• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Remains of Unknown Animal

A

Anonymous

Was hiking through a canyon in Arizona last month en route to a hotspring when we came upon a strange place indeed.

A campfire circle had been built and in it were the bones of some dog-sized animal. It had been picked clean except for this leg here (photo attached).

There was no skull present or I would have photographed the head and teeth.

At the time i believed it was probably a campfire where a hunter had killed or eaten a javelina or peccary (wild pig native to the desert southwest) but peccaries have hooves as do all pigs. This has hard pads on the foot with claws apparently fixed out and un-retractable. Brown, short fur.

I don't know what it could be. Dogs, I think ( don't own one) have softer pads and claws are not so big.

Also, whoever ate it may not have roasted it based on the un-charred nature of the leg?

So was this a case of - 1) some unknown person, built a campfire, dismembered and ate (raw) the unknown animal at the fire, or 2) the campfire predated the remains, and some unknown predator had fortuitously killed and consuimed the majority of the unknown animal at the campfire site at a later date.

Sorry there is no scale object. Like I said the rib cage and limbs were about "dog sized". The remaining foot and limb visible here was about 1 foot/30 cm long to where the fur ends and bone begins.

Mountain lion/puma/cougar? Something of that nature?

I think the pads fit, but can't remember if the claws on big cats retract or not.

I showed this to someone with some experience in this area; their view was that it's not a good enough picture to say. Tentative guess is German Shepherd or similar.

The pads may harden post-mortem as they dehydrate, and claws appear longer for the same reason.

Cause of death could be anything, but sounds like it has been quite well scavenged...

Certainly canine, could be coyote. Bones look (as best as I can see) like they were really cleaned up well. I would guess the fire and the remains aren't related. Unless a coyote came upon the camp, got shot for its troubles, and the carcass was left for scavengers.

>Is your contact familiar with Southern African small mammals?

Only if they're known in the UK as pets, I'm afraid. (Jerboa? Degu?)

Back