• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Woman Had Sweat Bees Living In Her Eye & Drinking Her Tears

Doctors treating a Taiwanese woman with an eye infection was surprised when they found four bees embedded in her eye, feeding from her tear ducts, Taiwanese news channel CTS has reported.
In a news broadcast uploaded to YouTube on April 3, a CTS reporter said that the 29-year-old Taiwanese woman – identified by her surname He – went to Fooyin University Hospital in Taiwan after experiencing severe pain in her eye.
There, doctors found the bees feeding on her tear ducts under her swollen eyelids, CTS said.
The hospital’s head of ophthalmology, Dr Hung Chi-ting said at a press conference that such bees nest near graves and in fallen trees, so chances of coming across them while hiking in the mountains are high, Apple Daily Taiwan reported.“I was visiting and tidying a relative’s grave with my family. I was squatting down and pulling out weeds,” He said at a news conference.
Assuming that sand or dirt had gotten into her eye, He said that she cleaned her eye with water at the time.
However, she started experiencing a stinging pain and teared continuously.
During the press conference, Dr Hung said: “I saw something that looked like insect legs, so I pulled them out under a microscope slowly, and one at a time without damaging their bodies.”
The insects were later identified as sweat bees, Apple Daily said.
Dr Huang explained to reporters that even though sweat bees do not attack people, they are attracted to the perspiration of humans.

https://www.businessinsider.sg/a-ta...ees-living-in-her-eye-and-drinking-her-tears/

I have so many questions about these grave-dwelling sweat bees.

I have so many questions about these grave-dwelling sweat bees.
Thank god they weren't the size of the bumble bee I found in the bathroom yesterday. Huge doesn't come into it. Whilst trying to explain to it that there was nothing edible in there, Ms Petes was hopping about on the other side of the door desperate. Fortunately it flew off in a huff. "Who were you talking to?" . I explained and was met with the roll eye/ slamming door response. Sigh.

I think it's only polite to explain to any beast that wanders into your home why it would be better outside.

I have also found that directing a very loud shout of "OUT" to any bee or wasp that flies in through an open door or window tends to make it turn around and fly out the way it came. I have had quite a lot of success with this method* (but not with flies)

*Well, that's the way I remember it :)

I think it's only polite to explain to any beast that wanders into your home why it would be better outside.

I have also found that directing a very loud shout of "OUT" to any bee or wasp that flies in through an open door or window tends to make it turn around and fly out the way it came. I have had quite a lot of success with this method* (but not with flies)

I suspect the intruder was female, just from the way it kept ignoring me.

Works for me too, but I'm usually a bit more gentle.

This story is now in 4 different threads.

Did it pout and sulk?
Whilst I can instantly recognise the human female pouty sulky expression( although Ms Petes never does this) not sufficiently expert on the bee world to determine whether it flew off giving off those signals or a "Ha - I'll be back" look.

Back