• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Phone Calls From Unknown Lover

What about me?

Hey, I want some weird calls - I can leave my number :D

" if she phones again, log the number"

Would love to, but it was blocked.

Ironically enough, I got a call from someone about a bizarre message I left on their voicemail - I got the wrong number from a list and their voicemail did not identify them, so they were completely baffled by the message about an incriminating website I had found.

A couple of years ago, I received a series of very bizarre messages on my answering machine from a blocked number. It was a guy with a very creepy voice leaving disturbing messages for a woman named Tracy. 'Cept I didn't know any Tracy. I got the impression that he was either a jilted ex of hers or just a uberscary obsessed stalker. And he was VERY obsessed. He made all these rambling statements about how he didn't care WHAT the cops did to him, and then he dared her to call the cops on him. And stuff like him not being sure if he LOVED her or HATED her more. I got a very "this will end in murder/suicide" vibe by the whole thing.

Suffice it to say, by the third message left on my machine in as many days I was so freaked out that I was seriously contemplating calling the police myself just so they could warn that poor woman. It cost me a lot of sleep over the next week.

But then they stopped. About a year later, I was hanging out with a friend of mine in a bar and I ended telling him this story. He blushed and then confessed that he was behind it. He had bought a CD by a band he liked. In addition to this group's songs the CD had also included these actual messages that were apparently left on a female friend of the band's answering machine by an unbalanced suitor. My friend would get drunk, find a choice selection from the CD and then put his phone up to his speaker when my answering machine picked up.

Why in the name of God did he do this to me, you ask? "Just messing with you," he said. Prick.

That voice will haunt my dreams til the day I die!

When I read this, I immediately thought of these sort of phone calls:

http://www.wind-ups.co.uk/

I think the person doing the prank can control the voice by pressing buttons, as to respond to certain things you say... Do you have any devious friends who might do such a thing?

I had a message on my answer phone a few years ago shouting things along the line of. "Leave my family alone, I don't know what the hell you are trying to do to us but stop phoneing or I'll call the police. I know it's you because I've got your number from 1471". Thing was that I had been away for a month! 1471 was new the so I wonder if it was working properly.

Hubby was an unwitting crack caller. He didn't relise that his new mobile had a poor key lock. One day there was a message on his voice mail saying. "I don't know who you are but I've had your number blocked so you can stop pissing me of". He could tell that it was his friend Aaron. Hubby had a new phone and hadn't given Aaron his number as he hadn't seen him for a year or so. Aaron was the first name on his address book and the phone kept callig him when it was in his pocket!

When I was a teenager,the popular crank call was for several people to call a number and ask for (insert name) and after they had all called and thouroghly aggrivated the person,the last call would be from the person they were all asking for, who would say , hello this is (name here) ,have there been any calls for me? By then the person recieving the calls, being enraged would invariably start spouting obsenities at them.
Much to their delight.

wembley8 said:
My caller was definitely adult. No follow-up, so it doesn't seem to be a stalker.

Prank or wrong number? I'm toying with the idea that it's an actor who's really 'getting into' her role by doing a few exercises....
It was quite possibly one of those prank call lines. Somebody wanting to play a bad practical joke on a friend will give them the number, and the friend then gets a prankster ringing them pretending to be an angry father ("My daughter is pregnant - what are you going to do about it??"), or rejected lover or something.
So, who do you know would do a thing like that to you?

We had a spate of odd messages being left on the voicemail system at work. It sounds like kids, but could be very scary for someone of a nervous disposition.

Have a listen to a compilation here: http://sr2.mytempdir.com/128544

The best bit is at the end, it sounds like a parent coming into the room to tell them to stop it!

"It was quite possibly one of those prank call lines. "

Yeah, I did a search on those but they don't seem to be interactive, just recorded segments. This was definitely a live if deranged human being.

We wondered whether any friends or anyone would let slip anything about a 'joke' , but nothing. It seemed very malicious, but then I suppose a lot of practical jokes are.

On the subject of accidental mobile calls, a friend once told me about a client of his who had discovered that her boyfriend was a) seeing another woman and b) dealing in drugs (which he said he had stopped doing) when he failed to hang up after a call and she kept listening in. Dangerous things, mobiles!

