• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Whatever Happened To......?

Anybody able to help with this?

Ages ago in an old issue of FT (72-85 or so. around 1995 ish) there was a passing reference to a device available in the 1920's-30's which consisted of a "Magnetic Pyramid" used to re-sharpen blunt razor blades.

I've been looking for any information on this for ages, what it was, did it actually work, why don't we have them now, that sort of thing. Just wondered if anyone could come up with an idea.

--kiel--

You can still buy those kind of things in any new age shop. Supposed to be able to sharpen razor blades, keep fruit fresh and other assorted miracles. The razor blade thing is apparently something inherent in the steel. An effect you can also get by letting them lay on your kitchen table for a week. On another thread there was more about it.

Piezo-electric devices were sold for two main purposes in the
seventies and eighties. Lighting gas stoves was the main one.

The other was to neutralize the static charge on vinyl records.

These anti-stat wands were also useful for stinging disliked
relatives during their prolonged wet embraces, as I discovered
one Christmas.

Well it sorted out Uncle Bert anyway. :p

Xanatic said:
You can still buy those kind of things in any new age shop. Supposed to be able to sharpen razor blades, keep fruit fresh and other assorted miracles. The razor blade thing is apparently something inherent in the steel. An effect you can also get by letting them lay on your kitchen table for a week. On another thread there was more about it.

That reminds me of something I saw in a cooking equipment shop as few years ago. I was a little (no more than 5 cm long x 3cm wide) almond shaped, thing made out of brushed stainless steel.

The write up on the package claimed that by rubbing your palms with it after chopping garlic or onions, it could magically remove the smell from your hands.

I never bought one (£4.99 being far too much of my student budget at the time !).. but I always wondered how it worked .. and Unfortunately have never seen one for sale since.

Does anyone know how this worked ?

I was a little (no more than 5 cm long x 3cm wide) almond shaped, thing

now that's what i call fortean! and then who or what turned you into human?:) :) :)

ginoide said:
now that's what i call fortean! and then who or what turned you into human?:) :) :)

That's what I call cheeky !! No.. really it was a 'typo' I mean't to say ''It was.....etc. etc. ''

Well, remember that there are certain requirements you need to meet to get a product patented in America. But that it actually works isn't included.

It's a "Culinare-freash hands" HAARP!!!!

I picked up one at a car boot sale last year, for 50p. & it was unused!!!!

You'r supposed to rub it over your hands & under cold running water for 30 seconds, but never seems to work for me. I still end up with soap & water & my hands still smell of onion, but then who cares as by that time I'm eating the food I 've cooked.:)

David said:
It's a "Culinare-freash hands" HAARP!!!!

Thanks David ! I think my curiosity has been quenched now !

I'm glad I didn't buy one - it seemed a bit too good to be true...

Why would any one want to remove the good clean scent of onions, garlic and chillies from their hands???

Niles ":confused:" Calder

Very true Niles, but don't forget we live in a funny world.

Don't forget all those products that are advertised as not just getting a kitchen but virtually sterilizing all working surfaces or those aerosols & extractors to get rid of the smell of cooking!!!!

Back