• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Is Better Than A Hyperdrive For Intergalactic Travel?

Maximum7

Fresh Blood
I’m trying to write a Star Wars story about someone who figures out a way to travel FTL between galaxies. Hyperspace doesn’t work in the Intergalactic Void, and there is a hyperspace disturbance at the edge of the galaxy blocking travel anyway. I was trying to think of an alternative method of traveling the distance. This drive I envision could ONLY be used in the intergalactic void (so it can’t replace hyperdrive). It allows travel through the void very quickly but NOT instantaneously and there is a weird quantum glitch where the inhabitants of the ship need to wait 2 hours before piercing the veil of another galaxy or weird quantum things could happen to their ship.

Anyway I originally thought of a superfluid vacuum drive but I did a lot of research and it’s unlikely the universe is a superfluid. I know Star Wars science is soft as a marshmallow but I want some fake science that sounds realistic. Can anyone help me? I can’t think of anything.

Wormholes already exist in Star Wars.

There are a couple of Star Wars books (whether they remain "canon" I dont know) where the Jedi Council launches an intergalactic caravan of ships. If I remember correctly the caravan includes a group of Jedi who combine their Force powers to enable the caravan to successfully navigate the hyperspace disturbance.

The Dillon-Wagoner Graviton Polarity Generator, colloquially known as the Spindizzy, provides anti-gravity, ftl travel and shielding. It becomes more effective with increasing mass making it feasible to fly entire cities, or by hooking it up to a planet to cross galaxies and the void between between them in hours.

Id try Wormholes myself.

Seeing as the Rakata were so desperate to get hold of a way of using them. (Dawn of the Jedi comics)

And notice a certain Lady Tano favours wormhole travel.

I’m trying to write a Star Wars story about someone who figures out a way to travel FTL between galaxies. Hyperspace doesn’t work in the Intergalactic Void, and there is a hyperspace disturbance at the edge of the galaxy blocking travel anyway. I was trying to think of an alternative method of traveling the distance. This drive I envision could ONLY be used in the intergalactic void (so it can’t replace hyperdrive). It allows travel through the void very quickly but NOT instantaneously and there is a weird quantum glitch where the inhabitants of the ship need to wait 2 hours before piercing the veil of another galaxy or weird quantum things could happen to their ship.

Anyway I originally thought of a superfluid vacuum drive but I did a lot of research and it’s unlikely the universe is a superfluid. I know Star Wars science is soft as a marshmallow but I want some fake science that sounds realistic. Can anyone help me? I can’t think of anything.

Wormholes already exist in Star Wars.
How about a series of engineered stargates that propel your ship like a rail gun projectile?
Compute the course and the more you travel through, the faster you go.

How about a series of engineered stargates that propel your ship like a rail gun projectile?
Compute the course and the more you travel through, the faster you go.
And of course, you could quantum teleport the stargates into position ahead of you.
Simple!

The Epstein Drive is sublight, so you wouldn't want to use that.
------------
I like the idea of projected wormhole gates. Of course, if you could project something as big as wormhole gate, why not just project the ship itself, using the same quantum teleportation. Cut out the middle man.
------------
I had an idea many decades ago, called an exclusion field. This made it literally impossible for the ship to exist an a particular location, but because mass/energy/information must be conserved, it would then start to exist somewhere else in the universe, (hopefully) in a location of your choosing. Stephen Baxter described a very similar process in his Xeelee sequence, which he calls the Suzy drive (Supersymmetry drive).

However, both the Supersymmetry drive and my Exclusion drive are effectively instant, and also quite unreliable. So you would get to where you are going in zero time, but it might not always be where you want to be.

----------------
You also need to consider the effects of simultaneity and time dilation when designing a FTL drive; any ship travelling faster than light can inadvertently become a time machine, assuming relativity is true in your universe.

I like the idea of projected wormhole gates. Of course, if you could project something as big as wormhole gate, why not just project the ship itself, using the same quantum teleportation. Cut out the middle man.
Well... the teleportation process may not be as safe as the space drive or the wormholes.

The Jedi navigation effort I mentioned earlier, it has the goal of intergalactic travel.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Outbound_Flight_Project

The hyperspace disturbance outside the galaxy doesnt seem to be a purely physical barrier so much as an issue preventing successful hyperspace navigation by a ship's computers. The Outbound Flight project got around that by essentially using Force navigation, though it required a significant number of Jedi to do so.

In theory you could have a Jedi sufficiently talented at that aspect of the force to make it possible, or someone has invented a ship's computer capable of dealing with hyperspace disturbances and the prototype has been fitted aboard your ship (along with the designer aboard). You'd want to make sure you closed off those plot mcmuffins though if you intended this to be a one time thing.

Well... the teleportation process may not be as safe as the space drive or the wormholes.
That's true; some people (such as Dr McCoy) are hesitant to use teleportation, since it may have the consequence of killing the teleportee and reincarnating them. Some people might not like that.

"Don't Panic!"
Just use the Infinite Improbability Drive.

"The Infinite Improbability Drive was a wonderful new method of crossing interstellar distances in a mere nothingth of a second, without "tedious mucking about in hyperspace."
It was discovered by lucky chance and then developed into a governable form of propulsion by the Galactic Government's research centre on Damogran. As soon as the drive reaches infinite Improbability, it passes through every conceivable point in every conceivable universe simultaneously. An incredible range of highly improbable things can happen due to these effects."

https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Infinite_Improbability_Drive

Back