• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Warwickshire

EvilPumpkin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi all

Im planning a weekend trip to Warwick Castle with the other half this weekend and was wondering if any of you know of any (allegedly) haunted hotels in the area?

Many thanks :p

:shock: Wow, what an imposing place. Its beautiful. Prices perhaps a little out of my budget, but when Im up that way I will definitely check it out.

No worries :)

The prices are a bit steep aren't they?

There's a few "haunted pub" type places in the area, if that helps;

The Castle Inn, Edgehill
The White Swan, Stratford-on-Avon
The Old Mill Inn, Baginton

Baginton's the nearest to Warwick, but the place at Edgehill is the most "atmospheric"; it's in a nineteenth century folly that looks like a medieval tower, which overlooks a civil war battlefield which has loads of ghost stories about it. It's a nice spot, the food's good and they do a nice pint!

Go to Ettington Park at the weekend...i.e. saturday and/or sunday between the hours of 11am and 5pm. There should be a bald gentleman standing at reception wearing a suit, going by the name of Clive. If you drop into the hotel and ask him, he'll quite happily give you a tour of the hotel and relate all the ghost stories from the hotel for you.

Alternatively, there might be an elderlyish porter, and he is more the expert an the ghost stories, however, there is a possibility he might not be on duty.

Failing those, i could tell you where the best haunted rooms are in the hotel, however, it wouldnt be the same as being told while touring the building itself.

(and yeh, sorry about the prices...thats what you get with high class hotels im afraid...but its definitely worth it!!!)

Desecrated church at Kings Newnham

A forgotten vault, irregular burials, desecrated church, and a haunting in Kings Newnham

I’d driven past the turn off for Kings Newnham nearly every day for years, but it wasn’t until very recently that I decided to check out the ruined church tower and the legends that surround it.

My brother had first brought this place to my attention with a rather vague story about an excavation by the tower which had unearthed a long forgotten crypt containing some ‘irregular’ burials. The details were few, other than that the coffins were aligned in the wrong direction (I wasn’t aware that there was a right one), were made of lead, and when opened, the bodies were found in a remarkable state of preservation. This, coupled with a vague recollection of some associated hauntings made it worthy, I felt, of a visit and a little bit of research.

Kings Newnham is a tiny village on the banks of the river Avon in Warwickshire, just beyond the outskirts of Rugby. This handful of houses and farm buildings on the corner of a b road could be easily overlooked if it wasn’t for the imposing ruin of the church tower standing lonely and derelict over the rural surroundings.

My small party of friends and family approached the site across country from the remains of the Mott and Bailey castle (stories for another time) in nearby Brinklow. It was a cold but bright December day with a very hard frost that was showing no signs of thawing when we reached the ruined tower at around lunch time. The tower was very much as described in ‘The Beauties of England and Wales’ by EW Brayley and J Britton in around 1810:

“The church has been desecrated for many years, and little at present remains except the tower, which is rendered picturesque by a partial screen of ivy.”

Indeed the ivy screen was all present and correct after 200 years. Interestingly, it goes on to say:

“The cemetery is now converted to a rick-yard, which has been rendered level by a layer of bones.”

My ordinance survey map marked the site as “Church (remains of)”, but seemed to be slightly out of place, being on the wrong side of the road to the actual building, which is very close to the roadside and fenced within the private grounds of a farmhouse. Without seeking to gain entry to the tower, there was little more to be done than taking a few ‘picturesque’ photographs and then continuing on our walk. To be honest I hadn’t expected to find a staircase leading down to ancient catacombs, but I decided I would find out a little more about the legend of the crypt, the hauntings, and the history of the church.

A little bit of Googling led me to the story from my Brother’s seemed to derive. On www.visitoruk.com I found the following:

“Around 1850 Lord John Scott inherited the estate and one day after heavy rain, it was observed that water in the rick-yard which had formerly been the churchyard, drained away remarkably quickly. After investigations near the old tower, a water-filled underground vault was discovered containing several lead lined coffins. One coffin contained the body of Lady Audry Leigh who died in 1640 and could not have been more than 17 years old. Plates on other coffins showed that they contained the bodies of Francis, Earl of Chichester, Lady Chichester, Lord Dunsmore and Sir John Anderson. However, the most interesting and intriguing coffin was unnamed and had in it the remains of a man who had been beheaded, the head being separately prepared for burial and laid with the body. Around the neck was a black silk ribbon embroidered with the initials T.B. This and the other bodies had been embalmed and covered with rosemary and other herbs, but once the coffins had been opened and the remains exposed to the air, they rapidly disintegrated.”

