• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Video Anomaly

A

Anonymous

Query to photographic types out there...I was filming at a stone circle in Derbyshire over the weekend with my cheap mini camcorder (DV2000). Oddly, some of the footage shows a small purple object in the sky over the site (needless to say I am certain that no such object was present as we spent some time looking at cloud formations etc).

The object remains stationary throughout, ie, it moves in and out of shot but maintains the same relative position in the sky throughout. My first thought was that it was simply the sun and that the camera was 'blanking out' the glare in some way, but I shot some more footage directly into the setting sun without creating the same effect.

My feeling is that, much as I would love it to be otherwise, this is some kind of glitch. However, does anyone have any alternate
suggestions? I shall post a still when I have time to extract one.

And no, you may not ask what a prominent fictional Victorian character was doing in a stone circle at sundown (with my reputation).

Mr Hyde, may we see this video, can you grab it into your computer in some way? :)

Could it be a balloon? I would be interested in seeing an image.

Most of the in-camera problems that I know of would have burned an image in in the same location in every shot.

More - the object appears for about three seconds before it goes out of shot (as I say, it was stationary in the sky - the camera lady was following me and who can blame her? Ladies, keep your distance please). This is the best still I could extract.

The sky was clear apart from the odd bit of wispy cloud. Where the 'dot' appears is a rather spectacular view, so we were looking that way all the time.

Lovely stone circle by the way. Barlborough 2 it's classed as, on the Modern Antiquarian site, on Big Moor in Derbyshire.

I'm reckoning it's some sort of bird, artifacted into a blob by being out of focus and pixellated.

:)

It looks like (to me) like a weird video artifact being generated by a lens flare. Look at the direction & size of the lens flare at the lower right, and the size and relation of the "purple unknown", and I think you'll see what I mean.

It could also be a bug.... but I think lens flare problem causing a dark spot in an extremely light area...

(I am reminded of the "UFO" from the first few issues of the Invisibles)

I'm going with the lens flare. If you could see the footage (yes, I know) the object does not move at all, suggesting that it's a light effect rather than a solid item of any kind.

I'll see what I can put together - hang on...

MrHyde said:
More - the object appears for about three seconds before it goes out of shot (as I say, it was stationary in the sky

Can we see the others?

I'm going to try and string as many stills together as I can.

Watching it again is certainly odd - it does behave exactly like a balloon, ie, it 'hangs' rock steady as the camera pans off it.
If anyone has broadband and wants a look, I'm happy to mail them a copy.

The Invisibles, huh? Guess it must have been Barbelith. Check out my avatar for a hint of strange synchronicity...

Back