• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why has the genetics community discarded so many phenotypes?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
DiversityWhy has the genetics community discarded so many ph

On Human DiversityWhy has the genetics community discarded so many phenotypes?
By Armand M. Leroi

HEAD CASES:
The physical phenotypic differences between this Sudanese skull (right) and this European skull (left) are apparent. (From J.L.A. de Quatrefages, E.T. Hamy, Crania ethnica: les Cranes des races humaines, Baillere et fils: Paris, 1882.)Henry Flower became director of the British Museum of Natural History in 1884, and promptly set about rearranging exhibits. He set a display of human skulls to show their diversity of shape across the globe. A century later, the skulls had gone, and in their place was a large photograph of soccer fans standing in their terraces bearing the legend: "We are all members of a single species, Homo sapiens. But we are not identical." In 2004 even this went, and so it is that the world's greatest natural history museum has nothing to say to the public about the nature and extent of human biological diversity.

Of course, The Natural History Museum, as the British Museum of Natural History is now known, is not the only institution to relegate such demonstrations to the basement. After the 1960s, physical anthropologists, struggling to bury the idea of race, buried phenotypes as well – sometimes literally so, as human remains have been reinterred by aboriginal claimants. They turned, instead, to comfortably neutral genetic markers to unravel the highways and byways of human history. This magnificent enterprise has charted our species' path out of Africa using successive generations of markers: blood type, allozyme, mitochondrial DNA, the Y chromosome, and nuclear single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs). But is it enough? I would argue not. I would argue that it is time to resurrect the study of human phenotypic diversity.

ON HUMAN DIVERSITY

It is one of the oddities of human genetics that, for all we know about the basis of inherited disease, we know very little about the causes of normal physical variety. Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man lists the molecular causes of about 1,800 inherited diseases. Yet we know very little about why the Dinka of the Sudan are so tall and African pygmies so small, why the Yakut of Siberia have such high basal metabolic rates, why the Sea Gypsies of Indonesia can see so well underwater, why the Yoruba of Nigeria have so many dizygotic twins, or even why the colors of our skin, eyes, and hair vary across the globe.

A NOSE FOR VARIETY:
The distribution of nasal prominence (nasodacryl subtense) in African and European skulls. The 317 European skulls are Hungarian, Norwegian, and Austrian; the 283 Sub-Sahara African skulls are Dogon, Zulu, and Teita. Data from Howells (1989).

Three reasons, I believe, underlie the neglect of these traits. First, they are associated with racial biology, now unfashionable. Second, they are often of little relevance to human health. And third, they are probably genetically complex traits, influenced by multiple loci that interact with each other, and sometimes with the environment, in complex ways.

A new approach to analyzing quantitative traits, called admixture mapping, seems ideal for studying normal human variety. The principle is simple. Suppose that two isolated populations differ in some heritable attribute. Now suppose that individuals from these populations meet and mate so that, after many generations, a thoroughly admixed population of descendants exists. Each descendant will have some unique mix of the ancestral genomes, and the attributes of each will depend on what that mix is. By studying many descendants it is then possible, in principle, to map the gene (or genes) responsible for the attribute by showing that it appears only in those who have inherited a given genomic region from one, but not the other, of the ancestral populations.

David Reich's group at Harvard Medical School provided a set of ancestral genetic markers for African and European genomes.1 Screening through the hundreds of thousands of biallelic SNPs in the genomic databases, they identified 2,154 that showed substantial (>30%) differences in allele frequency between West Africans and Europeans. Moreover, software to cope with noncausal linkages that population stratification throws up has now been developed.2,3

Many think that admixture mapping will be a valuable adjunct to more traditional methods of mapping complex traits. In one promising test run, Neil Risch's group at Stanford University showed that African Americans with hypertension have a higher probability of African ancestry for two genomic regions – 6q24 and 21q21 – than their nonhypertensive relatives.4 If this result is replicated it will no longer be possible to claim that the racial disparity in the rates of this disease is due entirely to socioeconomic factors or even the direct effect of racism itself.

Armand M. Leroi
For admixture mapping to work, ancestral populations must differ substantially in the frequencies of disease-causing alleles. It's unclear how often this is true. Yet even if the technique isn't ultimately useful for hunting disease genes, there is another application for which it could have been tailor made: the study of normal racial variety. Recently, Mark Shriver's group at Pennsylvania State University used a form of admixture mapping in African Americans to show that two genes, TYR and OCA2, were linked to skin colors. It was the first hint of the genes underlying the diversity that is at once so commonplace and so mysterious. Even more delightful, the two genes identified were already known to be involved in pigmentation: Strong loss-of-function mutations in each cause albinism.

