• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this going to turn out to be a big wind up, there are images in there that look suspiciously like a computer mouse.;)

AFAIK it's genuine. I got a mail from the young lady and her URL was at the bottom and I stumbled across it. I thought it would be interesting to others on this board.

I think I have the answer. A set of arabic lettering with an array of numerical values in a "grid" type system. Translation of page one follows:

"Appetizers
Falafel - 4.99 (two for 7.99)
Rice cakes - 3.99
Humus - 3.50
Goats cheese - 3.99

All main courses served with complemetary pita bread and goats cheese."

I would go on, but if I spend too much time on that site I fear I may go blind. :cool:

The squares aren't magic. My numbers above are correct. I read them in the right direction since one of the numbers was 10, which backwards would be 01.

The /\ and \/ are digits. The "mice" are letters, but I don't know enough Arabic to be able to read it handwritten.

hachihyaku> Somehow missed yer detailed post there... don't doubt yer reckoning - Looks very mysterious but probably quite mundane... We need someone fluent in the language!

Success!

> These seem to be charms written by some sheikh to cure from a bladder
> disease and to ward off evil spirits
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: xxxxxxxx
> Sent: 15 February 2002 16:05
> To: xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject:
>
> http://www.wcas.co.uk/book2/book2.html
>
> Thank you - If you click on the link above and choose the pictures -
> there are photos of pages of the book.
>
> Is it in Arabic?
> Does it say anything important?
>
> much thanks .
>
>

I still await a reply from my Arabic speaker! It'll be interesting to see if he agrees!

In the meantime, do you have any info on how old the pages are, and when and how your friend got hold of them? One seems older than the rest, judging by the fading of the ink and the colour of the paper. Or did your translator give any evidence of date?

[Standing beneath Anna's window, sporting a sombrero, red rose and battered looking guitar]

Are you lonesome toniiiight?
Do you miss me toniiiiight?
Are you sorry we drifted apaaaart?

[Pauses for difficult chord change]

Hang on, I can get this....

Does your memory straaaay
To a brighter sunny daaaay
When I....

*Twang*

Balls!

rynner said:
I still can't see the pages - got this message: "This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download."

What's worse, I didn't get the lovely ladies of Welwyn either!

Don't be disheartened, Rynner, they might be like the Ladies of Langollen . . .

Carole

I live there! The Sarah Ponsonby pub serves a cracking thai curry ;)

Dr. Alsabti's fascinating reply:

"I asked an expert in this line and this is the answer:

Yes, it is Arabic, old Arabic that goes back to the time when Arabs were in Spain some 1000 years ago.
It is a black magic

1) Top Left: The left side should be top and translate as a way to make your enemy go blind by putting one of his or her hairs in the rectangle, roll the paper and put it across his or her path. When your enemy walk on it . He or she will go blind.

2) Center left: It is upside down. It translates, Triangle and ring on the finger. God (Allah)will bless

3) Lower Left: It is upside down. It is not very clear but translate
roughly: When the sun is rising dust market, dust guard, and please God make things easy. You can bless and give.

4) Top Right; It translates; cover the rings with the blood of the rat, then you will see that the enemy will not open his or her eye and the thief's fingers will be paralyzed with the help of God ( Allah)

5) The last is upside down. it translate; put the name of the woman in the eye in the center of the diagram. Take dust of a woman's feet and place it in the clothes of the man with some goats hair. Add also a hair of the woman . Put this in the man's clothes. her man will die. There is also some verses of the Koran.

I hope you will find these useful.

Best regards
Al"

Captain Buttock said:
I would go on, but if I spend too much time on that site I fear I may go blind. :cool:

Well, there's a thing... looks like it is to make people go blind... Irrational fear caused by past-life ability to read Arabic? :D

Is Dr. Alsabti for real?

Or a twisted Bastard? plus il?

I apologize if he is real, not wishing to cause a diplomatic row
with a man armed with a meteor. :confused:

I don't understand your response, James - it seems out of character for you.

Yes, Dr Alsabti is real (and armed with an asteroid, not just a meteor!), and I will probably see him tomorrow night.

He took the trouble to get the opinion of a colleague on this, and pass it on, for which he deserves our thanks, not abuse.

rynner said:
Dr. Alsabti's fascinating reply:

"I asked an expert in this line and this is the answer......

Best regards
Al"

An answer, blimey:D

I don't understand your response, James - it seems out of character for you.

I think James was just pointing out that dralsabti can be 'twisted' into 'il bastard'

Ah! Didn't have my crossword head on that early in the morning!

Apologies for doubting the Doctor's existence. The links certainly
looked genuine but I wondered if a nice mystification was being
worked.

The solution seems so satisfyingly occult, I had thought "too good
(or evil) to be true". :)

WHAT A GOOD THREAD!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Wow! This is just the sort of thing everyone who picks up an old book in a foreign language he or she doesn't know absolutely craves finding!!!

What a lucky woman Anna Larke is to have an old book of Arabic curses. Like something out of peris-and-djinns folklore. Really smashing...! I wish I would find something like that. And the way everybody worked together to find the answer. This is a Golden Thread among a lot of dross. This is what threads are supposed to do.

I know I'm gushing, but it's thrilling to find something magical in today's world, and if the magic is served with mystery, vinegar, mayonnaise and chips like this one-- Well, I say, "Reel it in!"

--WJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back