Now this sounded very mysterious and interesting. A forgotten vault, a decapitated body with cryptic initials, corpses preserved in lead lined coffins covered with herbs. So perhaps there was something to my brother’s story after all. I really shouldn’t have been surprised when I heard from a friend who hailed from Rugby that, the ghost who haunts the village is actually a headless horseman. Of course!

Now the story from www.visitoruk.com above is referenced back to a book called The Warwickshire Village Book, written by members of the WI. It appears to be in print so I’m going to track it down and see if it contains any further references. I don’t have much more to offer at this point, although my friend from Rugby has promised to fill me with some more detail about the ghostly horseman and any other legends next time I see her. The Listed Buildings list states that the main body of the church was demolished in 1797, and there may be some more historical information to be found in ‘The Antiquities of Warwickshire’ (1656) by William Dugdale if I get round to trawling it. If anyone has any further information or comment then I would guess that here is the place to post it!

http://www.visitoruk.com/historydetail. ... 02&f=Rugby
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk ... t-laurence
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=nopC ... re&f=false

Photographs for previous post

Rugby-20121202-00296.jpg

IMG-20121202-00291.jpg

Head out to Lower Quinton, I reckon there might be some spookiness round there.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Walton_(murder_victim)

Obviously check out the Ghost Tower at Warwick Castle - although the last time I went it appeared to have been theme-parked-up a bit unfortunately. I bet Fulke Greville is a-spinnin' in his grave.

The crypt and chapter house of St Mary's church in Warwick are worth a look (as is the whole church, actually). If you're lucky you might get to go up the church tower, definitely worth a look.

Kenilworth Castle is a proper spookfest, and the Rollright Stones have a pretty special atmosphere.

CarlosTheDJ said:
Head out to Lower Quinton, I reckon there might be some spookiness round there.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Walton_(murder_victim)

Obviously check out the Ghost Tower at Warwick Castle - although the last time I went it appeared to have been theme-parked-up a bit unfortunately. I bet Fulke Greville is a-spinnin' in his grave.

The crypt and chapter house of St Mary's church in Warwick are worth a look (as is the whole church, actually). If you're lucky you might get to go up the church tower, definitely worth a look.

Kenilworth Castle is a proper spookfest, and the Rollright Stones have a pretty special atmosphere.

The Charles Walton/Meon hill case is a really good one, but I think it's been done to death and there's little more to be said on the matter. I visited that site about 17 years ago to have a bit of a nosey.

I did St Mary's (including tower and crypt) last year and it is a mine of fascinating history; I will surely come back to it later.

I really want to look into some of the lesser known and documented places:-

Guys Cliffe House: secret caves and tunnels, Guy of Warwick, Masonic Chapel, unusual dungeon/cellar, perpetual spring, Gavistons cross, Saxon Mill, Haunting, suspicious fire etc. etc. etc.)

Warwick's legendary tunnels: Advertised on the wall of the Punch Bowl pub but undocumented elsewhere, tunnel from Warwick Castle to St Mary's, under courthouse etc.

Aleister Crowley and Leamington Spa

The Holy Grail in Hill Wooten???

crystophalax said:
The Charles Walton/Meon hill case is a really good one, but I think it's been done to death and there's little more to be said on the matter. I visited that site about 17 years ago to have a bit of a nosey.

I did St Mary's (including tower and crypt) last year and it is a mine of fascinating history; I will surely come back to it later.

I really want to look into some of the lesser known and documented places:-

Guys Cliffe House: secret caves and tunnels, Guy of Warwick, Masonic Chapel, unusual dungeon/cellar, perpetual spring, Gavistons cross, Saxon Mill, Haunting, suspicious fire etc. etc. etc.)

Warwick's legendary tunnels: Advertised on the wall of the Punch Bowl pub but undocumented elsewhere, tunnel from Warwick Castle to St Mary's, under courthouse etc.

Aleister Crowley and Leamington Spa

The Holy Grail in Hill Wooten???

I'm pretty sure Guy's Cliffe is not publicly accesible :cry: and the Saxon Mill (next door) is a bloody gastro-pub! At least it's not a Harvester any more.....