GETTING PAST THE SKULLDUGGERY

What might be studied next? Although a controversial topic, skulls seem an obvious choice. Studies by the American anthropologist Franz Boas nearly a hundred years ago convincingly suggested that skull shape was not heritable. He found that differences in the skulls of European immigrants arriving at Ellis Island were less evident in their American-born children. But recent reanalysis of Boas' data show that ancestral differences in skull shape were hardly influenced by environment.6

Skulls are easy to obtain, easy to measure, and vary richly in shape. In a classic study, the doyen of modern craniometry, William Howells, measured (among others) 317 European skulls and 283 Sub-Saharan African skulls in 81 different ways.7 If his data are representative they imply, for example, that European noses are, on average, more prominent than African noses, but many Africans and Europeans do not differ in this trait. Other well documented differences: European noses are set higher on the face, and are longer and narrower than African noses. Europeans have higher cheekbones, wider crania and more prominent foreheads than Africans. Europeans also have slightly longer crania than Africans, but the difference is mostly one of shape, Europeans being more brachycephalic than Africans. African jaws protrude more from the face than do European jaws (the former are more prognathic). Africans have wider orbits and wider interorbital spaces than Europeans.

These kinds of differences are simply those that we see when we look at the faces around us. They are not large, much less absolute, yet power calculations suggest that they should be amenable to admixture mapping (Leroi unpublished data). And we can make some guesses as to what sort of genes might underlie such variety. Many inherited disorders affect the face and skull, and the mutations responsible for many of them are known.8,9 For example, if one were studying interorbital distance (the distance between the eyes), 7q36 would be a good place to look, for that is the location of the gene encoding Sonic Hedgehog, which developmental and clinical geneticists have shown controls the width of our faces.

Of course, identifying the genes responsible for normal human variety is only the first step. There is a long tradition of speculation about whether racial differences in appearance are due to drift, natural selection, or even sexual selection. Such hypotheses can be tested by searching for the traces of selection in the genes that give us our looks. That, however, is for the future. And enthusiasm must be tempered by the recognition that such studies come with their own ethical and sociological problems. Medical geneticists rightly worry that misinterpretations might promote racial divisions or inflame the sensitivities of historically disenfranchised minority groups. Such concerns become even more acute when studying traits of no medical relevance and which have, as skull dimensions do, the taint of 19th-century racist science. My own view, or rather, hope, is that such concerns can be allayed given sufficient care, sensitivity, and candor on the part of researchers. Humans are, after all, the most phenotypically diverse species of mammal, perhaps animal, on earth. It would be a shame were we never to know why.

Armand M. Leroi is a reader in evolutionary developmental biology at Imperial College London. He wrote Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body, and the Channel 4/Discovery UK's series Human Mutants.

He can be contacted at [email protected]..

http://www.the-scientist.com/2005/10/24/16/1

References

1. MW Smith et al, "A high-density admixture map for disease gene discovery in African Americans," Am J Hum Genet 2004, 74: 1001-13. [PubMed Abstract][Publisher Full Text][PubMed Central Full Text]
2. CJ Hoggart et al, "Design and analysis of admixture mapping studies," Am J Hum Genet 2004, 74: 965-78. [PubMed Abstract][Publisher Full Text][PubMed Central Full Text]
3. N Patterson et al, "Methods for high-density admixture mapping of disease genes," Am J Hum Genet 2004, 74: 979-1000. [PubMed Abstract][Publisher Full Text][PubMed Central Full Text]
4. X Zhu et al, "Admixture mapping for hypertension loci with genome-scan markers," Nat Genet 2005, 37: 177-81. [PubMed Abstract][Publisher Full Text]
5. MD Shriver et al, "Skin pigmentation, biogeographical ancestry and admixture mapping," Hum Genet 2003, 112: 387-99. [PubMed Abstract][Publisher Full Text]
6. CS Sparks, RL Jantz "A reassessment of human cranial plasticity. Boas revisited," Proc Natl Acad Sci 2002, 99: 14636-9. [PubMed Abstract][Publisher Full Text][PubMed Central Full Text]
7. WW Howells Skull Shapes and the Map, Cambridge: Mass., Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology 1989.
8. MM Cohen "Malformations of the craniofacial region: Evolutionary, embryonic, genetic, and clinical perspectives," Am J Hum Gen 2002, 115: 245-68.
9. AM Leroi Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body, Viking: New York 2003.

Political correctness. We're now not allowed to have a scientific debate about physiological differences between races (that's the way it seems anyway).

