• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

More than 10 years after being executed, Saddam Hussein remains a huge presence in the life of one man.

The marine engineer in India does not blame his grandfather for giving him the Iraqi dictator's name 25 years ago.

But after being refused a job some 40-odd times, he has concluded employers are loath to hire him - even if his name is marginally different - spelt Hussain, not Hussein.

So he went to court to become Sajid. But the wheels of bureaucracy are turning slowly - and so is his search for a job.

It may never have opened many doors in India - and has raised eyebrows and grins elsewhere - but one thing was guaranteed: a name like Saddam Hussain was not likely to pass unnoticed.

Two years after graduating from Tamil Nadu's Noorul Islam University, the man from Jamshedpur in Jharkhand is feeling the strain.

He did well at college, and his classmates have already found jobs, but shipping companies turn him away. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-39319897?ocid=socialflow_twitter

people I have personally encountered:

Dr Bonecutter, an orthopedic surgeon.
Reverend Parson
Claude Hopper
Chastity Keepers
George Sargent, who was a police sergeant. So he was Sergeant Sargent.
A high school classmate surnamed Parts who enlisted in the Army after graduation. I lost track of him after enlistment so I do not know how being Private Parts worked out.

I've recently come across:

Lieut-Colonel William Edmund Pollexfen Bastard

He served with the Royal Engineers during WW1. He was made Lt-Colonel of the Devonshire Fortress Engineers in 1915. In 1923 he was High Sheriff of Devon. Lt-Col Bastard lived at Lyneham House, Yealmpton, Devon.

I've recently come across:

Lieut-Colonel William Edmund Pollexfen Bastard

He served with the Royal Engineers during WW1. He was made Lt-Colonel of the Devonshire Fortress Engineers in 1915. In 1923 he was High Sheriff of Devon. Lt-Col Bastard lived at Lyneham House, Yealmpton, Devon.
A relative of Alan B'Stard?

One of our neighbors had the unusual first name of Orbit. He was born during the time of the Mercury space program and his mother was inspired by it. I always thought it was a nice name. (His last name was completely ordinary BTW :))

One of our neighbors had the unusual first name of Orbit. He was born during the time of the Mercury space program and his mother was inspired by it. I always thought it was a nice name. (His last name was completely ordinary BTW :))
A couple I know have called their daughter Storm which I think is a pretty cool name, she's partly been named Storm because of some comic book super hero (I've never heard of her) and partly because she was conceived during a storm :cool: .. I wonder which parent will tell her the whats and whys when she's old enough to ask? :) ... I was named after a noisy kid in a hotel room next door to my parent's room when they were on their honeymoon, my Mum just liked the sound of his name ... they drove past it once when I was about 16 and my Mum pointed out this crumbling derelict old building on a Spanish resort and she said "Look! .. that's where you were conceived !".

35a69b30a2dae213852057fb01e84c52.jpg

A friend put me on to this today. A horse called Potoooooooo.

http://www.horsenation.com/2014/11/18/potoooooooo-the-unbelievably-legitimate-story-of-a-racehorse/

Legends differ somewhat, but the gist of the story remains the same: Potatoes, as the colt was known, was bed by Willoughby Bertie, the fourth Earl of Abingdon, out of Sportsmistress by the legendary Eclipse and born in 1773. The story goes that a stable lad, misunderstanding the horse’s name (or intentionally being a goofball) broke down the word “potatoes” into “pot”… plus eight O’s. So the horse’s feed bin sported the name “Potoooooooo” which gave all the boys a good laugh and apparently also amused the Earl of Abingdon greatly. The horse actually ran under the name “Potoooooooo” for a few starts until it was finally shortened to “Pot8os.”

The author of this article, being somewhat sceptical actually went through breeding records and found that indeed there are Pot8os in there.

Not really fair to call the name weird given than it isn't English, but this tailor's card from the 50s has a different connotation today.

View attachment 5355
Worth noting that the characters are pronounced more like 'gum gay' in Cantonese. And yes, there's a lot of places called things like 'Fuk Man Street' here.

Edit:

O4CWBkB.jpg

I've already got one, thanks

Back