• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Is It About Occultists & Holy Island?

llkit

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
recently found out my bible bashing fundamentalist father used to be in some sort of Satanic Cult. He apparently had some wierd stuff happen to him at Holy Island which converted him to hard core christianity.

What is it about Holy Island?

His wierd experiences happened in the late 70s and he won t really talk about them. Me and my bros are dying to know what happened to him there as he really is a bit nuts!

Thanx Hannah

how did you come to hear?

if it's through him then why tell you if he's not going to talk. If it's another way then follow that?

Lindisfarne is lovely... when I rule the world I'm goingt o live in Lindisfarne Castle :D

Kath

he won t tell me cos he thinks the devil owns my soul (seriously). One of my bros told me and when i asked my gran (my fathers mum) i was expecting her to laugh it off. Instead she asked me how i knew and feigned forgetfulness when i asked for details!

Families ay?

I just want to know why Holy Island in particular? Does it have legends attached to it etc...

How can the devil own your soul? Is that from your father's perspective? Is it because you disagree with him? There was a youth minister at my church that had been very heavy into drugs and music seen in sixties and seventies and when he became a christian very to the right. I think that there are some people that have to be one extreme or the other.

it is basically cos i disagreed with him. i also smoked a joint wheni was 15 which really was the beginning of the end...
whats really annoying tho is that he has been quite liberal with my bros, my 16yr old bros allowed his girlfriends round!!! one rule for the girls another for the boys i guess

His accusations annoyed me all the more as i have never had anything to do with occultism, it seems to me that he was projecting his fears onto me! My bros and i want to know more about what happened on the Island as it obviously had a really deep affect on him

I can relate. I grew up in a VERY religious house. Well my mom was religous my dad not at all. It is funny when I was about twelve my dad had this sex/drugs talk very open if you are curious let me know, if you want to have sex we will put you on the pill kind of thing. I was twelve and completely not interested so put off by the whole thing. Well when I got to the age to actually be interested in boys and such they both freaked out. When they finally found out I was sleeping with my boyfriend they treated me like the whore of babylon. I was in my first year of college. I think parents just project their fears about past mistakes on their kids. I never experimented with drugs but my sister did and they acted like she was an addict. Just remember parents are human and fallible. I am sure my daughter will be just as damaged by me, just in different ways. I wouldn't worry about what happened to your dad, worry about what you believe, find your faith. The only one responsible for you is you. Who knows maybe when your dad finally realizes you are a grown up he will share his experience with you.

cheers for the support, unfortunatley with me and him its never going to work, its hard to forgive someone who banned you from seeing your little bros for seven years.
i am happy with my life and have my own personal ideas about the ultimate concept (my little name for God- too many pre concieved ideas come to the surface when you mention the word 'god'), i am just fascinated by all things fortean and my dads wierd experiences made me wonder if Holy Island is a fortean hot spot. its very name inplies so!

Probably the weirdest thing I ever saw on Holy Island was Donald
Pleasance in drag.

Not witnessed during my visit to the island some years ago but
on first looking into Polanski's Cul-de-sac. :eek!!!!:

Ilkit... are you familiar with the known history/archaeology of lindisfarne? you might be able to swot up and then leave trailers in conversations.....

could be he was "just" trapped by teh tide of course!

Kath

First of all what are trailers?( V new to the internet)

Do you know of any good sites, i am suspicious of overly official ones, this is since i went to the Dominican Republic, tried to find stuff RE voodoo and culture etc... if you believed all the blurb i found you d think they were all Catholics with a mostly Western Culture! FT seems to be the best place to ask wierd questions, but i will have a search and see what i find. Ta.

Id love to go to Lindisfarne.....

Betcha he was trapped by the tide....

after speaking to one of my bros he said no it was not just the tide, my dad was seeing wierd lights hovering etc.. He know thinks earth lights are demons conversing....(honestly, i can barely believe some of the stuff as well).

I d put it down to my dad being a bit mad if other people had not been there, maybe it was a collective hallucination brought on by wishfull thinking?

Ah, then that explains it. Earthlights may bother some people. I myself have never been scared, but then, I have never seen one close to!

I have no idea of any faulting round the island. any of you lot know where I can find an online geological map??

Dear Ilkit:

1)You own your own soul, unless you have already bartered it , in which case you can still get it back(See 3 below).
2) Don' t believe everything "born again" christians tell you in the course of their shenanigans. They can easily be possessed by the devil themselves.
3) All you need to do is espouse a major christian faith which you feel comfortable with, and talk it through with a minister/vicar/priest. Or me if you are really worried about it. Anything else you have been told is bollocks

And what would a priest know about geomagnetic phenomena??

But what would Satan be doing on a place like Lindisfarne anyway? Wouldnt he prefer Iona where theres more visitors?

(I really have no idea if he prefers busy or quiet places for his hols.)

i myself am sure the 'devil' has better things to do than possess people! Some people just mad, others bad.

Homo Aves, you did get me wondering tho, where would Satan go on his hols? I mean would he go somewhere really cold? Just for a change?

I have no idea, hes used to extreemes of tempreture.

I imagine he would like the `really` exclusive resorts where the really rich or cunning people go, the sort of place that no one else has ever heard of.

There is no record of him ever visiting Anton LaVey...

Stornoway on a wet sunday in february.... just trust me on this one :)

Kath

I drove by Anton LaVey's house a couple times in San Francisco. This was after he had passed of course. It was gated off, and slated to be torn down from what I hear.

The Holy Island thing is very interesting. I want to know more about it too! The 70s were a classic time for many people to get mixed up in things they would regret later.

No, but I do regret being born in the 70s, its the sort of decade you want to miss.

to have had to live through the 70s and the 80s.. eeugh..

There occasionally seems to be a revival in oddness every few years or so , just think if my dad had had the same experience in the 90s, we could have been in some wierd UFO cult :)

no one seems to have had any wierd experience on Holy Island, so it looks like ill have to put the whole thing down to group hysteria. Ah well.

Back