What is annoying political correctness to some people is protection from derogatory comments to others. And I'm not referring to the kind of political correctness that says you can't call blackboards black - we can all see that's ridiculous (I hope). But if scientists were to, for example, start reporting findings that people of lighter skin tone were more likely to pass on their genes, you can see how that might fuel the fires of certain nasty political groups.

You wouldn't label it political correctness if you'd ever been at the sharp end of a racist insult, encouraged by the distortion of scientific research.

Most geneticists I have met live in terror of any hint of possible racism, believe me

mindalai said:
What is annoying political correctness to some people is protection from derogatory comments to others. And I'm not referring to the kind of political correctness that says you can't call blackboards black - we can all see that's ridiculous (I hope). But if scientists were to, for example, start reporting findings that people of lighter skin tone were more likely to pass on their genes, you can see how that might fuel the fires of certain nasty political groups.

You wouldn't label it political correctness if you'd ever been at the sharp end of a racist insult, encouraged by the distortion of scientific research.

Sorry but isn't "ignoring" differences even more racist/ patronising than mentioning them?
After all not all differences are negative, there could be for example findings that some races are good at one thing but crap at the other.
We have all acknowledged that certain illnesses are genetic, like sickle cell anemia [ bad ] for example but on the other hand it saves sufferers from contracting Malaria [ good ]. So what is everybody afraid of unless someone knows something that is held back because it seems "too bad"...and that is what I find really really patronising if it was the case.
I would want to know if "my background" is different to others and in what way [but that's the scientist in me].
Lets face it, we might all be "human" but we are all completely different to each other and that is where our strength lies, we should love being different and not shy away from it.
All this crap about all races are all the same inside blablabla is just not true. Japanese for example lack an enzyme to break down alcohol in their bodies, hence they get pissed quicker. So what, isn't it good to know about this, as you might end up with alcohol poisoning [if you are Japanese that is]?
Bring it on geneticists and don't do a "Victorian".

In the 80's I found a glossy book in my college library, which simply contained hundreds of pages of photographs of all the races in the world. I was absolutely spellbound by it, & would spend hours simply looking at all the different faces. I seriously doubt you'd get such a thing in book shops or libraries now, but I could be wrong- if anyone's seen it let me know because I want one!

It's ironic that the piece particularly mentions skull morphology. This is perhaps the most sensitive physical variation possible, as alluded to by the mention of '19th century racist science'. Skull size has been, in the not-so-distant past used by racist anthropologists to 'prove' that 'preadamites' or black people had smaller skull capacity (insinuation being smaller brain size, and thus intelligence) than Europeans, and by others to 'prove' that skulls of e.g black people were similar in appearance to lower primates. This incredibly rubbish 'science' has then been used to prop up racist and religious theories and also eugenics.

So it's not any wonder anthropologists and scientists are rather careful. The safest position has been to ignore these things completely. Having said that though, it's time to brush all that crap aside, see how utterly laughable it was and put it firmly in the past. There's a lot to learn.

I certainly wasn't saying that no research should be done into racial and genetic differences. I work in a profession where knowing about such things is vital. I just meant that the results would have to handled very carefully, and that consequences do have to be considered to make sure we don't get a repeat of the old skull-measurement arguments. That's not "political correctness gone mad" (as the tabloids like to say), its protecting people from discrimination.

I'm fairly certain it has been established that there are far more genetic differences within individual populations (racial groups) than between them.

It is a difficult area to get into and it does seem to attract researchers who have their own, rather unpleasant, agenda (eg the professor at Edinburgh University about a decade ago who openly stated his belief that women and blacks were intellectually inferior to white men and that this was genetic).

I should imagine most of the differences between racial groups is due to (relatively) recent external influences anyway - eg the example above on alcohol - it is not surprising that Northern Europeans, who have been binge drinking for thousands of years, can generally cope with booze better than those from cultures where alcohol has not traditionally been drunk to excess, or even at all. There's nothing at all wrong with pointing this out. On the other hand, I get uneasy when people are keen to dwell on racial differences.

I think they are scared to find that 99% of us are the same race....

...mixed.....

I was wondering the other day why every 'evolution of man' pictutre i've ever seen (the one that starts with the chimp-thing, goes to homo erectus etc...) has featured the homo sapiens as a white caucasian male.

Surely, if the cradle of humanity was Africa the first homo sapiens would be dark skinned?

I've often thought the same. But I guess if it showed a black early man turning into a white modern man, there would be bloody murder.

Ah, but he was not a modern African...possibly something more like a dark skinned eurasian.....

Something offensive for everyone, eh?