A member of my family received a prank call from another family member. He explained that it was a recorded message that you play once the person has picked up. This one was about a pizza delivery man wanting his money... he kept saying 'come outside i want my f@@@ing money' etc.......i couldn't understand why he didn't know the house number! as it was a recorded message we were getting no where is him so we just hung up... :no-no:

OK I'm sat here on my own at home at 3 in the afternoon (yes my middle name is sick note) reading this thread and I was thinking 'I bet I get some weird phone call that'll freak me out after reading this'. The phone literally just rang and someone asked for 'Ozabal Rendol'. Not only is that the strangest name I've ever heard, when I told the guy he had the wrong number he quoted my correct phone number back to me. Naturally, 1471 said his number was unlisted.
So now I'm completely freaked out!!! Gaaaahhhh!!! :shock:

I don't think I've posted this before but if I have, sorry.
About 3 weeks ago, my sister was having cell phone trouble so I told her she could call me up until midnight if she needed me since I'm usually up that late anyway. Lo and behold, shortly after midnight my cell phone rings and I answer it, figuring it's her but it wasn't. There were some strange sounds and then nothing. The caller ID said blocked #. Now, not even 5 minutes later, my husband's work cell phone rings! This was on a Friday night (or Saturday morning, dpending on your point of view) and no one from work should have been calling him. He didn't answer it before the caller hung up because at first, we couldn't figure out where the ringing was coming from since he'd left it in his laptop bag and the sound was very faint. he checked the caller ID and there was no #. Anyway, to make a long story longer, my cell phone rang again and this time a voice said "Helloooo" then nothing. It sounded like a young man. Again, the number was blocked. I'm trying to remember if my husband's work cell rang again or not but if it did, I know that there wasn't a # listed. The weird thing is, these are cell phones with 2 totally different #s from 2 seperate cellular companies so if someone was pranking at random, how could they get both of our phones within minutes of each other?
There is one possibility that I have mostly ruled out. We work for the same company and a few of the people in my department are prone to practical jokes. Three of these people, one of whom is a young man, went away together the same weekend this happened. Two of the 3 have my cell phone # and I suppose it's possible they could have written down my husband's work cell phone from the list at work. I mentioned this incident the following Monday to them but got no feeling that it HAD been them pranking us but that's the only real explanation I can come up with.

snowberry1 said:
OK I'm sat here on my own at home at 3 in the afternoon (yes my middle name is sick note) reading this thread and I was thinking 'I bet I get some weird phone call that'll freak me out after reading this'. The phone literally just rang and someone asked for 'Ozabal Rendol'. Not only is that the strangest name I've ever heard, when I told the guy he had the wrong number he quoted my correct phone number back to me. Naturally, 1471 said his number was unlisted.
So now I'm completely freaked out!!! Gaaaahhhh!!! :shock:

Sounds like the kind of thing that John Keel experienced.

I got yall beat!

I get roughly 15-20 phone calls a day at my home number with nothing but silence and sometimes the sound of breathing and the movement of the handset. theres never anyone there I've gotten to the point I dont ever answer my house phone I only keep the line for my DSL. It rings and rings as long as the other end can hold out presumably. The weirdest part is NO ONE has this number the only one I give out for any purpose business or personal is my cellular.

Number unlisted

I wonder Spike, if you had that line installed yourself, or whether you took up the existing number when you moved into your house?

If the latter, then perhaps the mystery caller believes they are phoning the previous occupant of you address, unaware that that person has moved - they may well have had the number then.

If the former, and you have never given the number out to anyone, not even over the internet(?) then it does seem very weird.

Have you tried contacting the phone company?

Could be a prankster called the number at random, and continues to call it over and over again.

Or it could be those d*** telemarketers, or people canvasing for charities, which is worse, because one feels bad telling them that one will not donate anything (which of course is exactly what they want! Guilt donations!)

a few years back, i shared a flat with 2 others, and one of the lads girlfriends used to stay and she answered the phone on at least two occasions that i remember when the caller simply made a chattering noise with his teeth, and even when she put the phone down and picked it up after a moment it continued, it scared the hell out of her at the time.

