• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why Do Ghosts & Apparitions Commonly Resemble Monks?

David Raven said:
101 - I know, it's very objective, but the blue-grey lines reminded me of hooded figures :D

Oh, ok. So long as I'm loking at the right things. I'd hate to think that I'd just given myself eye-strain staring at the bluey-grey bits when there was some blindingly obvious, almost corporeal -looking monk stood somewhere else in the picture, waving a placard that said "Look over here, I'm a ghost!"
I shall have to have another peek at the pic now, equipped with the expectation of seeing hooded figures there, and see if the forethought affects my perception. That almost sounds like an experiment - sad that it just means I'll have another sqizz at the piccy.

The Virgin Queen said:
Good band.

Didn't they have their heads shaved into whateverthenameofthemonkinshhaircutis - cowls?

The "monk" hairstyle is the tonsure. Usually, the crown of the head is shaved so that the monks hair represents the crown of thorns of Christ. Back in the early Christian period, priests and monks representing Celtic Christianity shaved their heads from ear to ear, so that from the front, it would represent Christs halo. After the Council of Whitby, when the Saxon king chose Roman Christianity over Celtic, this type of tonsure became very rare then obsolete. Some commentators drew similarities between the Cetic tonsure to the traditional hairstyle of the druids.

You know I wouldn't be surprised if the tonsure (and skullcap) were introduced to conceal a particularly embarrasing bald spot in some early priest... :eek:

Stormkhan said:
Back in the early Christian period, priests and monks representing Celtic Christianity shaved their heads from ear to ear, so that from the front, it would represent Christs halo.

I thought they went for a 'shaved head with ponny tail' thing (in Ireland anyway.) Shame I don't have a book at hand to check up on it :(

I think the Eastern Christians, such as the Greek and Russian Orthodox used to shave their heads ... but no longer.

Stormkhan said:
I think the Eastern Christians, such as the Greek and Russian Orthodox used to shave their heads ... but no longer.

to be honest I was trying to remember an obscure fact from my 'Early Irish History' classes. I have no idea where to find valadation of it but I'll try (on the other hand I may never get round to it :) )

It was the early Irish church that started up the Virgin Mary cult so prevelent today...oh sure they gave us the Book of Kells but did they realy have to do the Virgin Mary thing :(

I think head shaving or cropping is faorly common whenever there's a style for wearing wigs or very close fitting hats or whatever... look at rufus sewell being charlie 2 at the moment.

Those nuns I have known well enough to know (grand sample of two!) wore a modern headdress of an alice-band with an attached veil. Their hair was cut very short with an electric razor once a week to keep it easy to manage. One said she had other things to think about and besides, it gave one the opportunity for a really enjoyable scratch!

When I was a small child she was one of my favourite people.

Kath

In FT 411, a story from 1999, but new to the ghost monk canon, a tale from Scunthorpe where a 20-yr-old and her mother looked outside from their house one night and saw a cowled monk striding along the road. But he was nearly 15 feet tall! Noting this was unusual, they were even more surprised to see him disappear into the bushes, vanishing-style.

They said they regretted not investigating further, but it never crossed their minds at the time. Isn't it always the way?

I came across quite a few instances of monk like ghosts in my town but there is no correlation with existing religious buildings (the ruins in the town are well known).
But I did find a story in a local hotel that has been converted to apartments. In the mid to late 1990s the proprietors said they hadn't seen any ghosts but their son had and his description sounded monk like. The proprietor said (IMHO bot convincingly) that the long "gown" could be a wedding dress. There's a story of a new bride who was supposedly killed in the building and she haunts it.

In FT 411, a story from 1999, but new to the ghost monk canon, a tale from Scunthorpe where a 20-yr-old and her mother looked outside from their house one night and saw a cowled monk striding along the road. But he was nearly 15 feet tall! Noting this was unusual, they were even more surprised to see him disappear into the bushes, vanishing-style.

They said they regretted not investigating further, but it never crossed their minds at the time. Isn't it always the way?

That sounds like the ghost photo in Newby (?) church. Monk like and unnaturally tall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange. Just as people were putting out the above few posts, I was reading a short story by Anton Chekhov called The Black Monk. (!893)

At a bit of a stretch, you could call it a ghost story. The thing is, there is no tradition of ghost stories in Russian literature in quite the same way as there is in English literature. What ghost stories there are - starting with Pushkin's `The Queen of Spades` - tend to be allegorical or psychological (but no less interesting because of that).

In this story, a scientist-cum- philosopher, recovering from nervous strain in the mansion of an acquaintance, receives visitations from a mysterious black monk who informs the man that he has a special role in the spiritual development of mankind.

Both the characters in the story and the narrative treat the incidents as hallucinations and the protagonist eventually gets psychiatric treatment. Chekhov was a doctor by trade and may have had a case of delusional megalomania in mind. You can still read the tale as a ghost story though, as it's quite ambiguous.

The origins of the Black Monk myth (which predate the hallucinations) are given in the story as follows:

A thousand years ago a certain monk, dressed in black was walking across a desert -somewhere in Syria or Arabia....A few miles hence from where he was walking a fisherman saw another black monk slowly moving across the surface of the lake. This was a mirage....The mirage produced another one. This second mirage produced a third, so that the image of the black monk began to be transmitted endlessly fro m one end of the atmosphere to the other. (p-47, Chekhov, Anton, Penguin Classics: A Nervous Breakdown: London, Random House UK,, 2004).

What I can't tell you is whether this is some intriguing urban myth that was knocking around in Chekhov's day, or whether Chekhov himself just made it up for the purpose of his story and whether it was meant to represent a fantasy cooked up by the protagonist himself as a part of the onset of his madness.

Back