Most geneticists I have met live in terror of any hint of possible racism, believe me

I don't think I've ever met a single geneticist ever! :)

Heard a woman on tv the other day mocking a news story which claimed that obese workers were less productive. She said that she'd like to see some scientific evidence of that, but I wonder, would she really? What if the science proved that it were true?

This is what annoys me about materialists or 'lay scientists' (as I refer to them), or anyone who regards 'scientific truth' as being the bottom line. Surely scientific enquiry has to be mediated by more fundamental values regarding what constitutes morally legitimate research?

Though differences between the sexes are apparently fair game. Why is it some "researchers" get funding to prove that women can't read maps or do maths but others do not get funding to study, say, heart disease in women (its mostly only studied in men despite being a bigger killer of women than breast cancer)? :roll:

Interestingly, I recently heard a talk from a researcher who was redoing a study by a South African doctor which showed that black people do not suffer the same complications with obesity(ie diabetes, heart disease etc) to the extent that white people do. This, at the time, was pretty much used as an excuse not to treat black people with obesity and so was rightly regarded as dodgy. However the new study found the same effects. This can now be used to better understand obesity rather than to just ignore a whole section of society. So in some cases, studying differences between races CAN turn out to be useful. I guess it depends entirely on what the study is actually FOR..

Heard a woman on tv the other day mocking a news story which claimed that obese workers were less productive. She said that she'd like to see some scientific evidence of that, but I wonder, would she really? What if the science proved that it were true?

The problem is that science can never "prove" that blacks are less intelligent than whites, that women can't do sums, that overweight people are hopeless employees, etc etc. The most these studies ever do is show a statistical pattern that, for example, there are more males than females scoring in the top 10% of results for a maths test (or whatever). The media then picks up on this and reports the story as "Women are crap at maths - official!".

I think the key thing is to treat people as individuals. Even if, for argument's sake, there are more lazy fat people than lazy thin people, that's not to say that your most productive employee might just happen to be overweight. If you judge individuals on their own merits and not because they happen to be part of a particular group with its perceived strengths and weaknesses then I think we would all be a lot better off.

This just goes to show that we cant give blind trust to those who either, go out into the field and dig for specimins etc or those who examine and quantify them back at the museum/university etc. Everyone has their own agenda. So efforts need to be made to have group desicions wherever possible, to hopefully keep away any dogma in whatever form. let the facts and exhibits speak for themselves and let the public draw their own conclusions.

Quake42 said:
I think the key thing is to treat people as individuals. Even if, for argument's sake, there are more lazy fat people than lazy thin people, that's not to say that your most productive employee might just happen to be overweight. If you judge individuals on their own merits and not because they happen to be part of a particular group with its perceived strengths and weaknesses then I think we would all be a lot better off.

Exactly!! I think you've summed it up perfectly there.

Quake42 said:

I quite agree. So where does that leave us if we have, say, an insurance company like Diamond aimed exclusively at women because statistically they are less expensive to insure (I've heard that this is not because women have less accidents - they actually have more - but because they're less reckless the damage is likely to be less serious).

We hear all kinds of claims about people on mediterranean islands with a gene that turns 'bad' cholesterol into 'good' cholesterol, and east asians lacking a gene to break down alcohol as well as westerners. It could all go a bit GATTACA couldn't it?

I agree with Leroi. It is a waste to not investigate such a thing as human genetic diversity. For one thing it would tell us alot about ourselves, where we come from and how we are different from the animals. And I find it interestring, along with cultural diversity.
Of course the problem of science is it tells you how things are rather than how you want them to be. The results might not be very politically correct. Even so, I think we have too much political correctness in the world hindering us already.

And go read Mutants by Leroi, quite an interesting book.

I quite agree. So where does that leave us if we have, say, an insurance company like Diamond aimed exclusively at women because statistically they are less expensive to insure (I've heard that this is not because women have less accidents - they actually have more - but because they're less reckless the damage is likely to be less serious).

It's an interesting topic. There was an attempt by the EU to outlaw sex discrimination in financial services a few years ago... from memory it failed. It would have resulted in better annuity rates for women but higher car and medical insurance.

Also, I'm fairly certain when I say that women do in fact have fewer accidents per mile than men. And, as you say, when they do have accidents it tends to involve low speed collisions and minor damage, rather than cars written off and people seriously injured. They are also less likely to speed and to drink drive than men.

I remember looking at car rental here in Ireland a while ago. They said on the homepage in order to rent a car you had to be 21(I think), but if you were Spanish or Italian you had to be 25. This was for renting a car in ireland. I guess in some cultures they do drive differently, so it might be justified. Even if not very PC.

Back