• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Doppelgänger Encounter?

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Preface: This happened sometime around 2001 when I was at Stafford College and I'm generally a sceptical but open-minded person.

My best friend at the time and I used to wear quite identifiable coats when we were at college together. His was a bright yellow number and mine was a blue England training jacket. At the end of each day we would come out of the college and wait at the bus stop opposite which, of course, happened at the same time each day and we would catch the same bus.

One day, however, we came out of the college and were met with the sight of two people wearing the exact same coats and trousers as us, sat in the same positions we normally would and - although I don't particularly remember what their faces looked like - they were of similar build. Basically, if you were looking for us and had seen us that day then you'd think we were these two people.

The strangest thing is that, without speaking a word, we were both so freaked out that we walked straight past the bus stop and just kept walking. I think we both exchanged a "that was weird!" and caught the bus somewhere else but then, bizarrely, have never spoken about it again since.

So, what happened? Was it a prank by people who saw us there at the same time every day (which wouldn't really be that unusual outside a college) and wanted to freak us out? Was it a shared hallucination? Was it really two people who looked a lot like us and coincidentally were wearing the same clothes?!

I'll never know, of course, but I think about it all the time.

Preface: This happened sometime around 2001 when I was at Stafford College and I'm generally a sceptical but open-minded person.

My best friend at the time and I used to wear quite identifiable coats when we were at college together. His was a bright yellow number and mine was a blue England training jacket. At the end of each day we would come out of the college and wait at the bus stop opposite which, of course, happened at the same time each day and we would catch the same bus.

One day, however, we came out of the college and were met with the sight of two people wearing the exact same coats and trousers as us, sat in the same positions we normally would and - although I don't particularly remember what their faces looked like - they were of similar build. Basically, if you were looking for us and had seen us that day then you'd think we were these two people.

The strangest thing is that, without speaking a word, we were both so freaked out that we walked straight past the bus stop and just kept walking. I think we both exchanged a "that was weird!" and caught the bus somewhere else but then, bizarrely, have never spoken about it again since.

So, what happened? Was it a prank by people who saw us there at the same time every day (which wouldn't really be that unusual outside a college) and wanted to freak us out? Was it a shared hallucination? Was it really two people who looked a lot like us and coincidentally were wearing the same clothes?!

I'll never know, of course, but I think about it all the time.
Ha - this reminds of the time decades ago when I was walking round an outdoor winter antiques fair with the then current Ms PeteS. We were holding hands and she let go to look at something on a stall. I wandered off and was distracted by a book stall when she returned and took hold of my hand again, while I sifted through some books. After a couple of minutes we looked at each other and realised we were holding hands with the wrong person. It was fairly dark under the stall's canopy, but when hubby turned up he was wearing the same huge blue jacket as me, was the same height, and had long grey hair like me. I subsequently got a lecture from ex Ms PeteS about the extent to which I paid attention to her.

My younger son, when at Uni in Sheffield, had a double. People were always telling him they'd seen him in so-and-sos when he'd been elsewhere. Eventually they encountered one another in a night club and had a whale of a time together. BUT NOBODY TOOK ANY PICTURES which enrages me.

Although younger son, certainly a few years back, was generic, 'round faced, half stubbled, short spiky haired six foot male in jeans and sweatshirt'. Half of Sheffield probably looked a lot like him. Let's just hope it was the male half.

Over twenty years ago I was walking toward the barrier to catch my train home and saw myself walking the other way. The other me was wearing the same colour and style of coat and looked exactly like me. There were no reflective surfaces there and I've wondered whether it was some sort of timeslip where I was seeing myself arriving for work as I was going home.

I saw a double of me one day and said "Hey how you doing? Wanna have some fun?" ;)
(How vain is that) :)

Last edited:
Back