of what I mis-remembered from before.

Two more books coming--one by Vincent Gaddis (who wrote the article on Fink) and one by Rupert Furneaux.

Back