• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Are Highland Cows Actually For?

St.Clair said:
P.S I was nearly killed by one that was reared on a normal farm. I live among fields whose cows are feedable by hand. I take the kids down to laugh at their stupid expressions. I was trying to feed one some grass when it lunged at full force towards my chest with those devestatingly sharp horns. I pulled back and escaped a skewering or steaking (excuse the pun) I luckily came away with a pin prick mark on my ribs that hurt but was not terribly serious.

Any animal bigger than you should be handled from behind a fence, or by trained handlers. These animals, though massively changed by farming from their ancestors, are still wild animals at heart. They can get used to humans but you can never be sure what they are thinking.
It's not their fault - we just need to be a bit more intelligent and not judge by appearances.
I always fed our big'n'hairy through a fence. You need to respect captive animals just as much as wild animals.

pinkle

It's only a year or two since a farmer's wife was trampled to death by a herd of ordinary dairy cattle when she went to feed them.

ghost dog said:
met a wolf eye to eye...but the milk from one ...whats that like...I was raised on unparsturised milk you see...
Your name wouldn't be Romulus, or possibly Victor by any chance, would it?

Back to basics..

St.Clair said:
What are Highland Cows actually for?

Equal rights for Highland Cows, maybe..

Or possibly the Liberal Democrats.

St Clair, south of the border Scotch Beef (and possibly milk, but I've never checked) is sold by all the posh supermarkets at a premium price. I've always assumed that this was from (and indeed of) highland cows... rumour has it that highland cattle are immune to BSE and also have the good (?) fortune to taste better.

I may have made the BSE bit up, but I'm sure I read it somewhere or a friend of a friend told me or something :D

Jane.

They are extinct in the wild, but there are a few farms that have them, and there are plans to reintrodice them :)

re:- highland cattle

when me & my younger bro whent on a daytrip to glasgow(in the summer holidays) with our mam and dad by train we saw highland cattle for the fisrt tome (having grown up in semi rural area with ordenarni cows, without horns) he said, quote "look holiday cows!!!" unquote. so my dad asked him what he ment so my bro replyed, quote "because theyve got their horns on" unquote (he was about 5/6 yrs old @ the time) and so ever since theyre bin known as holiday cows

thats the reason why highland cattle exist!!!!!!

next well be discussing the lifestyle and mating habits of the haggis (so tune in next time)(so who says that fortean thinngys have no educational value???)

Back