Wow.
I would have died.

Brr...

I had something like this happen at work a few weeks ago that I forgot about until tonight and this thread reminded me. I check the voice mail every morning at work and one of the messages was a woman talking to someone else. She sounded like she didn't realise she had dialed the phone or reached a machine. I can't remember what she said, really, but I remember there was a bit about the person she was talking to might kill her but she didn't sound afraid. I was freaked by this and saved the message to check the rest. The next one was also from this lady! She went on in the same vein and I think mentioned something about god and this other person killing her being okay. "You might kill me and I know you want to kill me" sort of thing. BUt she never sounded afraid or worried! I saved that message, too, then went to my supervisor and told her. I was shaky, to say the least. My supe said she'd take care of it but I never asked what happened, whether she called the police or not. There was a phone number that our machine said the call came from so they would have had something to work with. I almost want to ask my supe what she did about the calls but I think I should just let it go.

I had a very weird telephone experience.

I was watching a programme about UFOs late one night, when the phone rang. Before I could answer it, my answerphone message kicked in (much quicker than it normally would do), and I heard my usual "I'm not in please leave your number" message being played but in SLOW MOTION. Like you do when you're trying to make your voice deep and scary. Then at the end of the message there was a cackling of "diabolical" laughter. I had hardly recovered from the experience, when the same thing happend again.

These are the only two times my 'phone has done that. Really eldritch.

Bloody Hell :shock:

Where is my blanket....

ohhh WHAT is that film where you watch the video, then the phone rings... oh... the ring. I'm so stupid. Then you die.

PLEASE DONT RING PLEASE DONT RING :(

cassandra78 said:
ohhh WHAT is that film where you watch the video, then the phone rings... oh... the ring. I'm so stupid. Then you die.

PLEASE DONT RING PLEASE DONT RING :(

Did it ring? I hope not!

plusk said:
I had a very weird telephone experience.

I was watching a programme about UFOs late one night, when the phone rang. Before I could answer it, my answerphone message kicked in (much quicker than it normally would do), and I heard my usual "I'm not in please leave your number" message being played but in SLOW MOTION. Like you do when you're trying to make your voice deep and scary. Then at the end of the message there was a cackling of "diabolical" laughter. I had hardly recovered from the experience, when the same thing happend again.

These are the only two times my 'phone has done that. Really eldritch.

I would have left that house and never gone back. Ever.

I'm still living there and its OK.

I think there must be a rational explanation, or if there was something supernatural going on it may have been a one-off triggered by my mental reaction to the UFO programme.

I was petrified at the time, but now look back on it with equanimity - after all if it was a ghost/spirit it only tried to scare me - didn't do anything really bad.

This one fits more in the vein of "practical jokes" than freaky. One of my mates dated a girl whose phone number was just a digit or two different from their local benefits agency office. She was forever getting calls from people asking where their f***ing giro was.

One day, the phone rang and my friend picked it up to get the expected stream of abuse. The conversation proceeded as such:

"Excuse me, Sir. How did you get this phone number?"

"What?"

"This is an unlisted government phone number Sir. How did you get this phone number?"

"Er I got it from a phone book."

"I don't think so Sir. This is an unlisted government phone number. I'd like to know who gave you this phone number? No, actually never mind. We've traced your location. We'll be paying you a visit."

Before he ended the call. A few minutes later, my friend had another idea and called 1471 before calling the number back (141 prefixed) with a simple.

"They know who you are. Get out. For God's sake! GET OUT NOW!!!!!!"

Never fails to make me laugh.

I've twice had people get really riled with me for phoning them as a wrong number. One was a blood bank or something and was some kind of unlisted blood-bank bat-phone so he got really arsey with me and asked how i got the number and went on and on about how i had to clear the line as it was an emergency line blah blah as if i'd done it deliberately. Only I couldn't clear the line as he was having a go at me!

The other one was the other day, i dialled wrong again clearly and the guy said 'can you STOP PHONING ME for god's sake!' '...but, i never have before...!' 'well you did just the other week! can you just stop it!' '...but, it wasn't me...'

Twat.

OK not fortean. Maybe this should go in the vent-your-anger thread.

Back