I drank many a pint in the Punch Bowl in my younger years, and I remember the "legendary tunnels" sign....only reference I ever heard to them though! Undocumented indeed.......

I grew up in Warwick (if you hadn't guessed) and it's a goldmine of history and oddness....never found anywhere quite like it since I left.

What happened to this story...

Back in 2010 we were on the brink of a great revelation. A distinguished scholar was about to uncover the true identity of Shakespeare and unearth a box containing one of his lost manuscripts by inserting an endoscopic camera into the tomb of Fulke Greville in St. Mary's church Warwick. Permission had been granted and things were going to happen very soon. See:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... plays.html

And then... absolutely nothing.

Was the endoscopic camera inserted? Was anything found? I can't seem to find any kind of follow up to this story. I remember the tomb being mentioned in the FT which had Shakespeare as the cover story, but can't remember if this was pre or post 2010.

Another fortean letdown?

In 2011, someone started a blog about their hunt for the legendary tunnels that supposed run under Warwick.

http://warwickunderground.blogspot.co.u ... mment-form

It seems to have petered out and the OP hasn't posted anything since not long after it was started. A few people have requested or offered information in dribs and drabs over the last three years. The most interesting post is from Adrian King who summarises the key points of the legend very well:-

"Being involved with Guy's Cliffe for many years I have looked into the tunnels of Warwick and have conversed with many who have echoed Warwick Kid's mentioning an hole in Priory Park as well as information on other entries about the town. I am led to believe the hole in Priory Park was filled in by the council after a boy got lost for a worrying length of time in them? The rumoured tunnel from/to Guy's Cliffe is said to have been encountered upon the cutting of the canal. Bertie Greatheed, a former owner of Guy's Cliffe in the late 1700's/early 1800's may have known of these as he was involved with the Canal and Gas works? A tunnel linking Guy's Cliffe to the priory of St. Sepulchre (at Priory Park) then onwards towards St. Mary's and the castle with branches about the town would have been advantageous if ever the castle/walled town became besieged, so perhaps its existence should not be dismissed out of hand as it often is. My uncle a Warwick lad told me of his time as a choirboy at St. Marys and after one practice was apparently shown an entrance into the tunnels from a hatch located under what he termed the seats at the high altar. Existent entries are said to be found in the cellar of the newsagents opposite the shire hall and again in a cellar of the dispensary on Castle street and below the corner slab found along the tink-a-tank alleyway.
The Punch bowl pub does not now have an access into the tunnels. The map interestingly brings the tunnel under the A429 Coventry road island and that island has a curious vent located upon it? Perhaps not related to the tunnel(s) is a recollection that was told to me that may also be of interest? This was that back in 1960's in the field opposite Guy's Cliffe there appeared a hole, which upon the farmers inspection had collapsed into a cavity that showed a way into a tunnel which went under the river towards the property of Guys Cliffe, it was subsequently filled in shortly after. I am not too sure how valid this is though as I have heard no other mention of this." -Adrian King

It's a bit strange that he references comments from someone with the handle "Warwick Kid" who doesn't appear on the blog, so maybe posts have been deleted or he's discussing another forum. If anyone does have information on the legendary Warwick tunnels then surely this (FT message board) is the place for it!

My mate runs the Punch Bowl, and there are indeed bricked-up entrances to somewhere in the cellars.

Thanks Carl, I think we know the same people as I have also explored that line of enquiry.

In fact, without this sounding too creepy, I kind of know who you are as we were friends at school and are still on Facebook. I wouldn't have twigged but your avatar does look very like you in real life. :D I'll PM you the details...

Anyway, I didn't join this forum to stalk you, or anyone... honest. So back to the tunnels. The landlord of the Punch Bowl told me the entrance(s) from there had been lost under some new flooring that they have had recently installed, so that line of enquiry has reached a dead end. However, it seems that anyone who has worked in any of the establishments in the old part of the town has stories about tunnels leading off from the cellars, although most of these appear to have been bricked up for understandable security reasons. I think it's a fair assumption that there are some tunnels down there, but the questions are:- How far do they go, where do they go, and how interconnected are they?

:lol:

No worries Crys.

The tunnels under Priory Park were definitely a 'thing' back in the day if I remember correctly. I have a vague recollection of stories from people who worked at the Porridge Pot, and the Lord Leycester hotel.

Back