• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

World Records (Miscellaneous)

I was put in mind of 'Around the world in 80 days' earlier, and it set me thinking as to whether the 'round the world' record has been broken many times?
Turns out either I'm terrible at finding stuff out, or a specific record doesn't exist.
Oh yes, there are all sorts of circumnavigation records 'in the books'....records for 'countries visited', 'fastest flying', 'fastest sailing', etc etc but no specific 'around the world without flying' record, or at least, not one that I could find.
And you really have to rule out flying (except maybe in a balloon) as per the original '80 days' tale.
Clive James attempted a 24-hour circumnavigation by scheduled flights some time in the '80s.

a 24-hour circumnavigation by scheduled flights
Would probably be difficult to do nowadays seeing as we don't have Concorde and the longest flights are about half way around the round and take 17+ hours.
https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/airlines/longest-nonstop-flights-in-the-world/
1677600776056.png

Clive James attempted a 24-hour circumnavigation by scheduled flights some time in the '80s.
Some quick googling suggests he was attempting the circumnavigation in three days. This makes arithmetical sense.

Edit: Guinness World Records have the current record as 41 hours 18 mins, but don't give any qualifying criteria.

Would probably be difficult to do nowadays seeing as we don't have Concorde and the longest flights are about half way around the round and take 17+ hours.
A circumnavigation has to be a distance of 23,000 miles or so. It would take three scheduled flights to go round the world in hops of 7,000-8,000 miles each. Your figures above suggest this would take maybe 50 hours.

Concorde, of course had the speed to go round much faster but not the range nor the routes. Wikipedia lists Concorde as holding the circumnavigation world record at 32 hours 49mins including six refuelling stops.

Last edited:
A Mickey mouse record imho.

Walt Disney's famous quote, "If you can dream it, you can do it," has inspired many to pursue their dreams. And 50-year-old Jeff Reitz of Huntington Beach, California has certainly done just that. He now holds the Guinness World Record for "most consecutive visits to Disneyland."

The Air Force Veteran and former Walt Disney World cast member managed to visit the park for 2,995 consecutive calendar days, a remarkable achievement that came to a halt on Friday March 13, 2020 when the park closed due to COVID. It began in 2011 when he was going through a "long and difficult employment" and received an annual pass as a Christmas present. That's when he set himself a challenge to visit the park every day for a year.

After 60 consecutive visits and some media attention, Jeff decided to continue his streak, and before he knew it, he had spent over eight years visiting Disneyland every single day. ...

https://boingboing.net/2023/03/06/d...y-day-for-eight-years-earns-world-record.html

A fair day.

Puerto Ricans have broken the Guinness World Record for the most hair dyed, with 192 men going blond to support the US territory’s bid to win the World Baseball Classic.

The baseball team’s players first dyed their hair blond ahead of the 2017 World Baseball Classic as a joke, unexpectedly unleashing a dyeing craze in Puerto Rico that left pharmacies and beauty supply stores bereft of hair dye.

The tournament is usually held every four years but the pandemic delayed it by two years, so after six years many Puerto Ricans were eager to see if the trend would continue.

The players obliged and repeated the tradition this year, and people on the island of overwhelmingly dark hair once again responded via platinum blond, dirty blond and even burnt orange locks and beards to show their support. ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-41092918.html

No sharks about.

An Australian man has broken the world record for the longest surfing session - clocking more than 40 hours in the process.

At the end, Blake Johnston was carried on the shoulders of friends up Cronulla beach in south Sydney, describing himself as "pretty cooked".
Johnston began surfing early on Thursday morning in aid of mental health awareness. His effort has raised some A$335,000 (£185,000; $225,000) for charity.

With spotlights to illuminate a section of Cronulla's surf known as "The Alley", Johnston kept going overnight and had ridden over 700 waves by the end.

The previous record of 30 hours and 11 minutes was held by South African Josh Enslin.

The 40-year-old Johnston, a former pro surfer and distance runner, faced the risk of blindness, infected ears and dehydration, as well as sleep deprivation, hypothermia, shark attack and jellyfish stings.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-64984949

I think we can probably rule him out of getting a job at this point, and any point in the future.
I didn't read through the whole article though. Maybe he is already employed in an obviously totally inappropriate role somewhere and they can't fire him.
Surely people should have their mental health checked before going through with this sort of thing?

I think we can probably rule him out of getting a job at this point, and any point in the future.
I didn't read through the whole article though. Maybe he is already employed in an obviously totally inappropriate role somewhere and they can't fire him.
Surely people should have their mental health checked before going through with this sort of thing?
He's a tattooist. They're always tattooists.
It's not badly paid.

To be fair, he's beaten your previous record .. but only by two horns Trev...

I think we can probably rule him out of getting Job Seeker's Allowance at this point.
No Doctor, when I said I want to be permanently horny, that's not what I meant.

A woman with altitude.

A harpist is on a mission to break her own Guinness World Record – this time on Mount Kilimanjaro – alongside a woman with cystic fibrosis who hopes to encourage others with the condition to achieve the “impossible”.

Siobhan Brady is to travel to Tanzania on July 17th with a team of roughly 19 others, as she attempts to break a Guinness World Record (GWR) for the highest altitude harp performance on Mount Kilimanjaro’s summit – a record she previously achieved in 2018 at Singla Pass, India, at more than 16,000ft.

The upcoming challenge was inspired by late fellow musician Desmond Gentle, whom Ms Brady achieved the 2018 GWR with, alongside a British woman called Anna Ray.

“Back in 2018, I went to London for a harp competition and was introduced to Desmond Gentle who ran a piano shop in Camden Market,” said the 24-year-old who lives in Limerick.

“He had done the deepest concert in a salt mine in Romania and was planning on doing the highest concert with a piano and he wanted me to come with a harp as a back-up because a piano could be easily broken.

“Then 10 days after we came back from India, Desmond died from thrombosis at the age of 69 – but the week before he died, he said he wanted to do this on Kilimanjaro, so we’re doing it in his memory.”

While on the seven-day hike, two 10kg harps will be carried by team members, in case one gets damaged, and while Ms Brady will be the only performer, the others on the team will be able to get a participation GWR if they reach the top.

Funds for the upcoming challenge are to go to Cystic Fibrosis Ireland and for Caroline Heffernan, a patient advocate at the charity, she wanted to do more than just support the cause through words of appreciation.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/lifesty...orld-record-on-mount-kilimanjaro-1460174.html

Bet it's full of beer!

Royal Marine to run London Marathon with fridge on back​

Sam Hammond
IMAGE SOURCE, SAM HAMMOND Image caption, Sam Hammond is hoping to finish the London Marathon in under five hours and 30 minutes

A Royal Marine is hoping to set a Guinness World Record by running Sunday's London Marathon with a fridge strapped to his back.

Sam Hammond, 30, broke a world record in February after running the fastest male half marathon with the same fridge, dubbed "Fridget Jones". Based at RNAS Culdrose at Helston, he is racing to raise money for the armed forces charity SSAFA. Mr Hammond said he was "definitely nervous" ahead of the longer challenge.

The current record for the fastest marathon carrying a household appliance (white goods) stands at five hours, 49 minutes and 37 seconds.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-65334987

I note with interest two records, greatest number of Ferrero Rocher in a minute (9) and fastest time to eat 15 (2 minutes 17 seconds).

watch this space...
Well they don't sound particularly difficult to beat.
But is it going to be like the old '3 water biscuits in a minute'?

Well they don't sound particularly difficult to beat.
But is it going to be like the old '3 water biscuits in a minute'?

The one minute record has stood since 2017 so not easy I guess but the training will be a lot more fun than that for a long distance running race (avoiding saying marathon as Trevp666 will inform us they are called Snickers now).

I note with interest two records, greatest number of Ferrero Rocher in a minute (9) and fastest time to eat 15 (2 minutes 17 seconds).

watch this space...
Did they have to unwrap them as well?

Back